    I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.

    Any thoughts?

    The Pete, Jul 13, 2007

  2. The Pete

    impossible Guest

    "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    I realize you've checked for spyware/malware, but that's what this sounds
    like. Could be as innocent-looking a thing as a "search" toolbar, or maybe
    some other little utility/application/addon you've installed, and some of
    these can be very difficult for standard spyware-malware scans to detect.
    Try this:

    Go Run...msconfig, and on the "general" tab select " "disgnostic startup".
    This temoporarily disables all but the most essential devices and services
    and gives you what used to be called a "clean boot". Reboot then and see if
    you experience any of the same problems. If not, then you know that
    something ordinarily loaded on startup is your culprit -- in which case you
    could then selctively enable devices/services/programs on startup and try to
    hone in what's causing the slowdown.

    Alternatively (or in combination with the above), run Task Manager |
    Processes after boot-up, before doing anything else, and then order the list
    by cpu-usage (there are better, handier tools for this, but TM will do fine
    for a basic inspection). The "System Idle Process" should be at the top, and
    under normal conditions on your machine I'm guessing that process should be
    consuming about 98-99% of the cpu. Monitor that for a few minutes, without
    launching any other programs. Now, to perceptively bog down a core2 duo,
    some program would probably need to be grabbing upwards of 30-40% of your
    cpu for a sustained period of time -- and that's the kind of thing you're
    ultimately looking for. But any process you see after boot-up that grabs
    more than 1-2% of your cpu for more than a few seconds is a candidate for
    concern, even if they aren't necessarily rogues, so jot those down along
    with their memory usage. Then leave Task Manager sitting on top and run
    whatever apps you ordinarily run, do what you ordinarily do, and check back
    with Task Manager from time to time to see what's changed -- especially if
    you start to "feel" the slowdown.

    Of course, if your system slows down and there's nothing actually hogging
    the cpu, then you might have some kind of memory/drive/configuration
    problem -- but since your machine is new and this problem only recently
    started, I doubt that's the case.

    Assuming you find some process hogs, it's easy to just google the name to
    identify it better and see what others have to say about it. Some may well
    turn out to be perfectly legitimate, so you can't just go deleting/disabling
    things. But if, say, you happened to discover that NIS was hogging your
    machine for some reason, you'd want to know this too.

    Good hunting!

    impossible, Jul 13, 2007

  3. The Pete

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    >> started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    >> scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    >> defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    >> temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    >> slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    >> and switch inbetween programs.
    >>
    >> I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    >> Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    Can't see your original post for some reason.
    Norton I S is the best place to start. Not likely you've added that many
    new programs over 2 months.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 14, 2007
  4. The Pete

    peterwn Guest

    The Pete wrote:
    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Has your HD filled up? This has happened twice on a friend's laptop and
    seems to be surplus 'temporary' files generated by anti virus software.
    They were buried in a hidden temporary sub-directory under Documents
    and Settings\username .

    peterwn, Jul 14, 2007
  5. The Pete

    Cadae Guest

    "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    This could be due to over-heating. If your CPU cooler is not mounted
    correctly or air-flows are blocked by dust or other obstructions, then the
    CPU will overheat and the BIOS will force the CPU to slow down to
    compensate.

    Try vacumming out any excess dust around the CPU cooler, and make sure none
    of your external vents are obstructed.

    PC

    Cadae, Jul 14, 2007
  6. The Pete

    Rob S Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    >>> My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    >>> started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    >>> scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    >>> defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    >>> temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    >>> slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    >>> and switch inbetween programs.
    >>>
    >>> I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    >>> Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?

    > Can't see your original post for some reason.
    > Norton I S is the best place to start. Not likely you've added that many
    > new programs over 2 months.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you
    have the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn
    difficult to fully remove.

    After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    Defender.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Beta testers who lie! Next time on Geraldo!

    Rob S, Jul 14, 2007
  7. The Pete

    Jerry Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> "The Pete" <> wrote in message

    >> Can't see your original post for some reason.
    >> Norton I S is the best place to start. Not likely you've added that
    >> many new programs over 2 months.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    > and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you
    > have the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn
    > difficult to fully remove.

    I agree with that. Norton has a removal tool at
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    but skip step 3 which has you re-install your norton products. do a
    normal uninstall, and then run the removal tool to get rid of even more
    crap.

    Jerry, Jul 14, 2007
  8. The Pete

    Jerry Guest

    Cadae wrote:

    > "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    >> My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    >> started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    >> scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    >> defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    >> temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    >> slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    >> and switch inbetween programs.
    >>
    >> I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    >> Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    > This could be due to over-heating. If your CPU cooler is not mounted
    > correctly or air-flows are blocked by dust or other obstructions, then
    > the CPU will overheat and the BIOS will force the CPU to slow down to
    > compensate.
    >
    > Try vacumming out any excess dust around the CPU cooler, and make sure
    > none of your external vents are obstructed.

    If it got that dirty in only 2 months, I wonder what kind of environment
    he is using it in.

    Jerry, Jul 14, 2007
  9. In article <4698211f$>, Here@home says...

    > After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    > anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    > Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    > Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    > Defender.

    Not Comodo unless you like the occasional bsod and watch a memory dump for half
    an hour. They have a problem, and they don't know what it is. They know they
    have it though.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 14, 2007
  10. In article <469817be$>, says...

    > This could be due to over-heating. If your CPU cooler is not mounted
    > correctly or air-flows are blocked by dust or other obstructions, then the
    > CPU will overheat and the BIOS will force the CPU to slow down to
    > compensate.
    >
    > Try vacumming out any excess dust around the CPU cooler, and make sure none
    > of your external vents are obstructed.
    >
    > PC

    Overheating was one of the things that came to my mind, as well. I wouldn't
    think dust at this point in the comp's life though.

    To the OP: download a little program called 'speedfan'. It allows monitoring of
    the cpu temperature. See if the slowdown co-incides with a rise in cpu temp.
    Could just be bad contact between the cpu and heatsink.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 14, 2007
  11. The Pete

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:4698211f$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> "The Pete" <> wrote in message

    >> Can't see your original post for some reason.
    >> Norton I S is the best place to start. Not likely you've added that many
    >> new programs over 2 months.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    > and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you have
    > the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn difficult
    > to fully remove.
    >
    > After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    > anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    > Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    > Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    > Defender.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob

    On starting Nortons keeps checking every program before it runs, painful
    when it's already checked the same unaltered programs several times
    previously.
    Took some time removing all Norton software on new budget PC almost 2 years
    ago. Then the trick was getting the MS Shield up and running properly. On
    a new PC about 6 months ago the MS Shield came up and running as soon as the
    Nortons crap was removed.
    Avira is the Anti-virus program I choose.

    His PC is too new to be slow for any other reason unless he's chosen to run
    a large animated active desktop like Dreamscapes. By itself it's great,
    leave it running while using other programs and things will be very slow.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 14, 2007
  12. The Pete

    Rob S Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <4698211f$>, Here@home says...
    >> After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    >> anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    >> Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    >> Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    >> Defender.
    >>

    > Not Comodo unless you like the occasional bsod and watch a memory dump for half
    > an hour. They have a problem, and they don't know what it is. They know they
    > have it though.
    >
    > -P.

    Thanks, didn't know that. I'll take it off my recommended list. Don't
    use it myself, hardware firewall/router.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    C.O.B.O.L - Completely Obsolete Boring Old Language.

    Rob S, Jul 14, 2007
  13. On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:01:34 +1200, Rob S wrote:

    > I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    > and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you have
    > the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn difficult
    > to fully remove.
    >
    > After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    > anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast. Firewall: Zone
    > alarm, Comodo, Outpost. Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search &
    > Destroy, Microsoft Defender.

    Don't you just love the range of applications you must have installed
    merely to prevent someone else from doing things with your computer - and
    even then, M$ will do things to your computer that you don't want done!

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    bath and a short dress to get into."

    Jonathan Walker, Jul 14, 2007
  14. The Pete

    Ross Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:41:27 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <4698211f$>, Here@home says...
    >>
    >> After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    >> anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    >> Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    >> Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    >> Defender.
    >>

    >Not Comodo unless you like the occasional bsod and watch a memory dump for half
    >an hour. They have a problem, and they don't know what it is. They know they
    >have it though.
    >
    >-P.

    Is that right? I have run it on 6 computers for the last 2 months. No
    problem yet.

    Ross, Jul 14, 2007
  15. In article <>,
    says...

    > Is that right? I have run it on 6 computers for the last 2 months. No
    > problem yet.

    Moderately surprised to hear that, because that was around the time I dumped
    Comodo. (May, i.i.r.c.) I had 1 or 2 crashes per week.
    Maybe they did fix the problem, or maybe it's in some way hardware or software
    related in a way that your systems have not been affected. I spent some time
    on their forums when I had problems and, like I said, they acknowledged the
    problem and had no eta on a solution since it wasn't even clear what the
    underlying problem was. If they fixed it in the meantime, then that's all good
    :) Just a thought: do those systems of yours run 24/7? Because that's what my
    affected machine does. Bsod have been *so* rare for me in recent years ... I
    was appaled when I started getting them regularly; not having seen one since
    WinXP-SP2 first came out.

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 14, 2007
  16. The Pete

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:01:34 +1200, Rob S wrote:
    >
    >> I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    >> and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you
    >> have
    >> the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn
    >> difficult
    >> to fully remove.
    >>
    >> After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    >> anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast. Firewall:
    >> Zone
    >> alarm, Comodo, Outpost. Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search
    >> &
    >> Destroy, Microsoft Defender.

    > Don't you just love the range of applications you must have installed
    > merely to prevent someone else from doing things with your computer - and
    > even then, M$ will do things to your computer that you don't want done!
    >

    > --
    > Jonathan Walker

    You can use Windows all you like but it won't make you one bit the better
    for it. After all you're now trying to sound like you're using Windows.
    You could use the dishwasher and microwave all at the same time as well, and
    you'd still be the same idiot.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 15, 2007
  17. Rob S <Here@home> wrote:

    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > >> "The Pete" <> wrote in message

    > > Can't see your original post for some reason.
    > > Norton I S is the best place to start. Not likely you've added that many
    > > new programs over 2 months.
    > >
    > > E. Scrooge
    > >

    > I'd agree there. For some reason, on some machines Nortons goes apeshit
    > and starts chewing up all resources. Uninstall Nortons and see if you
    > have the same problems. A word of warning though. Nortons can be damn
    > difficult to fully remove.
    >
    > After you manage to get rid of Nortons, try some of the freeware
    > anti-malware tools. Anti-virus: AVG, Avira Antivir, Avast.
    > Firewall: Zone alarm, Comodo, Outpost.
    > Spyware/adware: Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft
    > Defender.

    I highly recommend NOD32 - very light on resources and an excellent
    Anti-Virus. It may not be free, but you get what you pay for - yeah?
    Norton is crap - very slow and bloated. Avoid Norton and all the big
    names in store. They've all succumbed to serious bloat.

    I'd also ignore advice (no offence to those giving it) to use any
    firewall other than Window's own and your router's. Sure - they can be
    useful in spotting malware phoning home, but are resource hogs and
    generally unnecessary unless you know what you're doing - and even then
    they're often a PITA and slow your system. Assuming you're on broadband,
    your router's firewall is the best defence you have. Don't open it up
    unless you absolutely have to.

    Out of anti-spyware I like Spysweeper and Defender.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jul 15, 2007
  18. In message <1184498637.425894@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > You can use Windows all you like but it won't make you one bit the better
    > for it.

    Truer words were never spoken. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2007