    I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.

    Any thoughts?

    The Pete, Jul 13, 2007

  2. The Pete

    olfart Guest

    "The Pete" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    dump Norton

    olfart, Jul 13, 2007

  3. The Pete wrote:
    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.

    As olfart pointed out, the problem is obvious. Uninstall everything
    Norton or Symantec. You'll be a much happier camper.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 13, 2007
  4. The Pete wrote:

    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware,

    Did your scan find anything?

    Besides the Norton hog, what other scanners did you use?
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#spyware

    Free firewalls and anti-virus software listed on this page, too.

    > uninstalled unecessary programs, defragmentized the hard drive, run
    > diskcheck and cleared cookies and temporary files from Internet
    > Explorer. After a few hrs the system slows down substantially thus
    > making it difficult to browse the net and switch inbetween programs.

    Check the Task Manager and see if anything strange is taking CPU time or
    RAM. Are you using a firewall? Is your computer behind a router?

    Before you remove Norton, see this page and get the removal tool.
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039>

    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.

    Free hard disk space?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 13, 2007
  5. The Pete

    Plato Guest

    The Pete wrote:

    > My computer is approximately 2 months old and now has just recently
    > started to slow down after 3-4 hrs of use after each bootup. I have
    > scanned for viruses, malware/spyware, uninstalled unecessary programs,
    > defragmentized the hard drive, run diskcheck and cleared cookies and
    > temporary files from Internet Explorer. After a few hrs the system
    > slows down substantially thus making it difficult to browse the net
    > and switch inbetween programs.
    >
    > I am currently running: Windows XP SP2 (with all updates), Pentium
    > Core Duo 2.4ghz, 2 Gigs of Ram, Norton Internet Security.

    NIS is probably the problem. Remove is ASAP.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 16, 2007