    What steps that I have to do?
    My Best
    Saref
    Saref Aref, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Saref Aref

    The Prophecy Guest

    Saref Aref wrote:
    > G'day every body
    > Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my
    > computer without upgrading its CPU.
    > What steps that I have to do?
    > My Best
    > Saref

    There are a few things you can do....

    First:

    --
    (°Mike°'s) Basic computer maintenance

    Something else I STRONGLY recommend you look at:

    --
    Download, update and use the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    The Prophecy, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Saref Aref

    mark mandel Guest

    "Saref Aref" <> wrote in message
    > G'day every body
    > Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my computer
    > without upgrading its CPU.
    > What steps that I have to do?
    > My Best
    > Saref

    Add more RAM, just make certain you get the right match to what you already
    have.
    mark mandel, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Saref Aref

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:01:58 +1000, "Saref Aref"
    <> wrote:

    >G'day every body
    >Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my computer
    >without upgrading its CPU.
    >What steps that I have to do?
    >My Best
    >Saref

    Speed up WHAT? What are you trying to do?

    Are you trying to speed up I/O?...bootup speed?...compiling? What?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Saref Aref

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:33:51 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    wrote:

    >"Saref Aref" <> wrote in message
    >> G'day every body
    >> Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my computer
    >> without upgrading its CPU.
    >> What steps that I have to do?
    >> My Best
    >> Saref
    >>

    >Add more RAM,

    Not always, of course.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Saref Aref

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:33:51 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Saref Aref" <> wrote in message
    > >> G'day every body
    > >> Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my computer
    > >> without upgrading its CPU.
    > >> What steps that I have to do?
    > >> My Best
    > >> Saref
    > >>

    > >Add more RAM,
    > >

    > Not always, of course.

    Just one thing among several that could help but less so with Win98 I'll
    concede.

    Mark Mandell, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Saref Aref

    Unknown Guest

    "Saref Aref" <> wrote in message
    > G'day every body
    > Please any body can tell me how can I increase the SPEED of my computer
    > without upgrading its CPU.
    > What steps that I have to do?
    > My Best
    > Saref

    It would be easier to tell you if you could tell us more details about your
    system but basically, if you have Win98 or ME, they need a minimum of 24megs
    ram so if you have 32megs it will run fine. 64 megs, runs noticeably better.
    128megs and there is hardly a difference but there IS some. Make sure your
    virtual mem is set to "Let Windows decide".

    If you have XP, the minimum you should even attempt to run it in is 128megs
    ram though it will run in less. If you run it in 256, it runs adequately and
    512 runs fine. More than that it can run a lot better, too but that depends
    on what you are doing with the machine and what CPU etc. It should also
    ideally be set to System Managed for the virtual mem.

    Remove the Microsoft Messenger from XP helps IF done properly and can make
    things slower if not done properly.

    Always check for errors regularly and always defrag regularly.

    Make sure you don't have viruses/trojans/worms or spyware.

    Check what is starting up with the computer under msconfig and remove things
    that aren't necessary to start up at Windows startup such as the Office
    Startup for example.

    Under XP, you can get BootVis to help the boot times of your computer. You
    can check bios settings to see if you can tweak things a bit further. Don't
    leave a CD in the drive when not using it. That slows boot down a bit and
    can slow other operations down as well.

    Make sure the computer isn't too hot inside. That can slow things down if
    not causing errors.

    Under XP, if your boot block is corrupted but still able to boot, you can
    end up with it becoming bloody slow so booting off the XP CD and going to
    the first repair prompt you see then running fixboot and fixMBR help, too.
    Note that under XP the chkdsk program doesn't fix all errors from within
    windows so while still booted off the XP CD, run chkdsk /p while in there
    and if you suspect possible BAD disk problems, run chkdsk /r instead.

    Just a few things that help.
    Unknown, Jun 26, 2004