    What shall be done?

    --
    -Doug-

    Doug, May 15, 2004

  2. Doug wrote:

    > I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice that I
    > am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the speakers on even
    > when the computer is off.
    >
    > What shall be done?

    Wrap your hands and feet in cooking foil and remove it 30
    minutes before you go in as the main course..

    Alternatively, you could try to work out whether the signal
    is being picked up via the power lead to the speakers or via
    the audio lead. Like this:

    Short out the connections on the stereo plug. If the radio
    signal disappears or is attenuated, then get a ferrite ring
    or block and thread the audio cable through the hole. Push
    the ring up the wire to the speakers. That should fix it.
    You obviously need a ferrite ring with a centre hole big
    enough to get the stereo plug through. The block may be
    easier as it comes in two halves.

    If shorting out the stereo plug connector doesn't change
    things then the signal is probably being picked up by the
    power lead. Use the ferrite ring on that cable instead,
    again getting it as close to the speaker as you can.

    If that doesn't do it then, either you really do need the
    cooking foil or the speakers are faulty. I hope it is the
    latter - rf internal burns are nasty.

    Note:

    Ferrite blocks/rings can be obtained from Maplins in the UK
    or RadioShack in the US. Or any computer scrap place - if
    you don't mind taking one off an existing cable. They do
    come in different specifications and one should really be
    chosen based on the radio frequency you are trying to
    attenuate but, life is short and coercivity equations are
    long, and just about any ferrite ring should do it.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 15, 2004

  3. Doug

    boywonder Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice
    > that I am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the
    > speakers on even when the computer is off.
    >
    > What shall be done?

    You might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack. Try all the jacks,
    you can't hurt anything that way.
    --
    Tommy
    tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom

    boywonder, May 15, 2004
  4. Doug

    Unknown Guest

    What a ridiculous response.

    Unknown, May 15, 2004
  5. Doug

    Blackmesa8 Guest

    my stereo sometimes picks up police frequencys for no apparant reason lol
    it does my head in one day ill hear them saying there on there way to my
    house to arrest me for all my pirating so i can use it to make my escape
    hehe

    Blackmesa8, May 15, 2004
  6. Doug

    Plato Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice that I
    > am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the speakers on even
    > when the computer is off.
    >
    > What shall be done?

    Our speakers in the office used to pick up the local police radio calls
    on occasion.

    Plato, May 15, 2004
  7. Doug

    Plato Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice that I
    > am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the speakers on even
    > when the computer is off.

    ps. Ever notice the AM antenna that used to come with old clock radios
    and stereo? It was simply a long wire that you were told in the docs to
    extend out in a straight line.
    Now of course they use a coil but anyway, the length of the wire was not
    random, it was a specific length. Chances are that your speaker wire is
    of a similiar length ie the length needed for am radio. If you put your
    speakers closer together it should fix the niggle.

    pps. remember the radio pens that were sold in the back of Boys Life
    magazine? It was only a short wire connected to a small flat paper
    speaker with a little resister in it as I recall. You dont need much to
    get AM.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 15, 2004
  8. "boywonder" <tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom> spilled my beer when
    they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <40a62ce0$0$447$-pc.org>

    > Doug wrote:
    >> I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice
    >> that I am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the
    >> speakers on even when the computer is off.
    >>
    >> What shall be done?

    > You might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack. Try all the
    > jacks, you can't hurt anything that way.

    That's not gonna make any difference. Google "RFI" or "Radio Frequency
    Interference" if you're curious why...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 15, 2004
  9. Doug spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <scppc.7981$>

    > I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice that I
    > am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the speakers on even
    > when the computer is off.
    >
    > What shall be done?

    Judging by your headers, you're in the US. You could call the radio station
    and complain, to see if they have any suggestions about what to do. Also,
    you could look thru the fcc.gov website to see if they have any suggestions
    also.

    Or, you could also ask this question in sci.electronics.repair, too. Sam
    G.'s quite sharp on this subject...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 15, 2004
  10. Doug

    boywonder Guest

    boywonder wrote:
    > Doug wrote:
    >> I recently bought new Dell 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and I notice
    >> that I am picking up a local radion station whenever I turn the
    >> speakers on even when the computer is off.
    >>
    >> What shall be done?

    > You might have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack. Try all the
    > jacks, you can't hurt anything that way.

    Output from pc sound card should be low impedance. If its high for some
    reason, like being plugged into the wrong jack, that opens the door for
    rfi. When the pc is off, that would make the impedance high. That opens the
    door for rfi as I said. Also, if you open the complete set of volume
    controls, you can find that some of the inputs may act as sources for noise
    and rfi. Try muting all but the one you are using at the time. Isolate the
    problem in this fashion.

    boywonder, May 16, 2004