    slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit faster but
    will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?

    Moyo
    moyo, Mar 24, 2005

  2. moyo

    samuel Guest

    moyo <> wrote in
    news::

    > It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my
    > computer to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes
    > ago to access Yahoo Mail from MSN and it took almost 5
    > minutes. All the programs are slowing down. I just restarted
    > and now things are a bit faster but will slow down again.
    > Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?
    >
    > Moyo

    spyware ?

    download install & update these

    Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    Hijackthis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?
    check your Hijackthis log file here.
    http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english
    or http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    and CWShredder

    read
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    did you try online scans ?
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://www.mcafee.com/us/

    news groups
    alt.comp.anti-virus
    alt.privacy.spyware

    forum
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    samuel, Mar 24, 2005

  3. moyo wrote:
    > It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my computer
    > to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to access Yahoo
    > Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the programs are
    > slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit faster but
    > will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?
    >
    > Moyo

    In addition to following samuel's advice, disable any Norton/Symantec
    stuff long enough to see if that helps speed it up. If it does, get a
    different AV.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 24, 2005
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    23 Mar 2005 22:33:55 -0500, Rôgêr <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >moyo wrote:
    >> It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my computer
    >> to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to access Yahoo
    >> Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the programs are
    >> slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit faster but
    >> will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?
    >>
    >> Moyo

    >In addition to following samuel's advice, disable any Norton/Symantec
    >stuff long enough to see if that helps speed it up. If it does, get a
    >different AV.

    ........and clearing the Temporary Internet files and History in
    Control Panel/ Internet Options.

    --

    Zittmutter AKA Dr Zonk offers McDougal some oral carnal knowledge in Message-ID: <>

    "That's what your dead mother said...right before I fucked her."

    Jason, AKA a host of other sock puppets, displays a proclivity for being a motherfucker *and* a necrophiliac in Message-ID: <Xns9600B0B4DFAF6spamspamsnuhspam33@207.14.113.17>
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Mar 24, 2005
  5. moyo wrote:

    > It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my computer
    > to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to access Yahoo
    > Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the programs are
    > slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit faster but
    > will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?

    You're using Windows.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2005
  6. moyo

    trout Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > moyo wrote:
    >
    >> It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my
    >> computer to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to
    >> access Yahoo Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the
    >> programs are slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit
    >> faster but will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so
    >> what's going on?

    > You're using Windows.

    I do hope, for the sake of your health and fitness, that you jerk
    alternate knees with each mention of Microsoft. And don't forget to
    stretch, to avoid those condescension-related injuries that far too
    often cut down Linux advocates in the prime of their sarcasm careers.
    It's an avoidable tragedy.
    --
    And smirk, two...three..., now sneer, two... three....
    trout, Mar 24, 2005
  7. trout wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> moyo wrote:

    >>> It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my
    >>> computer to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to
    >>> access Yahoo Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the
    >>> programs are slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit
    >>> faster but will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so
    >>> what's going on?

    >> You're using Windows.

    > I do hope, for the sake of your health and fitness, that you jerk
    > alternate knees with each mention of Microsoft. And don't forget to
    > stretch, to avoid those condescension-related injuries that far too
    > often cut down Linux advocates in the prime of their sarcasm careers.
    > It's an avoidable tragedy.

    No problem -- my health remains good.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2005
  8. moyo

    Wal Guest

    "moyo" <> wrote in message
    > It seems every day now for the last week I need to restart my computer
    > to speed it up. I have DSL and tried a few minutes ago to access Yahoo
    > Mail from MSN and it took almost 5 minutes. All the programs are
    > slowing down. I just restarted and now things are a bit faster but
    > will slow down again. Norton doen't see any virus so what's going on?
    >
    > Moyo

    ================================

    Hi Myo,

    there are a number of things that can cause this
    but the first thing I would check is how much unused space
    do you have on your C drive. If the windows Swap
    file does not have sufficient space to grow when it needs
    to, it will slow down your computer noticeably. Confusingly,
    windows if it reports this, reports it as insuffient memory.
    Sometimes file fragments that are not properly deleted,
    often from a "defrag", can cause problems.
    If you run Scandisk it should find these fragments, if that is the
    problem, and give you a choice if deleting them or converting
    them to a special file.
    If these quick checks do not help then do a bit of detective work
    Does it happen if the computer is just left to idle for a while after
    a reboot? Or does it happen after a particular program has been running?
    Some "unpolished" programs do not give up the memory they have
    been using when they have finished with it. Even after the program
    has been closed. This is referred to as a memory leak. Kazaa and
    Kazaalite were two programs that were a good example of this
    especially if you previewed files using these programs.
    There are a couple of free programs that might help Filemon and
    Regmon. With Regmon you can see the files that windows
    is trying to open and if it is successful. Regmon shows what entries are
    being accessed in your windows Registry.
    If it is happening to fast to follow, maybe not a problem in your case,
    you can capture a log and check through to see what has been
    happening.It is also very educational.
    I once had some Spyware on my already underpowered computer
    that was trying to call home to an address that was no longer valid.
    It nearly paralysed my computer. I narrowed that down with filemon.

    Good Luck.

    Wal
    Wal, Mar 25, 2005