    "Everybody favors free speech in the slack moments
    when no axes are being ground."

    Heywood Broun
    Karen Hayward-King, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Karen Hayward-King

    George Black Guest

    "Karen Hayward-King" <> wrote in message
    : My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    : or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH
    says
    : that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    : think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    : it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    : hours.
    :
    : Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
    Get a bigger power supply
    George Black, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Karen Hayward-King

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Karen Hayward-King wrote:
    > My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    > or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH says
    > that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    > think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    > it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    > hours.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
    >
    > --
    > Karen Hayward-King
    >
    > "Everybody favors free speech in the slack moments
    > when no axes are being ground."
    >
    > Heywood Broun

    Hardware reset or complete shutdown and restart?. If complete shutdown
    and restart, your BIOS settings have changed and you need to check the
    Automatic Power Control Interface settings. If a hardware reset, then
    you probably have a virus/worm. Virus scan with an up to date signature
    file. Get the latest security updates from Microsoft. An unpatched
    machine can be infected in minutes. I got the sobig worm on a win2000
    machine while I was downloading the service pack from MS!.
    Roger_Nickel, Feb 29, 2004
  4. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 08:13:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel
    <> wrote:

    >Karen Hayward-King wrote:
    >> My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    >> or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH says
    >> that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    >> think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    >> it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    >> hours.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
    >>

    >Hardware reset or complete shutdown and restart?. If complete shutdown
    >and restart, your BIOS settings have changed and you need to check the
    >Automatic Power Control Interface settings. If a hardware reset, then
    >you probably have a virus/worm. Virus scan with an up to date signature
    >file. Get the latest security updates from Microsoft. An unpatched
    >machine can be infected in minutes. I got the sobig worm on a win2000
    >machine while I was downloading the service pack from MS!.

    It's a complete shutdown and reset..

    --
    Karen Hayward-King

    Karen Hayward-King, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Karen Hayward-King

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:44:33 -0800, Karen Hayward-King
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 08:13:16 +1300, Roger_Nickel
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Karen Hayward-King wrote:
    >>> My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    >>> or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH says
    >>> that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    >>> think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    >>> it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    >>> hours.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
    >>>

    >>Hardware reset or complete shutdown and restart?. If complete shutdown
    >>and restart, your BIOS settings have changed and you need to check the
    >>Automatic Power Control Interface settings. If a hardware reset, then
    >>you probably have a virus/worm. Virus scan with an up to date signature
    >>file. Get the latest security updates from Microsoft. An unpatched
    >>machine can be infected in minutes. I got the sobig worm on a win2000
    >>machine while I was downloading the service pack from MS!.

    >It's a complete shutdown and reset..

    Also consider temperature management on the bios. It could be getting
    too hot, or think it's getting too hot, and shutting down.
    Craig Shore, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Karen Hayward-King

    Worm Guest

    > Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?

    Are you using Windows XP? I had a similar problem - although its supposedly
    a "feature" :) XP supposedly doesn't have "blue screens" - but really, come
    a big error it just resets by default!

    To disable this 'feature' and see if its the problem: Right click My
    Computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery. Uncheck
    "automatically restart".

    Hope that helps...?

    Worm
    Worm, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Karen Hayward-King

    JedMeister Guest

    If all else fails, reinstall the operating system - this may also speed up
    your machine if it has been a long time since it was first installed .

    JedMeister, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Karen Hayward-King

    steve Guest

    Karen Hayward-King wrote:

    > My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    > or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH says
    > that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    > think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    > it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    > hours.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?

    When it was happening to me, it was suggested the voltage drop-outs might be
    causing it.

    Rather than mess around, I bought a line-interactive UPS....and that has
    resolved the problem.

    It also let's me know how often the power drops out.....at least several
    times a week - when I'm in the room. The old PCs (AMD 1.4GHz / Celeron 600)
    keep going, but the newer AMD Athlons (2200+ and 2800+) seem to really HATE
    voltage drops.
    steve, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Karen Hayward-King

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    > or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use. The OH says
    > that he has set it to power after 5 hours of no use.....but I don't
    > think it's supposed to turn on again and reboot on it's own....plus
    > it's turning itself off and on again rather more frequently than 5
    > hours.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?

    Anything in the Event log?

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Karen Hayward-King

    Rob Guest

    Had similar over the weekend but also crashing while using it after moving
    it from one room to another and adding a wireless card.

    Put in a 500w power supply and all fixed - there's a site in nz which lets
    you calculate the wattage drawn based on bits in the machine and mine was
    drawing 385w on a 300w psu

    Rob, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Karen Hayward-King

    Kieren Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:43:31 -0800, Karen Hayward-King
    <> wrote:
    >My computer is mysteriously powering down than restarting every hour
    >or so if I'm not using it. Hasn't done it yet when in use.

    Your BIOS might be set to switch the computer on when receiving
    incoming modem signals. Check your BIOS.

    K.
    Kieren, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Karen Hayward-King

    Steven H Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:37:35 +1300, Worm wrote:

    > "Karen Hayward-King" <> wrote in message
    >> Any suggestions as to why this could be happening?
    >>

    > Are you using Windows XP? I had a similar problem - although its supposedly
    > a "feature" :) XP supposedly doesn't have "blue screens" - but really, come
    > a big error it just resets by default!
    >
    > To disable this 'feature' and see if its the problem: Right click My
    > Computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery. Uncheck
    > "automatically restart".
    >
    > Hope that helps...?
    >
    > Worm

    wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force a
    reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

    Steven H - B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin, New Zealand
    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Karen Hayward-King

    Worm Guest

    "Steven H" < - wont work anyway ;)> wrote in
    message news:pkwoqze4btng$.5jd5yhytwytp$...
    > wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force

    > reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

    What about BSOD's during normal use of windows? That's when my machine used
    to reboot itself. Now I see the blue screen...although they don't happen
    all that often :)

    Worm
    Worm, Mar 2, 2004
  14. Karen Hayward-King

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 11:53:10 +1300, Steven H wrote:

    > wtf are you talking about - that "automattically restart" will only force
    > a reboot if there is a kernal (read BSOD) pannic during the boot sequence.

    Not in my experience (Win2K that is) - that setting works for any BSOD,
    not just ones during boot up.

    As an aside the Server versions have it set by default, and the
    Workstation version don't have it set by default. Makes sense, the
    workstation usually has someone sitting in front of it while the server
    usually doesn't.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Mar 2, 2004