Computer Shuts Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kirkis, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Kirkis

    Kirkis

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hello, I need help with my computer. I just bought this computer off of ibuypower.com. I set it up in my one bedroom apartment. I turn it on, everything is fine! I have two monitors hooked up. I then try to install something, then BAM the computer shuts off. (little blue light blinks)

    I try with one monitor, and install, it shuts off. After awhile it started shutting off after a few seconds... I thought it was a heating problem. I open up my BIOS and check the temperature. Sure enough it raises up to 145 degrees (62 C) on its own and turns off. I open up the CPU and notice there is a black foam on the inside of the tower case. It seems like it is stuck on the casing so I don't pull it off...

    I have heard it may be a FAN problem or even a Thermal Grease problem. This is a brand new computer. I will post my specs now.

    Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
    Processor ( AMD AthlonT64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
    Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
    Motherboard ( MSI K9A Platinum AMD-Crossfire-580X Chipset w/7.1 Audio , Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
    Memory ( 1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
    Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
    Hard Drive ( 160 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
    CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
    Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer )
    Speaker System ( 100W PMPO (RMS: 1W) 2 Pcs Stereo Speaker System )
    Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 32-Bit )

    In case you need the spec for the cooling fan that is inside...

    Fan Speed:3200 RPM
    Air Flow Rate:33.96 CFM
    Wind Pressure:3.23 mmap
    Rating Current:0.15A
    Rating Voltage:12V
    Kirkis, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Kirkis

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's obvious that your new computer is overheating. Try running it with the side panel removed. That black foam stuff sounds like sound insulation.

    The key to a cool-running computer is freedom of airflow within the case. Generally air comes in through the front and exits the rear. A top fan will also help extract warm air. It's possible the manufacturer did a poor job installing your CPU heatsink (cooler). I would also remove it, clean off the old thermal material (it may be a thermal pad that needs to be carefully removed - don't try to reuse one of these) with Isopropal Alcohol, and then apply a small amount of quality thermal paste (Artic Silver 5 or similar) before reattaching the heatsink. Make sure the CPU cooling fan is running and blowing air down into the heatsink.

    Let us know if these suggestions help.
    bigal, Aug 27, 2007