Computer Shuts Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kirkis, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. Kirkis

    Aug 24, 2007
    Hello, I need help with my computer. I just bought this computer off of I set it up in my one bedroom apartment. I turn it on, everything is fine! I have two monitors hooked up. I then try to install something, then BAM the computer shuts off. (little blue light blinks)

    I try with one monitor, and install, it shuts off. After awhile it started shutting off after a few seconds... I thought it was a heating problem. I open up my BIOS and check the temperature. Sure enough it raises up to 145 degrees (62 C) on its own and turns off. I open up the CPU and notice there is a black foam on the inside of the tower case. It seems like it is stuck on the casing so I don't pull it off...

    I have heard it may be a FAN problem or even a Thermal Grease problem. This is a brand new computer. I will post my specs now.

    Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
    Processor ( AMD AthlonT64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology )
    Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
    Motherboard ( MSI K9A Platinum AMD-Crossfire-580X Chipset w/7.1 Audio , Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
    Memory ( 1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )
    Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
    Hard Drive ( 160 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )
    CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
    Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeGamer )
    Speaker System ( 100W PMPO (RMS: 1W) 2 Pcs Stereo Speaker System )
    Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 32-Bit )

    In case you need the spec for the cooling fan that is inside...

    Fan Speed:3200 RPM
    Air Flow Rate:33.96 CFM
    Wind Pressure:3.23 mmap
    Rating Current:0.15A
    Rating Voltage:12V
    Kirkis, Aug 24, 2007

  2. bigal

    Jul 1, 2005
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's obvious that your new computer is overheating. Try running it with the side panel removed. That black foam stuff sounds like sound insulation.

    The key to a cool-running computer is freedom of airflow within the case. Generally air comes in through the front and exits the rear. A top fan will also help extract warm air. It's possible the manufacturer did a poor job installing your CPU heatsink (cooler). I would also remove it, clean off the old thermal material (it may be a thermal pad that needs to be carefully removed - don't try to reuse one of these) with Isopropal Alcohol, and then apply a small amount of quality thermal paste (Artic Silver 5 or similar) before reattaching the heatsink. Make sure the CPU cooling fan is running and blowing air down into the heatsink.

    Let us know if these suggestions help.
    bigal, Aug 27, 2007