    iggy Guest

    Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    iggy, Oct 17, 2004

  2. iggy

    Ant Guest

    The only con I'm aware of is the cost, I read somewhere it uses a £1.00s
    worth of electricity per 24 hrs.

    Ant.

    Ant, Oct 17, 2004

  3. iggy

    Frank.b Guest

    iggy gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    > computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    This is an never-ending, eternal discussion topic.
    All arguments for leaving your computer on are as good
    as the one that councel to shutdown daily.

    It depends what you do with your computer.
    Simple question: Why do you need a computer for, now ?
    --
    "All the work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

    Frank.b, Oct 17, 2004
  4. iggy wrote:

    > Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    > computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    Daily = more wear and tear due to daily bootups on the components.
    Better just to set it to StandBy mode instead of powering down.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 17, 2004
  5. iggy

    Bob B Guest

    "Bruce the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > iggy wrote:
    >
    > > Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    > > computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    > Daily = more wear and tear due to daily bootups on the components.
    > Better just to set it to StandBy mode instead of powering down.

    Well I always turn mine off.. maybe three times a day along with every thing
    else.. printers... router....cable modem etc.... they are all plugged into
    the same anti surge adaptor. Most are nearly 4 years old and I have never
    had a problem (well almost) Bob

    Bob B, Oct 18, 2004
  6. Frank.b wrote:

    > iggy gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    >> computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    > This is an never-ending, eternal discussion topic.
    > All arguments for leaving your computer on are as good
    > as the one that councel to shutdown daily.

    > It depends what you do with your computer.
    > Simple question: Why do you need a computer for, now ?

    It also depends on OS. :)

    OP's running Windows; might as well reboot regularly to keep it
    somewhere near being on its feet.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 18, 2004
  7. iggy

    Frank.b Guest

    Blinky the Shark gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Frank.b wrote:
    >
    >> iggy gave us a sample in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Running P4 3.2. Would like to hear the pros and cons on shutting
    >>> computer off daily, weekly or whatever.

    >> This is an never-ending, eternal discussion topic.
    >> All arguments for leaving your computer on are as good
    >> as the one that councel to shutdown daily.

    >> It depends what you do with your computer.
    >> Simple question: Why do you need a computer for, now ?

    > It also depends on OS. :)

    I only partly agree with this because the OS question... is a subsequent
    debate of that hardware policy debate. Argh... The debate will never end.
    It depends on what one's does with a computer, independently of the OS,
    weither it is a Windows XP desktop, an X11 xterm window, a KDE desktop, a
    Gnome desktop. An accountant will likely have his computer shut down when
    finished working while hosting sevice admins will likely try to avoid
    sending INIT(6) from the shutdown cmd as much as possible. And now we could
    devide users in categories: system account, desktop only, terminals, by
    job, by usage, by OS... Argh!

    > OP's running Windows; might as well reboot regularly to keep it
    > somewhere near being on its feet.

    Well, i would advice them to "lock" the computer and avoiding reboots for
    security reasons: at each Windows shutdown, malicious code writes entriesin
    that infernal registry that compromises the system at boot, day in day out
    untill big blue screen of death :)
    But that's another issue.

    --
    "All the work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

    Frank.b, Oct 18, 2004