    only the computer. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Liz
    Liz, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Liz

    Harrison Guest

    What OS are you using?
    It could be shutting down due to overheating.
    It could be a virus, a trojan or other malware.
    Do you have antivirus, and is it up to date?
    Have you checked for spyware?
    If XP or NT, have you checked the event viewer?

    Harrison, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Liz

    SgtMinor Guest

    Could it be overheating? Is the exhaust fan in the back turning?
    Dustbunnies in the air exhaust area? Is the computer out in the open or
    in a confined space? Air needs to circulate through the machine. You
    may need to remove the cover and blow out the innards with a can of
    compressed air.

    SgtMinor, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Liz

    Liz Guest

    "Harrison" <> wrote in message
    | What OS are you using?

    ***WIN ME

    | It could be shutting down due to overheating.

    ***Thought of that so put a fan behind it to cool it off. It stayed on for
    40 min. then but still shut off.

    | It could be a virus, a trojan or other malware.
    | Do you have antivirus, and is it up to date?

    ***Norton Pro and I have auto update working.

    | Have you checked for spyware?

    ***Not yet. I'll do that now.

    Thanks Liz

    Liz, Nov 7, 2003
  5. One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
    for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
    www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
    Give that a try for starters.

    ÐMâÑ ÖppôSêÐ, Nov 7, 2003
  6. ÐMâÑ ÖppôSêÐ wrote:
    > One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
    > for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
    > www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
    > Give that a try for starters.
    >

    > "Liz" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know what would make a computer shut itself down? Since
    >> 6pm tonight, my computer has completely shut itself off 4 times.
    >> I'm either doing something on the web or reading my mail and it just
    >> quits...shuts off....dead. I can't figure out what is going on.
    >> There is nothing wrong with the plug. Everything is plugged into a
    >> strip I have and my TV, modem, monitor and printer are all in this
    >> strip but they do not turn off. It's only the computer. Any ideas?
    >> Thanks!
    >> Liz

    DMan, if you are referring to the Blaster and Welchia worms, they only make
    your computer restart not completely shut down.
    --
    "If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody."
    Mr.SlippyFist, Nov 7, 2003
  7. Liz

    Liz Guest

    I'm wondering that too. I put a fan back there since I can't get the cover
    off tonight. It will have to wait until my husband can do it tomorrow.
    That is next on my list of things to try. I've had this computer for
    several years and never had this problem. It's on the floor but has over a
    foot of clearance at the back of it where the vent is. It's only got about
    1/2" on either side tho'. Thanks Liz

    Liz, Nov 7, 2003
  8. Liz

    Harrison Guest

    A fan behind it probably won't have much effect on overheating inside
    the case.

    Harrison, Nov 7, 2003
  9. Liz

    Kráftéé Guest

    Mr.SlippyFist wrote:
    > ÐMâÑ ÖppôSêÐ wrote:
    >> One of the worms from a couple months ago was known
    >> for shutting down computers for no reason. I believe
    >> www.symantec.com has files to check for worms.
    >> Give that a try for starters.
    >>

    >> "Liz" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know what would make a computer shut itself down?
    >>> Since 6pm tonight, my computer has completely shut itself off 4
    >>> times. I'm either doing something on the web or reading my mail
    >>> and it just quits...shuts off....dead. I can't figure out what
    >>> is going on. There is nothing wrong with the plug. Everything is
    >>> plugged into a strip I have and my TV, modem, monitor and printer
    >>> are all in this strip but they do not turn off. It's only the
    >>> computer. Any ideas? Thanks!
    >>> Liz

    > DMan, if you are referring to the Blaster and Welchia worms, they
    > only make your computer restart not completely shut down.

    & more importantly they didn't affect WinME...

    --
    B-)
    Don't practice safe hex,
    Kráftéé, Nov 7, 2003