    correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now cluttered up
    computer.
    Derek.
    Derek F, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Derek F

    sittingduck Guest

    Derek F wrote:

    > Neighbour bought a computer from the now defunct Time/Computer shop. It
    > came with a Restore/set up disk. Later her mother board failed and she
    > had it replaced by a local shop. He told her that her restore disk would
    > not allow her to do a restore in future due to the new MB having been
    > fitted. Is this correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now
    > cluttered up computer.

    Different hardware will require different drivers. It's possible that the
    restore will work, but even if it does, it's likely to be a crappy install.
    The best thing to do is install windows to a fresh drive/partition.
    sittingduck, Oct 23, 2006

  3. Derek F

    Jim Guest

    "Derek F" <> wrote in message
    > Neighbour bought a computer from the now defunct Time/Computer shop. It
    > came with a Restore/set up disk. Later her mother board failed and she had
    > it replaced by a local shop. He told her that her restore disk would not
    > allow her to do a restore in future due to the new MB having been fitted.
    > Is this correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now cluttered
    > up computer.
    > Derek.

    It can happen but if Windows hasn't objected already then it is likely it
    will not. If it does all you do is phone Microsoft anyway. They will sort
    it out. On some versions of Windows if too many changes were made to
    hardware it would complain.
    You can restore as many times as you like, it means you still end up with a
    cluttered HD and registry and have to reinstall everything again.
    The shop were probably trying to sell a copy of Windows.
    Jim, Oct 23, 2006
  4. Derek F

    PeeCee Guest

    Derek F wrote:
    > Neighbour bought a computer from the now defunct Time/Computer shop. It came
    > with a Restore/set up disk. Later her mother board failed and she had it
    > replaced by a local shop. He told her that her restore disk would not allow
    > her to do a restore in future due to the new MB having been fitted. Is this
    > correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now cluttered up
    > computer.
    > Derek.

    Derek

    More than likely the local computer shop is referring to the practice of
    large scale manufacturers locking the restore disk to the motherboard
    Bios or the model of PC.
    ie one of the first checks the restore disk routine does is to check the
    motherboard/computer model matches the one that Time created the restore
    disk for. If it is not the original motherboard / model then the restore
    routine will 'not' install. (< note the full stop, it 'will not' install)

    The reason is to stop the restore disk being used on another PC (ie it's
    an anti piracy measure)

    In the case of Laptops this is not to unreasonable as the only
    motherboard that can be fitted should a replacment be necessary is one
    from the original supplier, ie a genuine part.

    However as your neighbour has found with desktop PC's a 'standard'
    motherboard is often the only replacement available even if the
    manufacturer is still in business (I've had several HP's over the bench
    with this problem. 'Sorry sir that part is no longer available')

    All is not lost how ever as the Microsoft Windows License sticker stuck
    to the side of the case is regarded as 'Proof of License' so you only
    have to obtain a copy of the Windows installation CD and you can
    reinstall using the key from the case sticker. Note you can only install
    to match the License ie XP/XP, ME/ME, you can not go ME/XP for example.
    Microsoft will not tell you this but all you have to do is find someone
    with the same version of Windows that came with an OEM or Retail CD and
    copy it.

    You will have to install the drivers after Windows installs but that CD
    should have been provided by the motherboard installer anyway.

    On the down side is a little more work reinstalling and you 'won't get
    the bundled apps automatically reinstalled. (Not good if Office is
    included in your bundle for example)

    On the positive side you won't have all the spyware and crap that can be
    inflicted upon you, and you get to customise the PC a lot more.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 23, 2006
  5. Derek F

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Derek F" <> wrote:

    >Neighbour bought a computer from the now defunct Time/Computer shop. It came
    >with a Restore/set up disk. Later her mother board failed and she had it
    >replaced by a local shop. He told her that her restore disk would not allow
    >her to do a restore in future due to the new MB having been fitted. Is this
    >correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now cluttered up
    >computer.
    >Derek.

    Is her installed Windows working properly with the new motherboard?
    That is the really critical consideration. If so then her only real
    concern is the ability to recover in the event of future failures.

    As for the "cluttered up" computer a bit of prowling through Control
    Panel - Add/Remove Programs should provide a measure of relief. Files
    and folders that are not part of installed applications can be deleted
    as and when desired.

    The following link is to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article which has
    some information about getting replacement disks etc. when your OEM
    supplier is no longer in business.
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=326246

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Oct 23, 2006
  6. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    I have not looked at her computer yet but she tells me that she is has very
    little on that computer (she mainly uses her laptop) and that is has a lot
    stuff that was evidently put on it by the company who fitted the new mb. I
    wonder if they just used a set up disk of their own ? The machine is running
    slow and she is evidently getting warning messages about lack of memory and
    disk space. I did tell her last year that she is entitled to an XP disk from
    Microsoft but she did not follow it up.
    Derek.

    Derek F, Oct 23, 2006
  7. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > Derek F wrote:
    >> Neighbour bought a computer from the now defunct Time/Computer shop. It
    >> came with a Restore/set up disk. Later her mother board failed and she
    >> had it replaced by a local shop. He told her that her restore disk would
    >> not allow her to do a restore in future due to the new MB having been
    >> fitted. Is this correct as she would like get a fresh start on her now
    >> cluttered up computer.
    >> Derek.
    >>

    > Derek
    >
    > More than likely the local computer shop is referring to the practice of
    > large scale manufacturers locking the restore disk to the motherboard Bios
    > or the model of PC.
    > ie one of the first checks the restore disk routine does is to check the
    > motherboard/computer model matches the one that Time created the restore
    > disk for. If it is not the original motherboard / model then the restore
    > routine will 'not' install. (< note the full stop, it 'will not' install)
    >
    > The reason is to stop the restore disk being used on another PC (ie it's
    > an anti piracy measure)
    >
    > In the case of Laptops this is not to unreasonable as the only motherboard
    > that can be fitted should a replacment be necessary is one from the
    > original supplier, ie a genuine part.
    >
    > However as your neighbour has found with desktop PC's a 'standard'
    > motherboard is often the only replacement available even if the
    > manufacturer is still in business (I've had several HP's over the bench
    > with this problem. 'Sorry sir that part is no longer available')
    >
    > All is not lost how ever as the Microsoft Windows License sticker stuck to
    > the side of the case is regarded as 'Proof of License' so you only have to
    > obtain a copy of the Windows installation CD and you can reinstall using
    > the key from the case sticker. Note you can only install to match the
    > License ie XP/XP, ME/ME, you can not go ME/XP for example.
    > Microsoft will not tell you this but all you have to do is find someone
    > with the same version of Windows that came with an OEM or Retail CD and
    > copy it.
    >
    > You will have to install the drivers after Windows installs but that CD
    > should have been provided by the motherboard installer anyway.
    >
    > On the down side is a little more work reinstalling and you 'won't get the
    > bundled apps automatically reinstalled. (Not good if Office is included in
    > your bundle for example)
    >
    > On the positive side you won't have all the spyware and crap that can be
    > inflicted upon you, and you get to customise the PC a lot more.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Microsoft asked for £17 for an XP disk.
    Derek