    files from my kitchen computer from my living room computer using FTP or
    Telnet? I have the kitchen computer's IP address, now what? Any and all
    help will be welcomed. Thank you guys. :)

    Flores, Aug 19, 2003

  2. "Flores" <> wrote in message
    news:2Bq0b.105750$...
    > Hi, everyone. I would like to test the integrity of the security of my
    > personal computers. I have two computers not connected to each other in

    any
    > way- one in the living room, the other in the kitchen. How can I retrieve
    > files from my kitchen computer from my living room computer using FTP or
    > Telnet? I have the kitchen computer's IP address, now what? Any and all
    > help will be welcomed. Thank you guys. :)

    If you're not going to connect them then some sort of disk will be in order:
    floppy, zip, cd. On the other hand wireless or a cross-cable will likely be
    very handy. What has this got to do with security exactly. If the systems
    are not connected to anything they should be pretty safe!
    Chris

    news.planet.nl, Aug 19, 2003

  3. Flores

    Flores Guest

    The computers are connected to the Internet, however, they are not connected
    to each other.

    Flores, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Flores

    Leythos Guest

    In article <ZBt0b.105924$0v4.7448211@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    > The computers are connected to the Internet, however, they are not connected
    > to each other.

    I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT expose your computers to the
    internet, and that you DO NOT expose any FTP/File services to the
    internet until you have a COMPLETE GRASP on the risks and dangers of
    doing this.

    If you use something other than a MODEM to connect to the internet, get
    a router from Best Buy and connect the two computer that way. This will
    create a safe internal network that you can use to move files between
    the computer without exposing them to the internet. The router will also
    block inbound connections that you didn't invite into your network/PCs.

    If you are on dial-up, purchase FTP storage space from a vendor, and
    move your files that way.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Aug 19, 2003
  5. You did not mention if they're connected to a hub or switch or
    router/firewall combo or...?

    Anyways, assuming that they're independently connected to the Internet
    without the above aforementioned configuration, then, you'll need to obtain
    a FTP server software to run on ONE of your computers and then get yourself
    a good software firewall installed in that same computer... I can't help
    you further as I don't know which FTP server software you're familiar with
    and will be using... if you want a recommendation, then, you can WS FTP
    server.. just do a search in www.downloads.com

    Remember, it has to be Server software for ftp...

    Good luck.

    R Green
    Technical Support
    -------------------
    WoWsat.com
    -------------------

    R Green -WoWsat.com, Aug 19, 2003
  6. Flores

    veez Guest

    Personally I think it would be a lot safer to just connect the 2 computers
    using a hub plus a FW or a FW with an integrated switch (like a 4 port
    linksys or something similar) and set up a local LAN. The 2 computers will
    have no restrictions towards each other whatsoever because they're on a LAN,
    so you can use windows' file & print sharing. Setup the rulebase on the FW
    with outbound connections on 1 single firewall rather than opening inbound
    ports on 2 PC's to allow them to exchange files over the internet. This way
    you also have one single access point to the internet.

    VeeZ

    veez, Aug 20, 2003