    which ones would you recommend?

    Thanks very much for any help

    John
    John, Feb 29, 2004

  2. John

    Wizard Guest

    There ain't no such animal to my knowledge. Think about it ...If I was
    to steal your machine, the first thing I would do is format the drive
    and start over!

    Wizard, Feb 29, 2004

  3. John

    Michael-NC Guest

    There is such a thing.
    ComputracePlus
    http://www.computrace.com/
    Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
    The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
    more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
    "survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning". It
    will not be protected if the hard drive is physically removed your computer.
    Communication between your laptop and the Monitoring Center is encrypted.
    The company has a load of testimonials and success stories on it's website.
    It claims to recover 95% of the stolen computers using ComputracePlus who
    contact. IBM is a reseller. 1/3 of the Fortune 50 companies are customers.
    Requirements:

    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004
  4. John

    Jerry G. Guest

    If someone is to steal a machine, they would first format the drive and
    start over. There is no point. You should see if it is possible to have
    your name and address burned in to the firmware of the machine. But, this
    would also be erasable by someone who knows what they are doing.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Feb 29, 2004
  5. John

    Will Dormann Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > There is such a thing.
    > ComputracePlus
    > http://www.computrace.com/
    > Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
    > The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
    > more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
    > "survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning".

    Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure it
    will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by using
    one of various utilities to do the same.

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Feb 29, 2004
  6. John

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > Michael-NC wrote:
    >
    > > There is such a thing.
    > > ComputracePlus
    > > http://www.computrace.com/
    > > Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the

    market.
    > > The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day

    and
    > > more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
    > > "survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning".

    > Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure it
    > will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by using
    > one of various utilities to do the same.
    >

    > -WD

    Most miscreants who steal computers, aren't that smart. Hence the high
    recovery rate recorded by the company and IBM involved as a reseller.

    Nothing but death amd taxes is absolute.
    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004
  7. John

    Gladys Pump Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:38:40 -0500, "Jerry G." <>,
    whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following
    sentiments :

    >If someone is to steal a machine, they would first format the drive and
    >start over. There is no point. You should see if it is possible to have
    >your name and address burned in to the firmware of the machine. But, this
    >would also be erasable by someone who knows what they are doing.

    I think before they formatted the drive, they'd see what they could get out
    of it first, in terms of personal information and any other 'goodies'.

    Connecting the stolen computer straight up to the Net wouldn't be a wise
    idea, but as was previously mentioned, the scum who do steal in most cases
    aren't that bright.

    Does anyone still use those 'invisible-ink' marker pens ? Perhaps a name and
    postcode written on the inside of the case somewhere ? Or on a chip ?

    Regs, Pete.

    Never anthropomorphize computers. They don't like it.
    Gladys Pump, Feb 29, 2004
  8. John

    Clive Guest

    Will Dormann wrote:
    > Michael-NC wrote:
    >
    >> There is such a thing.
    >> ComputracePlus
    >> http://www.computrace.com/
    >> Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the
    >> market. The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet
    >> once per day and more often if reported stolen. According to the
    >> company, Computrace can "survive a re-format, F disk command and
    >> hard drive re-partitioning".

    > Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure
    > it will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by
    > using one of various utilities to do the same.
    >

    > -WD

    What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
    Video card?

    Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
    deleting, formatting, etc

    Clive
    Clive, Feb 29, 2004
  9. John

    Leythos Guest

    In article <Mht0c.5460$>,
    says...
    > What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
    > Video card?
    >
    > Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
    > deleting, formatting, etc

    I know a chap that just had two laptops stolen from his office last
    week. They were new Dell's and cost about $4500 each. They wanted to
    know if there was any way to recover them or track them - sadly I said
    NO.

    If I was a thief I would sell them to the next person I could, not even
    turning them on. If I was technical, I would boot from CD, wipe the
    system, and then go to a pawn shop to sell them....

    Unless you install a secret GPS system in the unit that does not need
    the HD or OS, then you can not recover them.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Feb 29, 2004
  10. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:15:15 GMT, Leythos <> wrote:

    >In article <Mht0c.5460$>,
    > says...
    >> What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
    >> Video card?
    >>
    >> Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
    >> deleting, formatting, etc

    >I know a chap that just had two laptops stolen from his office last
    >week. They were new Dell's and cost about $4500 each. They wanted to
    >know if there was any way to recover them or track them - sadly I said
    >NO.
    >
    >If I was a thief I would sell them to the next person I could, not even
    >turning them on. If I was technical, I would boot from CD, wipe the
    >system, and then go to a pawn shop to sell them....
    >
    >Unless you install a secret GPS system in the unit that does not need
    >the HD or OS, then you can not recover them.

    Hum, interesting. Would you even need GPS though? Are there not any
    other devices that are cheaper that you could use to track it?
    Perhaps some sort of small bug that you put inside the machine that
    has a battery and is connected to the computer power supply to keep it
    topped up? The type of bug law enforcement use to track vehicles, or
    conservation people use to track animals? Do all these use GPS? I'm
    sure some don't? There must be a cheaper method.

    John
    John, Mar 1, 2004
  11. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:19:15 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >There is such a thing.
    >ComputracePlus
    >http://www.computrace.com/
    >Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
    >The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
    >more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
    >"survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning". It
    >will not be protected if the hard drive is physically removed your computer.
    >Communication between your laptop and the Monitoring Center is encrypted.
    >The company has a load of testimonials and success stories on it's website.
    >It claims to recover 95% of the stolen computers using ComputracePlus who
    >contact. IBM is a reseller. 1/3 of the Fortune 50 companies are customers.
    >Requirements:

    It looks good, but seems expensive. It looks more for big business
    who can afford to pay this every year. I was really wondering if
    there was any software you just pay for once for home users, and then
    it yours for keeps, that doesn't use a central company to send reports
    to. Something that send the reports to an email address or web server
    of your choice where you can receive the info by going online using a
    different machine.

    John
    John, Mar 1, 2004
  12. John

    Dazz Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:34:23 +0000, Gladys Pump
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:38:40 -0500, "Jerry G." <>,
    >whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following
    >sentiments :
    >
    >>If someone is to steal a machine, they would first format the drive and
    >>start over. There is no point. You should see if it is possible to have
    >>your name and address burned in to the firmware of the machine. But, this
    >>would also be erasable by someone who knows what they are doing.

    >I think before they formatted the drive, they'd see what they could get out
    >of it first, in terms of personal information and any other 'goodies'.

    I think this depends on *who* steals the laptop.

    For instance, a junkie would more or less sell it as soon as they
    could (they would probably head to the nearest pawn broker or pub),
    while a professional thief, would get rid of it as soon as possible.

    On the other hand, if it was a professional thief trying to obtain
    information from the laptop (ie corporate espionage), then they'd
    definitely be looking at the hard drive.

    Likewise, a "crime of opportunity" would see the perpetrator switching
    it on as soon as they could, and using it for themselves.

    >Connecting the stolen computer straight up to the Net wouldn't be a wise
    >idea, but as was previously mentioned, the scum who do steal in most cases
    >aren't that bright.
    >
    >Does anyone still use those 'invisible-ink' marker pens ?

    The kind that shows up under a "black" light? Yup, a Gov entity I was
    working for just a week or two ago still uses them.

    Dazz
    Dazz, Mar 1, 2004
  13. John

    Michael-NC Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:19:15 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >There is such a thing.
    > >ComputracePlus
    > >http://www.computrace.com/
    > >Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the

    market.
    > >The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day

    and
    > >more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
    > >"survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning". It
    > >will not be protected if the hard drive is physically removed your

    computer.
    > >Communication between your laptop and the Monitoring Center is encrypted.
    > >The company has a load of testimonials and success stories on it's

    website.
    > >It claims to recover 95% of the stolen computers using ComputracePlus who
    > >contact. IBM is a reseller. 1/3 of the Fortune 50 companies are

    customers.
    > >Requirements:

    > It looks good, but seems expensive. It looks more for big business
    > who can afford to pay this every year. I was really wondering if
    > there was any software you just pay for once for home users, and then
    > it yours for keeps, that doesn't use a central company to send reports
    > to. Something that send the reports to an email address or web server
    > of your choice where you can receive the info by going online using a
    > different machine.
    >
    > John

    www.google.com

    "computer tracking software"