    through my whole computer to figure out how to set these
    settings and I cant figure it out. Can someone help me
    block this stuff.

    Jan, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Jan

    Matt Guest

    There's nothing in any version of windows that will block porn. You'll need
    to get a 3rd party program like Symantec Internet Security Suite. I'd
    recommend supervising a young child using the internet anyway, online chat
    rooms have become a predator's play ground.

    Matt

    Matt, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Jan

    Brat Guest

    you can do several things... get net nanny... block her internet
    connection... monitor her activity... change the IE settings on hers to only
    allow certain sites (like yahoo kids and kiddo net - both are strictly
    monitored)... sit beside her when she is using the computer and disallow her
    using the computer unless you or another adult are in the room... check with
    your isp - they sometimes have services just for this (I know ELNK
    does/did)... depends on her age what you deem appropriate...

    my daughter is 11 and I have nothing blocked on her profile but she is only
    allowed on when we are in the room and only to check her email - the address
    which she does not send out to anyone (I use my hotmail acct if she needs to
    sign up for anything so it all goes to me)... she has to ask me to forward
    her email to her friends ... she is only allowed on kiddonet, yahooligans,
    miniclip... knows she is not allowed to leave the sites thru links from the
    sites that she is allowed... if she gets mail from someone she does not
    know, she comes to me for me to read it... she even has called me for help
    when she got a couple of racey emails from a friend of hers that were
    inappropriate for her age group (and her friends) so I blocked her friend
    from sending email directly to her... it now gets forwarded to my email for
    monitoring... but this "friend" has not sent her any more email since I sent
    an email to her mother and her warning her of the consequences (legal action
    if necessary)... my daughter has not spoken to this girl since either (her
    choice not mine - she just didnt like what this other girl was sending her).

    Personally I think it is your responsibility to know where she is going
    online and if you teach her responsibility, she will be fine... if she
    cannot act within your rules, then you need to take the priviledge away...
    Just my opinion of course...

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Jan

    Brat Guest

    my daughter goes to kiddonet for online chats... I checked it out first...
    you cannot type on there... you have to pick phrases from a drop down list
    only.

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Without buying extra software, all that Windows provides is Internet
    Explorer's Content Advisor:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr.../prodtechnol/ie/reskit/ie6/part2/c05ie6rk.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/contentadv/config.asp

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Colin Nash [MVP], Feb 28, 2004
  6. You will need to open your Internet explorer and follow these steps

    Click Tool
    Click security ta
    Click restricted site
    Click sites ta
    Add all sites you want to prevent users from opening

    I hope this answer your question.

    Waz
    CCNA/MCSA/MCSE 2000
    Hope to pass MCSE 2003 on Monday

    =?Utf-8?B?d2F6?=, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Jan

    Jtyc Guest

    > You will need to open your Internet explorer and follow these steps:
    >
    > Click Tools
    > Click security tab
    > Click restricted sites
    > Click sites tab
    > Add all sites you want to prevent users from opening.

    It's a good thing that there are only a few porn sites out there.

    Jtyc, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Jan

    Kendal Emery Guest

    (((LOUD THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE))))

    It's about time parents take responsibility for what their kids do or do not
    do over the net, rather than let some program do it for them. I knew I was
    impressed with Sue for some reason.

    Kendal Emery, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Jan

    Brat Guest

    lol even my 7 yr old son obeys these same rules with no difficulty

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69

    Brat, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Jan

    kpg Guest

    dito

    My two kids have computers in their rooms but no Internet.
    If they need the Internet they have to use the one in the front
    room. My son, a teenager, always bugs me: I need the
    Internet in my room so I don't have to bother you or mom
    when I need to use it. Nice try. Go ahead and bother me.
    It took a lot of *discussion* before I allowed that AOL chat
    crap to be put on (which I did cave on) but I keep an eye
    on it, and being in the front room with everyone sitting around
    discourages anything inappropriate. Its hard to explain to a
    teenager much of anything least of which *why* they can't have
    free run of the Internet. The dichotomy of the Internet is something
    we must face when dealing with our kids: Vast amounts of information,
    education, and communication possibilities plus and an open doorway
    to the darker side of humankind.

    kpg
    moralitry police

    kpg, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Jan

    JaR Guest

    waz opined, On 2/28/04 7:06 PM:
    > You will need to open your Internet explorer and follow these steps:
    >
    > Click Tools
    > Click security tab
    > Click restricted sites
    > Click sites tab
    > Add all sites you want to prevent users from opening.

    ROTFLFAO!!!

    Wash, rinse, repeat, daily for 24 hours, till the sun goes supernova!

    Still won't get them all.

    JaR
    Amused Thug

    JaR, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Jan

    Brian Guest

    "Kendal Emery" <> wrote
    > It's about time parents take responsibility for what their kids do or do

    not
    > do over the net

    Yes, as opposed to my GF's 12yo sister, whose email is notyhoty69 (munged,
    but you get the idea). Geez, you never know who is on the other end of that
    chat line. Why? Because her parents know nothing about the computer and
    don't care to, even though I explained the consequences to them.

    Brian, Mar 1, 2004
  13. >Why? Because her parents know nothing about the computer and
    >don't care to, even though I explained the consequences to them.

    I just can't understand just how stupid some parents are. The
    'terrors' and 'horrors' of the internet have been know for years, yet
    many 'parents' seem to be in a time warp and are completely ignorant
    to the 'dark side' of the internet.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Jan

    Jtyc Guest

    > I just can't understand just how stupid some parents are. The
    > 'terrors' and 'horrors' of the internet have been know for years, yet
    > many 'parents' seem to be in a time warp and are completely ignorant
    > to the 'dark side' of the internet.

    Did you see the Chappelle show and their portrayal of the Internet if it
    were a place you could physically go to? Good stuff.

    Jtyc, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Jan

    JaR Guest

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere opined, On 3/1/04 1:30 PM:

    >>Why? Because her parents know nothing about the computer and
    >>don't care to, even though I explained the consequences to them.

    > I just can't understand just how stupid some parents are. The
    > 'terrors' and 'horrors' of the internet have been know for years, yet
    > many 'parents' seem to be in a time warp and are completely ignorant
    > to the 'dark side' of the internet.
    >
    > Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    I cleaned up a computer recently that was locking up at boot. Turned out
    it had a couple of 900 dialers called 'sexyparty' or some such, a
    screensaver of naked guys that was a trojan, tons of spyware, and a
    collection of pr0n that would make a sailor blush. All the crap was
    trying to 'call home' every time it was turned on & locked it up. They
    had cable, so the 900 dialers never could get out. It was the 13 year
    old daughter's personal computer.

    I suggested to the parents that they might take more interest in what
    the girl was D/L'ing and was told to mind my own business.

    No problem, can do it again for them anytime, the money is good.

    JaR

    JaR, Mar 1, 2004
  16. >Did you see the Chappelle show and their portrayal of the Internet if it
    >were a place you could physically go to? Good stuff.

    it is real

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Jan

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > >Did you see the Chappelle show and their portrayal of the Internet if it
    > >were a place you could physically go to? Good stuff.

    > it is real

    We can't even have a real conversation anymore.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Jan

    Jtyc Guest

    > We can't even have a real conversation anymore.

    No kidding... damn MCNGP mafia...

    wait a minute...

    Jtyc, Mar 1, 2004
  19. >No kidding... damn MCNGP mafia...

    Time microsoft took 'em down.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 1, 2004
  20. Jan

    Consultant Guest

    consolidate your bills......
    enlarge your penis, bro.....