    I believe there is some configuration problem.
    Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

    Regards,
    H.S, Sep 26, 2005

  2. I am also having a similar problem. My desktop can see the name of my laptop,
    but it won't connect to it for file sharing purposes. The laptop doesn't see
    the desktop as part of its network, but the laptop can ping to the desktop.
    And although the desktop sees the laptop a ping to the laptop has no
    response. I'm hoping that whoever helps you with your problem can help me
    with mine.

    =?Utf-8?B?TQ==?=, Sep 26, 2005

  3. H.S

    TW Guest

    HS
    This sounds like a browser issue. The browser service probably is running on
    each machine thus causing your name resolution problems. The browser
    service, upon startup of the computer, searches the network looking for the
    master browser on the network. The master browser is the computer that holds
    the list of shares on the network, and populates the network places with any
    shared resources on the network. You can try stopping the browser service on
    one of the computers, thus forcing the it to find the master browser and
    populate your network places.
    Question is- have you shared anything? Creating a share will start the
    server service. Without that you aren't visible on the network.

    I believe your problem is the firewall software that your using. Firewalls
    typically stop pings and any netbios activity unless you configure the
    firewall to allow pings, netbios(windows networking) or in general a trusted
    zone. I don't know what firewall you are using, but if you don't either,
    then your using the windows firewall. I don't use that so I can't offer much
    advise here but go to control panel| security center| click firewall and
    look for a way to enable file sharing or something like that.

    HS
    You might also have firewall issues.

    Hope that helps
    TW