    I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
    Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
    up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card
    cgott, Aug 31, 2005

  2. cgott

    Chet Guest

    That sounds like a virus that was making the rounds a year or so ago. Make
    sure your A/V is up to date then run a full system scan.

    Chet, Aug 31, 2005

  3. cgott

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "cgott" <> wrote in news:1125443414.972691.118480
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
    > by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
    > I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
    > Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
    > up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

    It sounds like the machine is compromised. You should find an AV NG and
    seek advice on AV and/or malware tools that can be used to detect and
    eradicate an infection.

    You can also look into *hardening* the XP O/S to attack a little bit.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 31, 2005
  4. cgott

    birdman Guest

    Unfortunately random reboots can be due to hardware problems. The main
    culprits are overheating and memory problems. Impending hard drive failure
    can cause this.
    Memory problems can be software based, however. In addition to virus and
    software scans it may be worth running a registry cleaning utility and
    defragging your hard drive.
    birdman, Aug 31, 2005
  5. cgott

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "cgott" <> wrote in message
    > Recently my 1 year old Compaq Presario SR1230NX has started to reboot
    > by itself, first when I tried to install various games, sometimes when
    > I'm on the internet, and sometimes when I try to shut it down thru
    > Windows XP. Occasionally the message "Invalid Boot Ini. File..." shows
    > up. Can anyone help? Athlon XP 3200 512 mb Visiontek 128 Xtasy card

    Maybe the Sasser worm. But you should configure it so it stops restarting.
    Go from Start to Control Panel to System, click on the Advanced Tab then
    click on the Settings button next to "startup and recovery" then on the next
    window, in the middle of the page remove the check next to "automatically
    restart". That way, if it does restart it might trigger a BSOD which will
    tell you what error is responsible.
    Mark Mandell, Aug 31, 2005