    Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?

    Goowill,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been noticing that my computer shuts down and restarts
    > without any instructions to do so. I used to keep my computer on
    > continuously before this started to happen. You can actually hear a
    > click when it happens. Also, when the computer has been unused, but
    > on, say overnight, when I try to get it running again, it starts,
    > then clicks and shuts down and restarts.
    >
    > Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?

    That's a possibility, but sounds more like something about your OS
    (Windows, I presume) has gotten corrupted. Instead of getting the blue
    screen of death, XP is now by default restarting.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Luke O'Malley

    Guest

    sounds like it could be the powersupply, you may also want to check
    that the cpu fan is running properly as it could be an overheating
    issue
    Luke O'Malley wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been noticing that my computer shuts down and restarts
    > without any instructions to do so. I used to keep my computer on
    > continuously before this started to happen. You can actually hear a
    > click when it happens. Also, when the computer has been unused, but
    > on, say overnight, when I try to get it running again, it starts,
    > then clicks and shuts down and restarts.
    >
    > Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?
    >
    > Goowill,
    > Luke
    , Aug 20, 2005
  4. Luke O'Malley

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Luke O'Malley wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been noticing that my computer shuts down and restarts
    >> without any instructions to do so. I used to keep my computer on
    >> continuously before this started to happen. You can actually hear a
    >> click when it happens. Also, when the computer has been unused, but
    >> on, say overnight, when I try to get it running again, it starts,
    >> then clicks and shuts down and restarts.
    >>
    >> Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?

    > That's a possibility, but sounds more like something about your OS
    > (Windows, I presume) has gotten corrupted. Instead of getting the blue
    > screen of death, XP is now by default restarting.

    Yeah - first thing I'd suggest for Luke is boot in safe mode, run chkdsk /r
    then sfc /scannow and see if that helps. If not, maybe system restore and go
    back a couple of weeks.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Luke O'Malley wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been noticing that my computer shuts down and restarts
    > without any instructions to do so. I used to keep my computer on
    > continuously before this started to happen. You can actually hear a
    > click when it happens. Also, when the computer has been unused, but
    > on, say overnight, when I try to get it running again, it starts,
    > then clicks and shuts down and restarts.
    >
    > Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?
    >
    > Goowill,
    > Luke

    Right click My Computer.
    Choose Properties.
    Choose Startup and Recovery.
    Untick the box marked Automatically Reboot.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Aug 20, 2005
  6. In article ,
    said:
    -->
    -->sounds like it could be the powersupply, you may also want to
    -->check
    -->that the cpu fan is running properly as it could be an overheating
    -->issue
    -->Luke O'Malley wrote:
    -->> Hi,
    -->>
    -->> I have been noticing that my computer shuts down and restarts
    -->> without any instructions to do so. I used to keep my computer
    -->on
    -->> continuously before this started to happen. You can actually
    -->hear a
    -->> click when it happens. Also, when the computer has been
    -->unused, but
    -->> on, say overnight, when I try to get it running again, it
    -->starts,
    -->> then clicks and shuts down and restarts.
    -->>
    -->> Does this sound like the power supply is having problems?
    -->>
    -->> Goowill,
    -->> Luke
    -->
    -->
    -->

    Thanks, that is one of the first things I checked since I had that
    happen once before.

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Luke O'Malley

    HarvMan

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi Luke,

    Did you ever resolve this issue? What was the solution?

    Thanks,
    Harv
    HarvMan, Dec 30, 2008