Computer reset problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kathryn H, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Kathryn H

    Kathryn H Guest

    Hi

    My new computer has problems with resetting/freezing itself. It seems
    to reset itself during anything graphically intensive - but also
    resets itself at other times. It will operate in windows (xp)
    perfectly fine until I start running programs - even internet explorer
    has caused the computer to crash on occassion. In games, such as max
    payne 2 and gunmetal, it will routinely reset itself, somewhere
    between 30secs to 10mins into the game. It will also reset itself
    during dx8 games such as ut2003. It has occassionally just crashed out
    of the game into windows xp - twice citing that the vpu fan needed
    replacement, but commonly just crashing out of the game in this case.
    I can't seem to run the computer for any more than half an hour
    without getting a reset of some sort. It has been fine playing mp3's
    and installing programs, but has crashed doing this too (although not
    as frequently as in a game).

    Whilst I am aware this is a new computer and I can take it back to the
    store to be fixed, I am curious as to what is causing the problem. I
    am assuming it could be the video card - but I am unsure as to whether
    a video card can cause an entire system reboot. If it's not the video
    card... then what could it possibly be?

    My system is:
    500W PSU
    DFI LanParty Ultra 2 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 3000+ (barton)
    1Gb Legend (dual channel) DDR RAM
    Asus 9600XT Video Card
    Plenty of fans inside the case too.

    I would appreciate any suggestions/help.
    Thanks

    Kathryn H, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Kathryn H

    bmoag Guest

    Possible sources of problems:
    Video drivers
    Defective Memory Chips
    Heat
    Power supply
    If it is under warranty take it in for repairs.

    bmoag, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Kathryn H

    mark mandel Guest

    "Kathryn H" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My new computer has problems with resetting/freezing itself. It seems
    > to reset itself during anything graphically intensive - but also
    > resets itself at other times. It will operate in windows (xp)
    > perfectly fine until I start running programs - even internet explorer
    > has caused the computer to crash on occassion. In games, such as max
    > payne 2 and gunmetal, it will routinely reset itself, somewhere
    > between 30secs to 10mins into the game. It will also reset itself
    > during dx8 games such as ut2003. It has occassionally just crashed out
    > of the game into windows xp - twice citing that the vpu fan needed
    > replacement, but commonly just crashing out of the game in this case.
    > I can't seem to run the computer for any more than half an hour
    > without getting a reset of some sort. It has been fine playing mp3's
    > and installing programs, but has crashed doing this too (although not
    > as frequently as in a game).
    >
    > Whilst I am aware this is a new computer and I can take it back to the
    > store to be fixed, I am curious as to what is causing the problem. I
    > am assuming it could be the video card - but I am unsure as to whether
    > a video card can cause an entire system reboot. If it's not the video
    > card... then what could it possibly be?
    >
    > My system is:
    > 500W PSU
    > DFI LanParty Ultra 2 Motherboard
    > AMD Athlon 3000+ (barton)
    > 1Gb Legend (dual channel) DDR RAM
    > Asus 9600XT Video Card
    > Plenty of fans inside the case too.
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions/help.
    > Thanks

    Agree that the video component is suspect. You might visit the manufacturer
    website for the card and download drivers from there. If that doesn't work,
    then something else connected with the card.

    mark mandel, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Kathryn H

    Kathryn H Guest

    Turned out to be a faulty ram stick. Its being replaced under warranty. Go figure.

    Kathryn H, Nov 17, 2003