Computer reset problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kathryn H, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Kathryn H

    Kathryn H Guest

    Hi

    I've just bought a new pc and it seems to have some reset problems. It
    frequently crashes during games (such as max payne 2 and gunmetal) -
    if I am lucky, it drops me out of the game and into windows (xp). If
    I'm not so lucky (which is more often the case) the computer resets
    itself (no real warning - it just suddenly pauses on the frame then
    reboots). It has done it a few times when I am not it a game - after
    closing a window - and reset itself 3 times when I was installing
    windows xp. The monitor programs that watch the video card have twice
    come up with "your fan appears to be working incorrectly and may need
    replacement". The monitor has also twice come up with "rate too slow
    to display (23hz)" when playing max payne 2 - then the computer has
    refreshed itself into windows and vpu recover (an ati utility) tells
    me the vpu has been reset and recovered into windows.

    Now, this doesn't just happen in dx9 games - it also happens in dx8
    games such as ut2003. I'm lead to think that the video card is the
    problem because the computer performs absolutely fine when playing
    mp3's, installing programs etc - it only seems to reset when there is
    something graphically intensive going on (although as noted before it
    has reset at other times).

    I guess what I am trying to ask is the graphics card most likely the
    cause of the resets? Can a graphics card force a system reset like
    this? If not, what would be the source of the problem?

    My system is:
    500W PSU (dual fan)
    DFI Lanparty Ultra 2 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 3000+ (Barton)
    1Gb Legend DDR RAM (running dual channel)
    Asus 9600XT Video Card
    4 Case Fans (2 intake, 2 outtake) - cooling isn't really a problem.

    Thanks
    Kathryn H, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Kathryn H

    Todd Howard Guest

    What drivers are you using for the Vid card? The newest ones (Cat 3.9) have
    had some issues ....I run the Omega 3.8's on my 9500 Pro with no probs and a
    lot of people think the 3.7's are good and stable....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Kathryn H

    Kathryn H Guest

    I have tried both the drivers bundled with the card and the ones off
    ati.com - both I believe are the 3.9 drivers. I honestly don't think
    it is a driver issue as it reset itself 3 times whilst installing
    windows before it even gets to the stage where it puts on drivers for
    the device.
    Kathryn H, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Kathryn H

    Todd Howard Guest

    Sorry I missed that part.....have you confirmed that the fan on the card is
    spinning properly?
    TH
    Todd Howard, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Kathryn H

    Peter Smith Guest

    Hi, it may be stating the obvious but do you run an antivirus software
    program; i had a similar problem 12 months ago nobody could solve the
    problem, i upgraded ny antivirus software dat file and lo and behold 2
    viruses were detected, after clearing the virus problem the crash
    problem never returned.
    Peter D Smith

    Peter Smith, Nov 16, 2003