Computer recovery with Knoppix

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Feb 5, 2006

  2. Au79 wrote:

    > I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to be
    > able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a Windows
    > machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives, reorganize
    > partitions, even virus check your machine.
    >
    > http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/272559/2979230/7615/0/

    And, just for fun, I have a old knoppicillin cd which includes paragon ntfs
    drivers. It is commandline-only, but you can beat the crap out of windows
    with it :).
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Au79

    Zitty Guest

    "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to be able
    > to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a Windows machine
    > and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives, reorganize partitions,
    > even virus check your machine.

    It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to edit or
    replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

    Zitty, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    Zitty wrote:
    > "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >> I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to
    >> be able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a
    >> Windows machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives,
    >> reorganize partitions, even virus check your machine.

    > It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
    > edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

    True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage if you
    have a borked Window machine.....

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Au79

    olfart Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Zitty wrote:
    >> "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >>> I don't go anywhere without a Knoppix CD because it is so useful to
    >>> be able to boot up Linux when there is some sort of problem with a
    >>> Windows machine and perform some maintenance. It can fix drives,
    >>> reorganize partitions, even virus check your machine.

    >> It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
    >> edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

    > True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage if you
    > have a borked Window machine.....

    BartPE does all of the above without all the Penquin BS

    olfart, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    olfart wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Zitty wrote:
    >>> "Au79" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> It can't write to an NTFS formated drive though, so if you want to
    >>> edit or replace files on your Windows partition - your out of luck.

    >> True - but you can use it to save all your data to external storage
    >> if you have a borked Window machine.....
    >>

    > BartPE does all of the above without all the Penquin BS

    True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
    process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier for
    the novice.

    Gordon, Feb 6, 2006
  7. "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > olfart wrote:
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    "True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
    > process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier for
    > the novice. "

    Any linux distro in the hands of a novice has a potential to be deadly -
    thank God it can't write NTFS!!!

    Flunkett Clogwheel, Feb 6, 2006
  8. Au79

    Zitty Guest

    "Flunkett Clogwheel" <> wrote in message

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> olfart wrote:
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    > "True - but you have to construct the Bart CD in a reasonably complex
    >> process - a Knoppix download is one iso and burn to CD.....much easier
    >> for the novice. "

    > Any linux distro in the hands of a novice has a potential to be deadly -
    > thank God it can't write NTFS!!!

    You can have fun with commands like

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    :)