    group. Yes, it needs to have the ability to be networked, but will be used
    for pretty basic functions. Would appreciate feedback on specific makes and
    also recommendations of preferred (online?) vendors... Thanks!

    JW, Sep 20, 2005

  2. JW

    PZ Guest

    Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one. One
    site with their coupons:

    http://dellpromos.com

    PZ, Sep 30, 2005

  3. JW

    Brian Guest

    what is low cost and how basic????? I have a pII laptop on my network that I
    got for $200. It's slow but it does basic internet and word processing. Is
    your network wireless or wired? Need more info to give an accurate answer.
    At a minimum you will need win98 system for smoother networking but you
    could get a used system at a garage sale or in the paper for less than $100
    usually...depending on your requirements for basic

    Brian, Oct 1, 2005
  4. JW

    Plato Guest

    PZ wrote:

    > Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one. One
    > site with their coupons:

    Sure you can. You can end up with no XP cd or even a quick start CD.
    Make sure you get one when you order. It cost extra as far as I know.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 1, 2005
  5. JW

    Jack Jones Guest

    "PZ" <> wrote in message
    > Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
    > One site with their coupons:

    Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point. For
    instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a floppy disk
    drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I did, I could
    just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into the Dimension.
    Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the case only to find
    the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension 3000 comes with.
    Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no way to mount the
    floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with Dell Support and
    was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I wanted to mount the
    floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware. They gave me the phone
    number needed to order the needed bay hardware. Unfortunately, the only way
    I can get the needed mounting hardware is to purchase a new floppy from
    Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

    Jack Jones, Oct 12, 2005
  6. JW

    Tee Jay Guest

    Jack Jones wrote:
    > "PZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
    >>One site with their coupons:
    >>

    > Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point. For
    > instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a floppy disk
    > drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I did, I could
    > just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into the Dimension.
    > Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the case only to find
    > the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension 3000 comes with.
    > Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no way to mount the
    > floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with Dell Support and
    > was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I wanted to mount the
    > floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware. They gave me the phone
    > number needed to order the needed bay hardware. Unfortunately, the only way
    > I can get the needed mounting hardware is to purchase a new floppy from
    > Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

    You can get a USB external floppy drive from Compusa for around $40.
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Oct 13, 2005
  7. JW

    Jack Jones Guest

    "Tee Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Jones wrote:
    >> "PZ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can't go wrong with a dell. Go look for the latest deals and buy one.
    >>>One site with their coupons:
    >>>

    >> Sure you can. Dell cuts too many corners to achieve their price point.
    >> For instance, I bought a Dimension 3000 earlier this year without a
    >> floppy disk drive as I figured I wouldn't really need a floppy and, if I
    >> did, I could just mount one of the old floppy drives I already have into
    >> the Dimension. Well, that need for a floppy came today. I opened up the
    >> case only to find the 3.5" external drive bay the specs say the dimension
    >> 3000 comes with. Alas, that bay was non-existent. There was absolutely no
    >> way to mount the floppy as Dell did not include the bay. So I talked with
    >> Dell Support and was told that yes, I didn't have the bay, and, if I
    >> wanted to mount the floppy I'd have to buy the appropriate case hardware.
    >> They gave me the phone number needed to order the needed bay hardware.
    >> Unfortunately, the only way I can get the needed mounting hardware is to
    >> purchase a new floppy from Dell. Bummer. How cheap can a company get?

    > You can get a USB external floppy drive from Compusa for around $40.

    The point Tee Jay, is that I already have a floppy drive and should not have
    to purchase a new one just because Dell saved a tiny bit of money by selling
    a Dimension 3000 that did not contain the 3.5" external bay that Dell's own
    specs says is standard. Particularly galling is that I cannot get the
    required case hardware without purchasing the floppy drive from Dell. One
    shouldn't have to spend $40 simply because Dell chose to not supply a 50
    cent piece of sheet metal.

    Jack Jones, Oct 13, 2005