    RAM..
    pls help..

    , Sep 3, 2007

  2. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My computer reboots itself three or four times automatically without
    > giving any message or warning. after such reboots it starts
    > functioning properly.. and thers no warning messages or scan disks..
    > i am having a p4 with an intel motherboard and Windows XP. i dont
    > remember changing my bios batteries but the i have changed my SMPS..
    > have done a full virus scan but found none..recently i added a 128mb
    > RAM..
    > pls help..

    First questions for clarity, do you mean it randomly reboots 3 or 4 times
    in succession then settles down?
    The power supply and additional RAM, was this an attempt to cure the
    problem, or has the problem only occurred after the hardware changes?

    ded, Sep 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Sep 3, 2:22 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > My computer reboots itself three or four times automatically without
    > > giving any message or warning. after such reboots it starts
    > > functioning properly.. and thers no warning messages or scan disks..
    > > i am having a p4 with an intel motherboard and Windows XP. i dont
    > > remember changing my bios batteries but the i have changed my SMPS..
    > > have done a full virus scan but found none..recently i added a 128mb
    > > RAM..
    > > pls help..

    > First questions for clarity, do you mean it randomly reboots 3 or 4 times
    > in succession then settles down?
    > The power supply and additional RAM, was this an attempt to cure the
    > problem, or has the problem only occurred after the hardware changes?

    yes , it randomnly boots 3 or 4 times then settles down and the only
    recent hardware change was the addition of 128 mb ram a few weeks ago
    n smps was changed around 8 months back but then the problem is a few
    days old..

    , Sep 3, 2007
  4. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 3, 2:22 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > My computer reboots itself three or four times automatically without
    >> > giving any message or warning. after such reboots it starts
    >> > functioning properly.. and thers no warning messages or scan disks..
    >> > i am having a p4 with an intel motherboard and Windows XP. i dont
    >> > remember changing my bios batteries but the i have changed my SMPS..
    >> > have done a full virus scan but found none..recently i added a 128mb
    >> > RAM..
    >> > pls help..

    >> First questions for clarity, do you mean it randomly reboots 3 or 4 times
    >> in succession then settles down?
    >> The power supply and additional RAM, was this an attempt to cure the
    >> problem, or has the problem only occurred after the hardware changes?

    > yes , it randomnly boots 3 or 4 times then settles down and the only
    > recent hardware change was the addition of 128 mb ram a few weeks ago
    > n smps was changed around 8 months back but then the problem is a few
    > days old..

    Though the random reboots have only been happening for a few days
    I would still make a correlation with the relatively new RAM or the power
    supply, or maybe overheating?
    Fisrt check all fans are functioning, and remove any dust/fluff build up.
    Try booting with the newest RAM module removed, if problem persists,
    swap with older RAM module, process of elimination with each Memory stick.
    The only real way of ascertaining if it is an unstable PSU is to swap with
    one that is known to work.

    Also, to enable any possible error messages to be displayed that are being
    missed:
    Control Panel>System>Advanced Tab>Start Up and Recovery>Settings
    And disable/De-select: "Automatically restart on system error"

    What should now happen, when the problem occurs, rather than random
    reboots, a system crash but an error message should appear, if so
    make full details of error message.

    ded, Sep 3, 2007
  5. Vanguard Guest

    OKAY THEN.
    (screams back)

    Vanguard, Sep 3, 2007
  6. Guest

    well the problem has gone but now the pc hangs up frequently..cleaned
    the cpu n checked all fans..but still the problem persists..

    , Sep 4, 2007
  7. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > well the problem has gone but now the pc hangs up frequently..cleaned
    > the cpu n checked all fans..but still the problem persists..

    I don`t know what your problems was but..
    Check the Event Viewer, to see if any errors are showing there.

    meerkat, Sep 4, 2007
  8. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > well the problem has gone but now the pc hangs up frequently..cleaned
    > the cpu n checked all fans..but still the problem persists..

    When it hangs, error mesages?
    You swapped out RAM? Then it must be an unstable PSU

    ded, Sep 4, 2007