    running to cause the reboot. Also I noticed sometimes when doing
    Video editing my monitor will also go blank and come right back.

    Any ideas what to troubleshoot?

    spam, Dec 19, 2004

  2. spam

    Thor Guest

    first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get a
    stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop error by
    default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system properties,
    then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery" section, click the
    "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically restart..." option. Then
    wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue stop error screen, make
    note of the EXACT message and error code along with any file information,
    and post it here.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2004

  3. spam

    The One Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get
    > a stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop
    > error by default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system
    > properties, then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery"
    > section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
    > restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue
    > stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
    > with any file information, and post it here.

    Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be and
    is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or attempted
    to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.

    The One, Dec 19, 2004
  4. spam

    spam Guest

    Thor, made the changes and will post the error message here if and
    when I see it.

    Thanks for the help, this group is one big help!

    spam, Dec 19, 2004
  5. spam

    spam Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:46:24 -0000, "The One"
    <> wrote:

    >"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually get
    >> a stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop
    >> error by default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the system
    >> properties, then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery"
    >> section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
    >> restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a blue
    >> stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
    >> with any file information, and post it here.
    >>

    >Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be and
    >is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or attempted
    >to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.

    No hardware changes to the system since I built it and the system ran
    great for almost a year before this problem started. Only changes I
    have made have been updated drivers or software. Made the change to
    the startup and recovery and am waiting for an error message.

    spam, Dec 19, 2004
  6. spam

    spam Guest

    Thor, below is the error message I received. I only wrote the
    Technical stuff:

    STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf38ad98a, 0f0505840, 0x00000000)

    tcpip.sys - address f38ad98a base at f3891000, DateStamp 41107ect

    spam, Dec 19, 2004
  7. spam

    Thor Guest

    well tcpip.sys is your TCP/IP network protocol driver. Perhaps some problem
    or conflict in your network settings or drivers. I would start by resetting
    your TCP/IP stack. Open a command prompt window and type

    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    Also check your system for spyware. Some kinds can hook into your winsock
    settings and cause all kinds of trouble.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2004
  8. spam

    The One Guest

    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:46:24 -0000, "The One"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>> first of all, disable the auto reboot function and see if you actually
    >>> get
    >>> a stop error screen with some useful info. WinXP reboots after a stop
    >>> error by default, so this may be happening in your case. Go to the
    >>> system
    >>> properties, then click "advanced", then in the "startup and recovery"
    >>> section, click the "settings" button. Then uncheck the "automatically
    >>> restart..." option. Then wait for your problem to occur. If you get a
    >>> blue
    >>> stop error screen, make note of the EXACT message and error code along
    >>> with any file information, and post it here.
    >>>

    >>Yep I has the same problem, depending on the error message, it could be
    >>and
    >>is highly likely an iffy RAM stick, have you upgraded recently or
    >>attempted
    >>to overclock which can sometimes finish off memory.
    >>

    > No hardware changes to the system since I built it and the system ran
    > great for almost a year before this problem started. Only changes I
    > have made have been updated drivers or software. Made the change to
    > the startup and recovery and am waiting for an error message.

    When yuo get an error message, match it up the one given in the websites
    below, to give you an indication of what may be wrong.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ottj.asp

    or

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

    The One, Dec 19, 2004
  9. spam

    The One Guest

    >> Thor, below is the error message I received. I only wrote the
    >> Technical stuff:
    >>
    >> STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf38ad98a, 0f0505840, 0x00000000)
    >>
    >> tcpip.sys - address f38ad98a base at f3891000, DateStamp 41107ect

    This is KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error

    A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn't
    catch. These are nearly always hardware compability issues (which sometimes
    means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

    Looks like a major hardware conflict.

    The One, Dec 19, 2004
  10. spam

    spam Guest

    Will reset the TCP/IP stack and see what happens. I've checked for
    spyware and any viruses already with several different programs,
    including online Housecall.

    I have noticed my router is acting funny sometimes when I reboot it,
    could this be the problem.

    spam, Dec 20, 2004
  11. spam

    Thor Guest

    > Will reset the TCP/IP stack and see what happens. I've checked for
    > spyware and any viruses already with several different programs,
    > including online Housecall.
    >
    > I have noticed my router is acting funny sometimes when I reboot it,
    > could this be the problem.

    eh, kinda doubt it, unless the thing is really feeding some weird stuff to
    your computer.

    Thor, Dec 20, 2004
  12. Thor, <>, the ill-advised, fecal frankenstein, and official
    recorder of events of historical unimportance, bayed:

    >> STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf38ad98a, 0f0505840, 0x00000000)

    > netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    > Also check your system for spyware. Some kinds can hook into your winsock
    > settings and cause all kinds of trouble.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Thor the thucktard thtwikes again!

    --
    Registered Linux User: #344402
    Akhenaten: Registered Linux Machine: #235500

    Filip Fliszczak, Dec 20, 2004