computer reboots randomly in xp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jpgary@gmail.com, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    My computer has been rebooting randomly in xp. Happens in the middle
    of working or during a virus scan or idle... for about 4 months now,
    it is a custom built late last year. Most of the time it will state a
    serious error when windows is done loading after the crash.

    i feared it was the ram and had that shipped and replaced back in
    April (had the RAM checked to work with the motherboard before
    purchase), and then I replaced the power supply with the latest
    (mentioned above). The previous was 400 watts a generic brand. I
    thought it might be the heat and swapped the cpu fan, but temperatures
    are under 40 C.

    I am wondering if this could be a hard drive issue, having maybe a
    conflict with an IDE drive and two SATAs. I have had the IDE for
    quiet some time now and needed additional space so I bought an
    additional SATA in March, crashing didn't start happening for at least
    a month later.

    intel core duo2 E6400
    ATI SAPPHIRE X1600 PRO 256M
    Corsair 2x1gb (2gb of ram that is at 6400)
    gigabyte DS3
    Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX
    with 2 sata drives and an ide drive with an sata converter.
    , Jul 12, 2007

  2. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > My computer has been rebooting randomly in xp. Happens in the middle

    It could simply be overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out
    your cpu fan and/or fansink and/or case fans with "compressed air"

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 12, 2007