computer reboots during shutdown process

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
    shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
    power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
    restart.

    I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
    or bachground program running.

    I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.

    Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
    power with the switch on the back of the PC.

    Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
    problem?

    TIA

    Mark, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Mark

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
    > shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
    > power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
    > restart.
    >
    > I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
    > or bachground program running.
    >
    > I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.
    >
    > Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
    > power with the switch on the back of the PC.
    >
    > Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
    > problem?

    Ask Microsoft - see if any of this helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311806

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Mark

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Mark, <>, whose name means "picks fights in
    pubs; owes his first born child to Visa", yawped:

    > I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now.

    Get rid of SP2.

    > A few days ago when I shut down the OS the system restarted.

    You call that a haircut?

    > It gets all the way until when the power should go off, and instead the
    > PC restarts.

    It's not the same.

    > It is almost like a restart.

    It's part of the mystique.

    > I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any
    > trojan or bachground program running.

    Do you know how to program robots?

    > I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well.

    You call yourself a woman?

    > It was dusty inside.

    It's that old black magic.

    > Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
    > power with the switch on the back of the PC.

    I've got a girlfriend.

    > Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for?

    Look at all those friends sitting around with you. I wonder why.

    > Hardware?

    Quick reflexes.

    > Registry problem?

    How long have you been suffering?

    > TIA.

    Get fucked in advance.

    pcbutts1, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Mark

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:31:29 GMT, "Mark" <> wrote:

    >I'm running Windows XP Pro for a couple years now. A few days ago when I
    >shut down the OS the system restarted. It gets all the way until when the
    >power should go off, and instead the PC restarts. It is almost like a
    >restart.
    >
    >I run NAV, and run Ad-Aware and Spybot weekly but cannot detect any trojan
    >or bachground program running.
    >
    >I opened the case and cleaned the PC very well. It was dusty inside.
    >
    >Still, I have this problem and the only way to shut down is to kill the
    >power with the switch on the back of the PC.
    >
    >Would anyone have any ideas on what to look for? Hardware? Registry
    >problem?
    >
    >TIA

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    "It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" Error Message When You Try to Shut Down Your WinXP,
    Win2000 Computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810903

    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

    Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311806

    Windows XP restarts unexpectedly or restarts when you shut down the computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320299

    You May Not Be Able to Shut Down Your Windows XP Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320008

    Unk, Jul 20, 2005