Computer rebooting: is it a registry problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. My computer keeps rebooting in the middle of running various applications.
    It seems to be a random problem. I have run Spybot, Spywareblaster,
    Hijackthis and cannot find any soursce of the problem. I have run a memory
    checking program and it did not find any problem with the memory. The CPU
    is not overheating as the rebooting problem only occurs when I'm running a
    program. I've checked the temp indicator in the BIOS and it seems normal.
    I've run Registry Mechanic and the rebooting problem happens at the same
    point when it is running so I think there may be a problem with the registry
    but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.

    When the computer reboots, I get a message stating that a system failure
    occurred and I get reffered to a Microsoft web site with the following info:

    Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

    Thank you for submitting an error report. Microsoft is unable to determine
    what specifically caused the problem you reported. To troubleshoot the
    problem, please see the information listed below.

    Analysis

    A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem, but we cannot
    determine the precise cause. Depending on which situation is applicable to
    you, please do one of the following:

    a.. If you are running Windows Server 2003 you may experience crashes if
    you have adjusted the Hardware Acceleration setting. Microsoft recommends
    that you set the Hardware Acceleration setting to None for server systems.
    To check your Hardware Acceleration setting, go to the Advanced section of
    the display properties dialog box.
    b.. If you know the manufacturer of the device, contact the manufacturer's
    product support service for assistance.
    c.. If you don't know the driver's manufacturer and need help diagnosing
    and resolving this problem, contact your computer manufacturer's product
    support service.
    d.. Updated drivers might be available on the Microsoft Windows Update
    website. At Windows Update, you can have your computer scanned and, if there
    are updated drivers available, Windows Update will offer a selection of
    drivers that you might be able to use. To learn more about updated drivers
    that might be available, visit Microsoft Windows Update.
    e.. For information about Microsoft support options, visit Microsoft
    Product Support Services.
    Additional Technical Information

    a.. Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    -----------------
    MY SYSTEM:

    Win XP Pro SP2 with latest updates
    AMD Athlon 1800
    512 MB memory
    13 GB Hard drive c:
    233 GB Hard drive d:
    Home network with ICS; problem is with computer connected directly to the
    internet

    ------------------

    Here's the results from Hijackthis:

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 1:35:44 PM, on 9/11/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
    D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    D:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe
    C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    D:\Downloaded Setup Files\hijackthis.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    www.excite.com/
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
    D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter -
    {41D68ED8-4CFF-4115-88A6-6EBB8AF19000} - c:\program
    files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -
    D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - D:\Program
    Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} -
    D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor]
    C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WebCam Go Plus Sti Service Application] Wcgopsvc
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program
    Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe
    /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe"
    /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] d:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
    Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [D:\Program Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe] D:\Program
    Files\NetMeter\NetMeter.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = D:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://d:\Program
    Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://d:\Program
    Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
    res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} -
    d:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell -
    {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - d:\Program
    Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} -
    d:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options -
    {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - d:\Program
    Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} -
    c:\program files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: McAfee Anti-Phishing Filter -
    {39FD89BF-D3F1-45b6-BB56-3582CCF489E1} - c:\program
    files\mcafee\spamkiller\mcapfbho.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -
    D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
    {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating
    System Class) -
    http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,96/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1120343016628
    O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager
    Class) -
    http://olympus.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient
    Class) -
    http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF}
    (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) -
    http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) -
    http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. -
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc -
    c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc -
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee,
    Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
    O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. -
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) -
    Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - D:\Program Files\Norton
    AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005

  2. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    > My computer keeps rebooting in the middle of running various
    > applications. It seems to be a random problem. I have run Spybot,
    > Spywareblaster, Hijackthis and cannot find any soursce of the
    > problem. I have run a memory checking program and it did not find
    > any problem with the memory. The CPU is not overheating as the
    > rebooting problem only occurs when I'm running a program. I've
    > checked the temp indicator in the BIOS and it seems normal. I've run
    > Registry Mechanic and the rebooting problem happens at the same point
    > when it is running so I think there may be a problem with the
    > registry but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    > When the computer reboots, I get a message stating that a system
    > failure occurred and I get reffered to a Microsoft web site with the
    > following info:
    > Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

    If MS is telling you the problem is caused by your graphics driver, WTF do
    you think it's a registry error? Have you recently upgraded your graphics
    drivers? If not, check for updates. If so, roll them back to your previous
    version.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005

  3. I haven't changed anything on my computer. I have the same graphic drivers
    that I've always had.

    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Also, I keep getting different error analyses when it reboots. I turned off
    the hardware acceleration on the graphics driver. I'll see if that solves
    the problem.

    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    which video card?

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Atlas Shrugged wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    >>> My computer keeps rebooting in the middle of running various
    >>> applications. It seems to be a random problem. I have run Spybot,
    >>> Spywareblaster, Hijackthis and cannot find any soursce of the
    >>> problem. I have run a memory checking program and it did not find
    >>> any problem with the memory. The CPU is not overheating as the
    >>> rebooting problem only occurs when I'm running a program. I've
    >>> checked the temp indicator in the BIOS and it seems normal. I've run
    >>> Registry Mechanic and the rebooting problem happens at the same
    >>> point when it is running so I think there may be a problem with the
    >>> registry but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >>> When the computer reboots, I get a message stating that a system
    >>> failure occurred and I get reffered to a Microsoft web site with the
    >>> following info:
    >>> Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver
    >>>

    >> If MS is telling you the problem is caused by your graphics driver,
    >> WTF do you think it's a registry error? Have you recently upgraded
    >> your graphics drivers? If not, check for updates. If so, roll them
    >> back to your previous version.
    >>

    > I haven't changed anything on my computer. I have the same graphic
    > drivers that I've always had.

    This isn't email - please reply at the BOTTOM of the thread so the thread
    stays in order.

    Try searching on the info from the error message in Google. A search for:
    STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    yields 1,520 results. The first one is from MS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293078

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005
  7. Radeon 7200 series, AGP.
    64MB memory

    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  8. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    >

    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> If MS is telling you the problem is caused by your graphics driver,
    >>> WTF do you think it's a registry error? Have you recently upgraded
    >>> your graphics drivers? If not, check for updates. If so, roll them
    >>> back to your previous version.
    >>>

    >> I haven't changed anything on my computer. I have the same graphic
    >> drivers that I've always had.
    >>

    > This isn't email - please reply at the BOTTOM of the thread so the thread
    > stays in order.
    >
    > Try searching on the info from the error message in Google. A search for:
    > STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
    > yields 1,520 results. The first one is from MS:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293078
    >

    > --
    > Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

    That's the link in the web site I was referred to. I did what it said to
    do. I still have the problem. I should note that I also ran Registry
    Mechanic in Safe Mode and the computer reboots when it gets to a certain
    point. That's one of the reasons I thought it was a registry problem.
    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  9. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    stop being so fucking bossy, you sound like some of the other pricks in
    here, if you can't be bothered don't fucking reply.
    You had the nerve to tell me my posts are useless...

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  10. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    If possible, remove the side door of your pc and see if it does it, I had a
    radeon that was in fact getting too hot.the 7200 doesnt have a fan does it,
    I know some dont.

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  11. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Render Me wrote:
    > stop being so fucking bossy, you sound like some of the other pricks
    > in here, if you can't be bothered don't fucking reply.

    Let me ask you this. When you read a book, do you read the end first? Or the
    middle? When a post is running top to bottom, it should be added to at the
    bottom. Otherwise it gets all screwed up and hard to figure who said what
    when.

    > You had the nerve to tell me my posts are useless...

    So are mine sometimes. BFD.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005
  12. "Render Me" <> wrote in message
    > If possible, remove the side door of your pc and see if it does it, I had
    > a radeon that was in fact getting too hot.the 7200 doesnt have a fan does
    > it, I know some dont.
    >

    > "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote in message
    >> Radeon 7200 series, AGP.
    >> 64MB memory
    >>

    >> "Render Me" <> wrote in message
    >>> which video card?
    >>>
    >>> "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote in message

    There is no fan on it. If it was getting hot, then why does the rebooting
    only occur when a program is running? Shouldn't the problem also occur when
    the computer is idle if that were the problem?
    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  13. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    No always. Graphics instensive programs can cause an issue.

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  14. I'll try your suggestion, but I don't think that Internet Explorer or
    Registry Mechanic are graphic intensive. I've had this computer for about 2
    years and never had a problem. Could be the card is bad.

    Atlas Shrugged, Sep 11, 2005
  15. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    > Render Me wrote:
    >> stop being so fucking bossy, you sound like some of the other pricks
    >> in here, if you can't be bothered don't fucking reply.

    > Let me ask you this. When you read a book, do you read the end first? Or
    > the middle? When a post is running top to bottom, it should be added to at
    > the bottom. Otherwise it gets all screwed up and hard to figure who said
    > what when.

    when you get an email , where is the reply posted to? It's not mandatory to
    bottom post or to top post for that matter, and you seem to have no problem
    replying in your hateful ass way.If no one needed help then we wouldn't need
    this newsgroup, would we?

    >> You had the nerve to tell me my posts are useless...

    > So are mine sometimes. BFD.

    and so is this one.If it pisses you off because someone isn't as smart as
    you think you are, then you may want to consider some time off.

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  16. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Render Me wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Render Me wrote:
    >>> stop being so fucking bossy, you sound like some of the other pricks
    >>> in here, if you can't be bothered don't fucking reply.

    >> Let me ask you this. When you read a book, do you read the end
    >> first? Or the middle? When a post is running top to bottom, it
    >> should be added to at the bottom. Otherwise it gets all screwed up
    >> and hard to figure who said what when.

    > when you get an email , where is the reply posted to?

    <snip>

    Ah! And there's the catch: THIS IS NOT EMAIL.
    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005
  17. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    When I had the same issue, I contacted MS, they told me it was a driver.Some
    other program/driver can be interfering with your graphics driver giving the
    error. I dont think the card is bad.when you arent online, disable your
    antivirus for a few, see if that helps any.

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  18. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Render Me wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Let me ask you this. When you read a book, do you read the end
    >>> first? Or the middle? When a post is running top to bottom, it
    >>> should be added to at the bottom. Otherwise it gets all screwed up
    >>> and hard to figure who said what when.

    >> when you get an email , where is the reply posted to?

    > <snip>
    >
    > Ah! And there's the catch: THIS IS NOT EMAIL.

    Oh - and I don't give a rat's ass about whether it's top posted or bottom
    posted. What I was saying is that if the thread is running from top to
    bottom, post additional input at the bottom. If the thread is running top
    posted, post additional input at the top. Geez...what is so fucking hard to
    understand about that?

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005
  19. Atlas Shrugged

    Render Me Guest

    nor is it a book...

    Render Me, Sep 11, 2005
  20. Atlas Shrugged

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Render Me wrote:
    > nor is it a book...

    ^^^^^ prime example. If someone got this message through a search engine,
    your comment is totally out of context, and the reader would need to scroll
    back and forth through this message to find out just WTF you're talking
    about.

    (mixed posting not corrected for obvious reasons)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 11, 2005