    making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I have
    honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can do to
    fix this? Thanks in advance.

    dan, Nov 27, 2004

  2. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    news:vBPpd.672506$8_6.49255@attbi_s04...
    >I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
    >Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
    >Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was
    >done) it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual
    >reboot cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading
    >screen, and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a
    >second, so making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I
    >have honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can
    >do to fix this? Thanks in advance.

    First, you need to disable the auto-reboot feature. Yes it is a *feature*.
    When WindowsXP encounters a fatal stop error, it automatically initiates a
    reboot by default. You can disable this behavior by going into the system
    properties (right-click "my computer" and choose "properties"), click
    "advanced" and then "startup and recovery". Uncheck the "automatically
    restart" option. Now, whenever that stop error returns, you should see a
    blue stop error screen, hopefully with some useful information about what
    driver or file is involved in the crash, and what stop error it is. When you
    find out, post what the screen says *exactly*, and we may be able to give
    you some ideas as to the cause.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004

  3. dan

    dan Guest

    I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
    after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
    (safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows as
    a last resort?

    dan, Nov 27, 2004
  4. dan

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:50:38 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

    >I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
    >after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
    >(safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows as
    >a last resort?

    If you cannot get safe mode to work, then there are not a lot of options.

    derek / nul, Nov 27, 2004
  5. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    >I am unable to do that. As I said, I am unable to go into Windows, it stops
    >after a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen. Any of the modes
    >(safe, normal, etc.), none of them work. Will I have to reinstall Windows
    >as a last resort?

    pop in your windows XP cd, boot up to it, choose to setup windows, then pick
    the repair install option.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004
  6. dan

    dan Guest

    When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on another
    computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to work.

    dan, Nov 27, 2004
  7. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on another
    > computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to work.

    you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
    suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have the
    option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password, although
    you will need your product key from the CD.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004
  8. dan

    dan Guest

    Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?

    dan, Nov 27, 2004
  9. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?

    the repair install will not.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004
  10. dan

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I have all that. Will it overwrite any documents on the computer?
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "dan" <> wrote in message
    >>> When I do that, what do I do afterwards? I remember doing that on
    >>> another computer a while ago and could not get the admin password to
    >>> work.

    >> you are thinking of running the recovery console. That's not what I'm
    >> suggesting. You need to choose to set up windows, and then you will have
    >> the option of doing a repair install. That doesn't require a password,
    >> although you will need your product key from the CD.

    The only thing you have to concern yourself with is reinstalling the Windows
    updates after the repair/install is completed.

    Mark Mandell, Nov 27, 2004
  11. dan

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:10:03 GMT, "dan" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Windows XP Home computer that I built that is about a year old.
    >Today, was on internet and it restarted randomly without an error message.
    >Then it booted into disk check, then after a while (not sure if it was done)
    >it rebooted again and since then has been going into an unusual reboot
    >cycle. It goes through BIOS, goes into the Windows XP Home loading screen,
    >and then a blue error screen shows up for less than a tenth of a second, so
    >making it impossible to read, and starts over with this cycle. I have
    >honestly no idea what is happening here. Does anyone know what I can do to
    >fix this? Thanks in advance.

    Connect it to another machine as a slave and run a thorough virus
    check.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 28, 2004
  12. dan

    dan Guest

    I'm not sure how to do the repair install. I put the CD in and it said my
    options were to setup Windows XP now, to run the recovery console, or the
    quit. You said there was also a repair install. Anyway, I hit R for the
    recovery console, then told it the installation I wanted to repair, and then
    the error message came up that comes up every reboot of the reboot cycle.
    But instead of coming up for a tenth of a second it stayed up, so I wrote it
    down. It said:

    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

    REGISTRY_ERROR

    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
    computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

    Check to see if any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this
    is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any
    Windows Updates you may need.

    If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
    software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you
    need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
    computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options and then slsect safe
    mode.

    Technical Information

    *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
    0xE11EE000

    I tried doing what it said to do in BIOS, but that didn't change anything.
    Safe mode does not work, I get the same reboot cycle where it goes through
    BIOS, to the Windows XP Home loading screen, then shows the blue error
    message for a tenth of a second and then starts over. I googled the techinal
    information code and other parts of the error, but it says stuff about going
    in to the Recovery Console, but I am unable to do that, because it shows the
    message. If I put the hard drive into this computer, what can be done to fix
    it? Or is there something I can do on that computer to get it to work
    without reinstalling Windows. Thanks.

    dan, Nov 28, 2004
  13. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure how to do the repair install. I put the CD in and it said my
    > options were to setup Windows XP now, to run the recovery console, or the
    > quit. You said there was also a repair install.

    I told you exactly how to do it, if you had followed my instructions. As I
    stated before, you have to choose to set up windows, THEN it gives you the
    option of a repair install. This is NOT the same option as repairing via
    recovery console. From the message you are getting, you have a corrupted
    registry. This can be due to a really bad software problem, or it could
    easily be hardware-related. Bad RAM, or failing harddrive, incorrect memory
    timing settings in the BIOS, etc. Try the repair install, and see what you
    get out of that.

    Thor, Nov 28, 2004
  14. dan

    dan Guest

    Sorry, I didn't catch that in your other post. When I made the computer, I
    used cheap parts and that has had a number of issues. Luckily, I used better
    parts with this one. I'll try the repair install now, and post what happens
    after that. I hope it lets me get that far. Thanks very much for all of your
    support with this problem.

    dan, Nov 29, 2004
  15. dan

    dan Guest

    More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is strarting to
    look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup Windows Now, and then
    after around 30 seconds the same:

    *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
    0xE11EE000

    Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I will
    not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one of those
    utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error would come up.
    Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this computer, back some
    files up, then run the utility, and reformat and reinstall Windows. Any
    other ideas? Thanks.

    dan, Dec 2, 2004
  16. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is strarting
    > to look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup Windows Now, and
    > then after around 30 seconds the same:
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
    > 0xE11EE000
    >
    > Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I will
    > not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one of those
    > utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error would come up.
    > Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this computer, back some
    > files up, then run the utility, and reformat and reinstall Windows. Any
    > other ideas? Thanks.

    you are pretty much at the point where you need to attempt a clean install,
    and if that fails, you have clear hardware problems. Back up your crucial
    data, and simply run setup with the option to reformat the drive. Writing 0s
    to the drive should be unnecessary.

    Thor, Dec 2, 2004
  17. dan

    Thagor Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > "dan" <> wrote in message
    >> More news! It won't let me do a repair install! The problem is
    >> strarting to look very bad. I boot up with the XP CD, choose Setup
    >> Windows Now, and then after around 30 seconds the same:
    >>
    >> *** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000,
    >> 0xE11EE000
    >>
    >> Error comes up. It also shows REGISTRY_ERROR. The way it looks now, I
    >> will not even be able to reinstall and reformat without running one
    >> of those utilites that writes 0s to my hard drive because that error
    >> would come up. Looks like I will have to put the hard drive in this
    >> computer, back some files up, then run the utility, and reformat and
    >> reinstall Windows. Any other ideas? Thanks.

    > you are pretty much at the point where you need to attempt a clean
    > install, and if that fails, you have clear hardware problems. Back up
    > your crucial data, and simply run setup with the option to reformat
    > the drive. Writing 0s to the drive should be unnecessary.

    Uh, you wouldn't have the BIOS controlled boot sector protection turned
    on would you? Just a thought!
    Also, why on Earth would you want to write zeros to the drive? If it will
    format without errors, you are good to go. That is, if you really have to
    do that...

    Thagor, Dec 3, 2004
  18. dan

    dan Guest

    It won't let me get that far tp reformat. I get the rror before the reformat
    screen comes up.

    dan, Dec 3, 2004
  19. dan

    brend Guest

  20. dan

    Thor Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > It won't let me get that far tp reformat. I get the rror before the
    > reformat screen comes up.

    then you have big problems. I'd be investigating bad RAM or bad harddrive to
    start with.

    Thor, Dec 3, 2004