    have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.

    Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?

    Peter
    oorak, Feb 15, 2008

  2. oorak

    gregg fowler Guest

    oorak wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Recently I had problems with my mouse not working and found that a PS2
    > mouse would not work, but a USB one would.
    >
    > Then I found that the computer was failing, it would shut down, then start
    > again, then it started cutting out whilst booting, then restarting again,
    > then shutting down again.
    >
    > It is painful now as it takes about 8 or 9 attempts to boot up and I
    > always have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.
    >
    > Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?
    >
    > Peter

    Reseat your memory and cards. If you have two memory sticks try and boot
    with one, then the other. Sound as if you are getting errors during post. I
    would start here.
    gregg fowler, Feb 15, 2008

  3. oorak

    PeeCee Guest

    "oorak" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Recently I had problems with my mouse not working and found that a PS2
    > mouse
    > would not work, but a USB one would.
    >
    > Then I found that the computer was failing, it would shut down, then start
    > again, then it started cutting out whilst booting, then restarting again,
    > then shutting down again.
    >
    > It is painful now as it takes about 8 or 9 attempts to boot up and I
    > always
    > have to go into setup to do this once it finally stays on.
    >
    > Thought it could be the PSU but don't think it is, any suggestions please?
    >
    > Peter

    Peter.

    Possibilities.

    Software.
    Virus's, spyware, trojans etc.
    Bad software install/uninstall's
    Corrupted files, registry.
    Remedies range from killing any nasties to a complete reinstall.

    Hardware.
    Loose cables, cards and screws
    Motherboard dying
    Power supply dying
    RAM failure.
    Hard drive dying.

    From my experience if there are no software problems the most likely causes
    are hard drive, power supply or motherboard.
    Open the case and do a visual looking for blocked fans, loose cards/cables
    and objects floating around in the case.
    Have a close look for bulging capacitors, then try another known good power
    supply.
    Download your hard drive makers diagnostic utility and test your hard drive.

    Best luck
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 15, 2008
  4. oorak

    oorak Guest

    Thanks Gregg and PeeCee, done all this but nothing obvious, but I have an
    engineer coming out to help.

    oorak, Feb 16, 2008