    protecter/battery backup.All other peripherals such as my
    monitor,printer and scanner are powered up fine.What could be the
    problem? Thanks so much for any help you could give me.

    SoberN2003, Jun 9, 2005

  2. SoberN2003 wrote:

    > Hi, I am having computer prgblems I hope someone can help me with. My
    > computer has started shutting itself off suddenly . In addition, it
    > will suddenly begin to turn itself on and off rapidly,as if someone is
    > sitting there repeatedly pressing the button. I can sometimes get it to
    > turn on and stay on for various lengths of time,anywhere from a couple
    > of minutes to a couple of hours.Often I cant get it to turn on at all.
    > The green light on the back where the power supply is is lit up. I
    > checked the fans and they are working,there was very little dust inside
    > the machine. I have the computer plugged to an APC surge
    > protecter/battery backup.All other peripherals such as my
    > monitor,printer and scanner are powered up fine.What could be the
    > problem? Thanks so much for any help you could give me.

    Check your cpu temperature.
    In most modern systems there is a monitor in BIOS.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 9, 2005

  3. SoberN2003

    SoberN2003 Guest

    Ok,thanks. When I can get it to start up I will do that. What should
    the cpu temperature be? and what do I do if it is too high?

    SoberN2003, Jun 9, 2005
  4. SoberN2003 wrote:
    > Ok,thanks. When I can get it to start up I will do that. What should
    > the cpu temperature be? and what do I do if it is too high?

    Knowing which cpu you are talking about might help narrow it down a bit.

    The usual way to get over the heat problem is to replace the cpu fan
    with something that has a larger debit.

    Shortterm measures include leaving the sides off the case.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 9, 2005