computer quotes

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    http://www.devtopics.com/101-great-computer-programming-quotes/

    “I’ve noticed lately that the paranoid fear of computers becoming
    intelligent and taking over the world has almost entirely disappeared from
    the common culture. Near as I can tell, this coincides with the release
    of MS-DOS.”
    (Larry DeLuca)

    “Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better
    idiot-proof programs, while the Universe is trying to create bigger and
    better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.”
    (Rich Cook)

    “The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its
    continuing cancellation of the steady and staggering gains made by the
    computer hardware industry.”
    (Henry Petroski)

    “Complexity kills. It sucks the life out of developers, it makes products
    difficult to plan, build and test, it introduces security challenges, and
    it causes end-user and administrator frustration.”
    (Ray Ozzie)

    “Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more
    ‘user-friendly’… Their best approach so far has been to take all the old
    brochures and stamp the words ‘user-friendly’ on the cover.”
    (Bill Gates)

    “If McDonalds were run like a software company, one out of every hundred
    Big Macs would give you food poisoning, and the response would be, ‘We’re
    sorry, here’s a coupon for two more.’ “
    (Mark Minasi)

    “A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on the basis of
    being able to turn out, after innumerable punching, an infinite series of
    incomprehensive answers calculated with micrometric precisions from vague
    assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents
    and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of
    dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of
    annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless department that was
    unfortunate enough to ask for the information in the first place.”
    (IEEE Grid newsmagazine)

    Predictions:

    “Everything that can be invented has been invented.”
    (Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899)

    “It would appear that we have reached the limits of what it is possible to
    achieve with computer technology, although one should be careful with such
    statements, as they tend to sound pretty silly in 5 years.”
    (John Von Neumann, circa 1949)

    “I think there’s a world market for about 5 computers.”
    (Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of the Board, IBM, circa 1948)

    “There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.”
    (Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977)

    “640K ought to be enough for anybody.”
    (Bill Gates, 1981)

    and my favorite:

    “That’s the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they
    really hate is lousy programmers.”
    (Larry Niven)

    - Bobb -, Oct 27, 2008

  2. - Bobb -

    TehRabbitt Guest

    This is Great... It completely made my day :-D

    TehRabbitt, Nov 22, 2008