    the CPU & the motherboard. Would I be right thinking that one of these is
    the culprit, or is there something I have missed? Please any help will be
    gratefully accepted.

    cyberwraith, Nov 9, 2005

  2. cyberwraith

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:53:56 +0000, cyberwraith wrote:

    > I am hoping that someone within this NG can help. My mate is having trouble
    > with his computer. It runs very well, and it shuts down ok. Then when you
    > try to switch it back on.....the monitor stays blank although we can see the
    > case fans etc spinning in the tower. Now if we turn off the power via the
    > little black toggle switch on the back of the tower, then turn that back on
    > the monitor flares into life. We have checked the following by replacing
    > each in turn. The graphics card, the memory and the sound card. We have even
    > tried a different power source and a monitor as well as completely
    > disconnecting all drives! The only items we have not been able to test are
    > the CPU & the motherboard. Would I be right thinking that one of these is
    > the culprit, or is there something I have missed? Please any help will be
    > gratefully accepted.

    I know this sounds silly, but make sure the power cord to the monitor is
    plugged in real tight. I had one do that to me periodically and it drove
    me nuts until I replace the cord with a new one. Problem stopped.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Nov 10, 2005

  3. cyberwraith

    cyberwraith Guest

    Thanks JT, we have checked that and it does seem to be tight. I cannot think
    of anything else apart from the CPU / motherboard simply because I have
    tested everything else. I have no spare boards to test either the CPU or
    switch the board itself. I am very reluctant to suggest to my mate that he
    spends money on either until I can be sure. The wonderful world of
    computers.....Hmmm?! LOL.

    cyberwraith, Nov 10, 2005