    fix this?

    I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but hey
    it works and it gets me on the net.

    Eppz, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Eppz

    Bradley26 Guest

    can you add more detail?

    you start the computer up, it does the memory test thing, beeps one time
    only, then what?
    does it show the Windows 98 screen?

    isnt it that you hit the ESC key and it shows whats going on?

    what is the text on the screen?

    does it say some file is missing or corrupt? and you hit enter and it goes
    on??

    what file is it talking about?

    if you have data on the disk you want to keep? try to save it now. get the
    win98 CD rom and boot from that, and choose repair; or better yet, buy the
    new winXP upgrade, its so much better, your time in hours is worth it

    Bradley26, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Eppz

    brushes Guest

    "Eppz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
    > up.
    >
    > When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
    > enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can

    > fix this?
    >
    > I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but

    hey
    > it works and it gets me on the net.

    what is 'enger'???

    the fact that you can, by using whatever 'enger' is, proceed to the boot
    would suggest something in the bios maybe?

    Perhaps try running auto-detect in the bios

    brushes, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Eppz

    WebWalker Guest

    In dos prompt, type "scandisk".

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Eppz

    Tim Jowers Guest

    "Eppz" <> wrote in message news:<HNk8d.8982$>...
    > Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
    > up.
    >
    > When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
    > enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can I
    > fix this?
    >
    > I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but hey
    > it works and it gets me on the net.

    There is probably an error during boot. It is perhaps supposed to
    print a message out to the screen. So, probably waiting for you to hit
    enter in order to allow you to read the message.

    Or, maybe a bug? Maybe the F5 or whatever special key Win98 uses to
    show the boot process is stuck. Turn the keyboad over and shake. Bang
    the esc, F* keys a few times to loosen up wahtever may have got stuck
    in there. Or spend the $12 on a new keyboard.

    And then there's always the Old Microsoft Windows remedy... reinstall.
    :-0
    Or, better yet, get someone to burn you Knoppix or another bootable
    Linux ditro. and have some fun with it instead. The system boots from
    the CD so you do not have to worry about trashing your Win98 on your
    hard drive.

    Wild Guesses :)
    Tim

    Tim Jowers, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Eppz

    colin Guest

    Eppz <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
    > up.
    >
    > When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
    > enter to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can

    > fix this?
    >
    > I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but

    hey
    > it works and it gets me on the net.

    Have a look at your `autoexec.bat` file for an entry like `prompt` or
    similar.

    edit autoexec.bat at the C:\ you mentioned, then delete or REM the
    offending entry.

    or start>run>sysedit within windows.

    or paste the contents of both autoexec.bat & config.sys back here, if
    unsure.

    colin, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Eppz

    Caesar Guest

    Re: Bradley26 does more tech support...

    Captain Ron wrote:
    > Don't listen to the simpleton. He needs directions to wipe his own
    > ass, he ends up wiping his nose.

    We've all realized that about Bradley26. He's a piece of work ain't he.

    P.S. Don't top-post.

    Caesar, Oct 5, 2004
  8. Eppz

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 19:12:37 -0400, "Eppz" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I went out for the weekend and when I came home my computer got messed
    >up.
    >
    >When I start to boot up all that appears is the C:\ then I have to push
    >enger to get my computer to go any further and finish booting up. How can I
    >fix this?

    We need to know _exactly_ what the environment is when you
    have to push enter... how far it'd booted, what's on the
    screen, etc.

    >I'm using windows 98 w/ 64 megs of RAM. I know it's nothing special but hey
    >it works and it gets me on the net.

    Nothing wrong with that, it's kind of silly really when
    someone buys a P4 with 1GB memory, etc, etc, then only
    surfs and emails.

    kony, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Eppz

    Matt Pascoe Guest