Computer problems - possible trojan inefction.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lee, Nov 20, 2007.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Win 2K.
    Hi,
    My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
    enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
    but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
    other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
    It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
    folder' in 'my documents'
    She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
    delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
    in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
    programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
    viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
    I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
    wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;

    1) adware.starware
    2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
    3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
    4) application.second-sight.

    I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
    known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
    affect us and we clean them regular.
    The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
    someone else here can help me out before i do?
    I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
    one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
    error message when i try downloading something.
    I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
    required.

    Any ideas please?

    Thanks
    Lee
    Lee, Nov 20, 2007

  2. Lee

    The Rifleman Guest

    I cant offer you much hope, only perhaps save you some time, I recently had
    a similar problem and ended up with a trojan called CHO.AL Spybot,
    spydoctor and AVG7.5 could not get rid of it, Spydoctor could detect it and
    deal with it, but as soon as I turned the PC back on the infection reoccured
    again, I ended up having to completely reformay my drive, apparently many
    recent trojans are so clever they can survive an anyti spyware / anti virus
    program.

    The Rifleman, Nov 20, 2007

  3. Lee

    ded Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message
    > Win 2K.
    > Hi,
    > My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
    > enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
    > but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
    > other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
    > It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
    > folder' in 'my documents'
    > She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
    > delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
    > in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
    > programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
    > viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)
    > I also ran a second program which i downloaded a free trial (which
    > wont actually remove it just show the infections) and it said i had;
    >
    > 1) adware.starware
    > 2) trojan-spy.banker.egj
    > 3) application.pc-tattletale-parental-control-software
    > 4) application.second-sight.
    >
    > I dont know if these are related to the bad file or not but my son is
    > known to pick up a few infections here and there that dont usually
    > affect us and we clean them regular.
    > The only thing i can see to do is a full format and reinstall but can
    > someone else here can help me out before i do?
    > I have 3 profiles on the comp, one works a little, two hardly at all,
    > one connects to the internet after a while but comes up with various
    > error message when i try downloading something.
    > I can get programs etc off the internet at work and take them home if
    > required.
    >
    > Any ideas please?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lee

    3 user profiles, who has administrator rights?
    "P2P program", which one? A good one would have created an "isolated"
    folder for downloads, but you mention a "shared folder"..tut tut.
    When trying to delete the downloaded .avi, there would be a specific
    error messsage, such as file is inaccessible, access rights etc?
    "various error messages when downloading"? Error messages indicate
    what is wrong, so what are the error messages?
    The slowness could be anything, corrupt user profiles, corrupt registry etc.
    The 4 found malware you list, were the location listed, was it win32?
    For malware you can use the following downloads, but a format is easier:
    Malicious malware removal tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830/en-us
    Free Ad-Aware download:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
    Free Spybot search and destroy malware removal:
    http://www.link-2008.com/spybot/def...eb66a0842d54&gclid=CO2ssq2l648CFQ6ZQwodMVezMg
    (Use all 3 above tools)
    Create new user profile, recover user profile data, delete corrupt profiles.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473/en-us

    But the easy answer, format, reinstall.
    ded, Nov 20, 2007
  4. Lee

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:36:25 -0800 (PST), Lee <>
    wrote:

    >Win 2K.
    >Hi,
    >My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
    >enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
    >but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
    >other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
    >It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
    >folder' in 'my documents'

    Try the 30-day trial here:

    http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/
    <snip>

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r
    Mara, Nov 20, 2007
  5. Lee

    chuckcar Guest

    Lee <> wrote in

    > Win 2K.
    > Hi,
    > My wife downloaded somethingin error while clicking over
    > enthusastically, you know the type of thing, it says its an .avi file
    > but the title of it is about 3 miles long, full of swearing, porn and
    > other disgusting words. I would like help on how to remove this file.
    > It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
    > folder' in 'my documents'
    > She tried to delete it as soon as she realised what it was but it wont
    > delete, nor can you cut it, change the properties of it, or affect it
    > in any way. Now the computer has slowed down to near nothing and most
    > programs are unresponsive. I ran Mcafee which did not detect and
    > viruses / spyware (it never seems to, and yes it is up to date!)

    You *do* scan the *entire* hard drive from time to time right? Otherwise
    no AV program will find all infections no matter how good it is.

    > Any ideas please?

    Try running Mcafee as mentioned above and remove *all* infections by
    first quarentening the files and then remove all the infected files.
    Your AV software should be set up to scan all downloads esp. email. If
    it's not doing this, you should read the help to make sure you set it up
    so it does. After that make *absolutely* sure that everone *knows* how
    to make sure that any download is not a virus/trojan so you don't get
    infected again. That is have them scan *anything* they download before
    they do anything with it other than save it to some place where it
    *will* be deleted immediately if that is the case.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 20, 2007
  6. Lee

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000
    signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners, Desktop/Homepage
    Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related Malware/Spyware. New Feature,
    Remove-it will now update your hosts file. This tool is designed to
    Specifically remove all variants. Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed
    for Windows 2000/XP only.First read this page
    http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads then use the email link on the bottom of
    the page to receive the software.

    pcbutts1, Nov 20, 2007
  7. Lee

    bardeban Guest

    Go to safe mode and than run spybot again.

    bardeban, Nov 22, 2007
  8. Lee

    Plato Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > It was downloaded from a P2P sharing programme and went to a 'shared
    > folder' in 'my documents'

    NEVER use any P2P file sharing programs EVER. Unless you want to toast
    your PC.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 22, 2007
  9. "pcbutts1" <> after much thought,came
    up with this jewel in

    > Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000
    > signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners,
    > Desktop/Homepage Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related
    > Malware/Spyware. New Feature, Remove-it will now update your hosts
    > file. This tool is designed to Specifically remove all variants.
    > Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed for Windows 2000/XP
    > only.First read this page http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads

    Then read these and make your choice.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/09/07/I-do-believe-
    PCBUTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/11/10/272921.aspx

    http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?p=10097

    http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16

    http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/securityblog/2006/09/07/pcbutts1what-
    a-royal-pain-in-the-butt/

    http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07/pcbutts1-back-at-it/

    http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/pcbutts-internet-software-
    theif.html

    max
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html
    Maximus the Mad, Nov 22, 2007
  10. Lee

    pcbutts1 Guest

    For your reading pleasure
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8261578886161919944&postID=113514999305518430--Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloadsThe list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com, DavidH. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz, Beauregard T.Shagnasty,Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell"Maximus the Mad" <> wrote in messagenews:Xns99F0A222FFE91whatsinaname@207.115.33.102...> "pcbutts1" <> after much thought,came> up with this jewel in> news:fhv6cp$678$:>>> Use Remove-it version 14, it's fast and free. It now has over 5000>> signatures to remove All variants of Rogue scanners,>> Desktop/Homepage Hijackers, Trojans, Codec's, and related>> Malware/Spyware. New Feature, Remove-it will now update your hosts>> file. This tool is designed to Specifically remove all variants.>> Scan time is about 2-10 minutes. Designed for Windows 2000/XP>> only.First read this page http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads>>>>> Then read these and make your choice.>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/09/07/I-do-believe-> PCBUTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/11/10/272921.aspx>> http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?p=10097>> http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16>> http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/securityblog/2006/09/07/pcbutts1what-> a-royal-pain-in-the-butt/>> http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07/pcbutts1-back-at-it/>> http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/pcbutts-internet-software-> theif.html>> max> --> Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html> Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html> Tools http://max.shplink.com/tools.html> Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply by email.
    pcbutts1, Nov 23, 2007
  11. Lee

    pcbutts1 Guest