    monitor and the graphics card.any suggestions where to look next would be
    gratfully recieved.
    Thanks in advance

    David Hallam, Aug 20, 2007

  2. David Hallam

    Ragnar Guest

    David Hallam wrote:
    > when i power up my computer i have a picture until the first couple of
    > screens,when it should load windows xp the picture goes.i've checked
    > the monitor and the graphics card.any suggestions where to look next
    > would be gratfully recieved.
    > Thanks in advance

    I had the same problem but Windows did eventually load despite the screen
    being blank for a couple of minutes. Does Windows eventually load for you
    or does everything just go dead?

    My problem turned out to be a hardware conflict, resolved only when I
    renewed the motherboard and scrapped the sound card.

    Ragnar, Aug 20, 2007

  3. David Hallam

    David Hallam Guest

    windows is loading,could it be the processor.and how do you check it thanks

    David Hallam, Aug 21, 2007
  4. David Hallam

    Paul Guest

    David Hallam wrote:
    > windows is loading,could it be the processor.and how do you check it thanks
    > "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >> David Hallam wrote:
    >>> when i power up my computer i have a picture until the first couple of
    >>> screens,when it should load windows xp the picture goes.i've checked
    >>> the monitor and the graphics card.any suggestions where to look next
    >>> would be gratfully recieved.
    >>> Thanks in advance

    >> I had the same problem but Windows did eventually load despite the screen
    >> being blank for a couple of minutes. Does Windows eventually load for you
    >> or does everything just go dead?
    >>
    >> My problem turned out to be a hardware conflict, resolved only when I
    >> renewed the motherboard and scrapped the sound card.

    If you got a picture on your screen, the processor is OK.

    If the screen is black and nothing is happening, then a bunch of
    different stuff could do that.

    To test processor and memory, download memtest86+ from memtest.org .
    There is an ISO version that you burn to a CD. And a version that
    will format a floppy for you.

    This is what the screen looks like when it is running:

    http://www.memtest.org/pics/i875-big.gif

    It runs the video card at 640x480 resolution. It tests the memory, and
    the processor conducts the test. As such, if this test can boot from the
    floppy or from a CD, then you know a lot of your hardware is working.
    You want to let it run for a couple complete passes (give or take, a
    couple hours). The test will run forever if you don't touch it.

    That test does not test your hard drive.

    If you want to test the hard drive, you can get a test program from
    the hard drive maker. For example, if your drive was a Seagate or a
    Maxtor, you could go here and get "Seatools".

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    If your drive was Western Digital, they have "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic"

    http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=2

    If you get a picture on your screen, but the boot doesn't finish,
    then something could be scrambled on your hard drive. And not necessarily
    a hard drive problem, but something corrupted, say, if the power went off
    suddenly.

    A test I like, but which is "expensive", is to download a Linux Live CD.
    Ubuntu (ubuntu.com) and Knoppix (knopper.net) are two 700MB downloads.
    They take the form of an ISO file, which you burn to a CD. I actually
    had to buy a new burner, because my old one would not burn a 700MB image
    (hard to believe). If you are on high speed internet, it might take
    an hour to do it. If you are on dialup, it takes... forever. That is
    why I call this particular test, "expensive", because the preparation
    can take a lot of time.

    The idea about these CD images, is they can boot without any hard drive
    being present. A hard drive is not needed to get them to work. With
    Knoppix, you put the CD in the tray, and in a few seconds, a command
    prompt appears. You type in "Knoppix" and carriage return, and the OS
    starts loading. The Linux boot messages will appear on the screen, in
    colored text. If you have some defective hardware, you'd see messages
    while all the hardware is being enumerated and drivers being loaded.
    I use Knoppix when testing overclocked computers, as an indicator of
    how stable they are. Of the two, I prefer Knoppix, because of those
    text messages on the screen as it is booting. With Ubuntu, you might
    want to type "dmesg" into a command window, to see the results of
    the boot process. Since Knoppix shows this immediately, if there is a
    serious hardware problem, you are more likely to be able to see the
    error message.

    I'm weaker on data recovery utilities. There are a lot of them, and
    I don't know which ones to trust. I hope your hard drive is still
    functional.

    The power supply on computers is a weak link, and is responsible for
    a lot of failures. But if you got a picture on the computer screen,
    then chances are the power supply is still working to some degree.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 21, 2007
  5. David Hallam

    David Hallam Guest

    Thanks Paul i'll try these tests,fans hdd lights working so hopfully windows
    is loading.i can get a picture to get in bios,and see the first screens
    during post then the picture goes.

    David Hallam, Aug 21, 2007
  6. David Hallam

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 20, 6:23 pm, "David Hallam" <> wrote:
    > when i power up my computer i have a picture until the first couple of
    > screens,when it should load windows xp the picture goes.i've checked the
    > monitor and the graphics card.any suggestions where to look next would be
    > gratfully recieved.
    > Thanks in advance

    Go into cmos and deactivate the m'board logo.

    sandy58, Aug 21, 2007
  7. David Hallam

    - Bobb - Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 20, 6:23 pm, "David Hallam" <> wrote:
    >> when i power up my computer i have a picture until the first couple of
    >> screens,when it should load windows xp the picture goes.i've checked
    >> the
    >> monitor and the graphics card.any suggestions where to look next would
    >> be
    >> gratfully recieved.
    >> Thanks in advance

    Boot into SAFE MODE and check/change display settings to ... anything
    else - lower quality / slower refresh rate etc

    - Bobb -, Aug 25, 2007