    noise that sounds like it is searching for a disk even though i am not
    actually using that drive at the moment. Is there any reason for this and
    could i be being hacked at all, any suggestions would be appreciated.......
    Chris Suckling, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Chris Suckling wrote:

    > For some reason i keep getting my A Drive light on tower light up with a
    > noise that sounds like it is searching for a disk even though i am not
    > actually using that drive at the moment. Is there any reason for this and
    > could i be being hacked at all, any suggestions would be appreciated.......

    No, you just connected it 180° twisted. And please, repair that before
    inserting any floppy, as it would get formatted.
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 28, 2006

  3. "Chris Suckling" <> wrote in message
    > For some reason i keep getting my A Drive light on tower light up with a
    > noise that sounds like it is searching for a disk even though i am not
    > actually using that drive at the moment. Is there any reason for this and
    > could i be being hacked at all, any suggestions would be
    > appreciated.......

    If this has been constant since working on hardware, then the other reply is
    correct.

    If this is a new thing, then I have found it to come from some form of
    spyware.
    It may involve periodic drive activity, such as on startup or shutdown, or
    random times.
    The last time I recall it happenig was when my son installed one of the file
    sharing programs here - bearshare, gnutella, limewire, kazaa or something
    similar. It went away when I reformatted and reinstalled windows, but it
    probably could have been reinstalled.

    Our immediate solution was to unplug the drive.

    There is also an anti virus program we have used which periodicaly checked
    the floppy drive to see if anything was there to be scanned, even when the
    drive was empty.

    Try to find out what is actually running when the drive activity happens

    Stuart
    Stuart Miller, Sep 28, 2006