Computer problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MrScaryCain, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. MrScaryCain

    MrScaryCain Guest

    Hello, I'll try to give some background to fully explain the situation,
    forgive me if it runs long. I've got a Dell Dimenion 4400 1.6, 1000MB RAM 19GB
    hardrive, running winXP. I ran my virus scanner (Fixit Utilities4) a couple
    weeks ago and it showed I had a trojan horse: TROJ_STARTPAGE.W in two different
    files, which the program couldn't clean. I went online to trendmicro to get
    info and followed their steps to remove it (removing various autostart entries
    from the registry). After completing this the trojans were still there. I
    went out and bought McAfee virusscan 2004 thinking maybe a newer different
    software would do it. It didn't. I finally ended up deleting the two files
    that the scan said were infected: C: programfiles\common files\microsoft
    shared\msinfo\info32.exe and C: windows\system32\tapicfg.exe. I then ran
    the all in one system checkup with Fixit utilities which scans the drive,
    registry, etc. This takes awhile so did it before going somewhere. When I
    returned the program had frozen. I was unable to ctrl-alt-delete or get the
    computer to shut off with the power button so had to unplug and plug back in.
    After restarting trying to open anything resulted in the computer running
    incredibly slow, hourglass icon just sitting there. I could move the cursor
    but nothing happened. Tried to ctrl-alt-delete unsuccessfully and again had to
    disconnect the power to get it to shut off. After numerous episodes of this I
    booted from the winxp cd and ran the repair install. Now everytime it boots
    the harddrive beeps once and freezes on the welcome screen. If I
    crtl-alt-deleteI get a message about the paging file being to small. I
    followed the instructions to change this restarted but every restart it gives
    me the beep and freezes on welcome then gives me the same paging error. I have
    run the diagnostics on the hard drive by dbl-clicking going to properties, etc.
    and it doesn't show any problems. If I try to run my Fixit program it
    immediately closes when I select a scan to do. The McAfee program at start up
    tells me that the virus scanner is expired even though I just installed it a
    week ago. Anytime I try to open any Mcafee program I immediately get a crash
    message and have to terminate the application. When I try to go online to
    update it I can not access the internet. I can stay within my ISP (email,
    newsgroups, etc.) but it won't go to any web sites. I've reinstalled my
    internet software to no avail. I use both compuserve and AOL 9.0. On
    compuserve attempting to access the internet it shows page loading but it never
    loads. On AOL it immediately tells me there was a problem and aol is
    restarting. It reconnects me but if I try to access the internet the same
    thing happens. I have been able to play StarWars Jedi outcast with no problem
    or sluggishness, but just opening system files or other programs and it just
    runs unbelievably slow or not at all and I continually have to restart. I've
    tried to uninstall McAfee to see if it was causing a conflict but I can't
    because clicking on it even in unistall hardware/programs causes a crash. I've
    tried to boot in safemode (f8) but it just beeps once or twice a screen pops up
    for half a second and it goes to loading then the welcome screen. I haven't
    recently installed any new drivers or hardware or anything that I can think are
    the root of the problem. I can boot to BIOS and when I go through it it
    doesn't look like anything is setup wrong although I don't know much about the
    BIOS. I've tried to boot from the Fixit CD and run scandisk but my drive
    doesn't show up on the select a drive to scan screen. If I just click scan
    anyway it says it couldn't access drive C. I don't want to have to reformat
    the drive, especially if this won't solve the problem, but am wondering if this
    is my only remaining option.
    Again I'm sorry for the long post, just want to give as much info as I can
    hoping someone can give me some help as I am at the end of my rope. Any help
    would be GREATLY appreciated.

    MrScaryCain, Nov 26, 2003

  2. MrScaryCain

    Wizard Guest

    Here is what I would do:

    Try to boot and opt for last good boot (or some such wording)
    Try to boot to safe mode and run "restore"
    try to boot to safe mode and run "sfc" (have your win cd handy)
    Try to boot to the "R" Repair Console and replace the 2 files you
    deleted
    If that all fails then you have no alternative but to reformat and start
    over.
    When you get squared away use McAfee and forget the other one.

    Wizard, Nov 26, 2003

  3. MrScaryCain

    Trent© Guest

    On 26 Nov 2003 09:03:20 GMT, (MrScaryCain) wrote:

> [...]
    >for half a second and it goes to loading then the welcome screen. I haven't
    >recently installed any new drivers or hardware or anything that I can think are
    >the root of the problem. I can boot to BIOS and when I go through it it
    >doesn't look like anything is setup wrong although I don't know much about the
    >BIOS. I've tried to boot from the Fixit CD and run scandisk but my drive
    >doesn't show up on the select a drive to scan screen. If I just click scan
    >anyway it says it couldn't access drive C. I don't want to have to reformat
    >the drive, especially if this won't solve the problem, but am wondering if this
    >is my only remaining option.
    > Again I'm sorry for the long post, just want to give as much info as I can
    >hoping someone can give me some help as I am at the end of my rope. Any help

    Are you related to Thor?! lol

    Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 27, 2003
  4. MrScaryCain

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Try www.pandasoftware.com and use the Free Activescan! Left side of main
    page. It cleans, kills and is very precise.

    This will do the trick I am sure =0) Let me know how you make out.

    Best,

    Jack Barrett

    http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Nov 27, 2003
  5. MrScaryCain

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    think are
    > >the root of the problem. I can boot to BIOS and when I go through it it
    > >doesn't look like anything is setup wrong although I don't know much

    about the
    > >BIOS. I've tried to boot from the Fixit CD and run scandisk but my drive
    > >doesn't show up on the select a drive to scan screen. If I just click

    scan
    > >anyway it says it couldn't access drive C. I don't want to have to

    reformat
    > >the drive, especially if this won't solve the problem, but am wondering

    if this
    > >is my only remaining option.
    > > Again I'm sorry for the long post, just want to give as much info as I

    can
    > >hoping someone can give me some help as I am at the end of my rope. Any

    I think not but _you_ must be related to my arsehole, cause the resemblance
    is overwhelming...

    Michael-NC, Nov 27, 2003
  6. MrScaryCain

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:11:46 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >I think not but _you_ must be related to my arsehole, cause the resemblance
    >is overwhelming...

    Hi, Michael Nut Case...how ya been?!

    Yer email address says it all! lol

    Trent©, Nov 27, 2003
  7. 1.Save all important programs to CD,zip disk or floppys

    2.run Quick Restore,it will take the computer back to where it was the day you
    bought it.(thats why you have to save everything important)

    Edwardonthewebb, Nov 27, 2003