Computer problem: reset on boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rob, Oct 9, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Hey all,

    A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    reboots--its an infinite cycle!

    So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    wasn't the problem.

    I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    problem is in the hard drive.

    Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
    bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
    drive.

    Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
    it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?

    Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
    connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

    Thanks!

    Rob

    Rob, Oct 9, 2007

  2. Rob

    Guest

    Rob <> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    >restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    >But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    >reboots--its an infinite cycle!
    >
    >So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    >wasn't the problem.
    >
    >I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    >to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    >the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    >problem is in the hard drive.
    >
    >Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    >old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    >at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    >reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
    >bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
    >drive.
    >
    >Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
    >it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
    >
    >Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
    >connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

    This can happen if you have a corrupt user profile - it's a secutiry
    feature :)

    Food Fight
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1208040355&size=l

    , Oct 9, 2007

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    On Oct 8, 10:17 pm, wrote:
    > Rob <> wrote:
    > >Hey all,

    > >A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    > >restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    > >But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    > >reboots--its an infinite cycle!

    > >So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    > >wasn't the problem.

    > >I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    > >to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    > >the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    > >problem is in the hard drive.

    > >Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    > >old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    > >at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    > >reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
    > >bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
    > >drive.

    > >Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
    > >it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?

    > >Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
    > >connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?

    > This can happen if you have a corrupt user profile - it's a secutiry
    > feature :)http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >
    > --
    >
    > Food Fighthttp://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1208040355&size=l

    uh...did you read what I said? Perhaps what I said wasn't clear. As
    soon as the computer finishes the bios startup, and would normally
    show "Windows XP" (WAY before you get to the "log in" page), it
    reboots.

    Rob, Oct 9, 2007
  4. Rob

    CM Guest

    Since you can boot to the newly installed Windows XP on the new HDD as
    Master and the old problematic hdd as slave, try to access the old HDD
    through the "My Computer" of the new system and see if you can save the
    personal data from it onto the new HDD or removable media (CD/DVD/Flash
    drive ) . Next using RIGHT-click My Computerr>Manage > Disk Management see
    if you can repartition and reforamt that old HDD. If you could do that you
    might be able to reinstall ( image current working partition and clone it
    back on the old HDD. ) the System. Otherwise leave the current system in
    place and remove and discard the dead HDD.
    CM

    CM, Oct 9, 2007
  5. Rob

    Ben Myers Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hey all,
    > A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    > restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    > But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    > reboots--its an infinite cycle!
    > So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    > wasn't the problem.
    > I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    > to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    > the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    > problem is in the hard drive.

    <snip>

    Most hard drive manufacturers have diagnostic software available
    for download.

    Maxtor and Seagate http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/
    Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 9, 2007
  6. Rob

    PeeCee Guest

    "CM" <> wrote in message
    > Since you can boot to the newly installed Windows XP on the new HDD as
    > Master and the old problematic hdd as slave, try to access the old HDD
    > through the "My Computer" of the new system and see if you can save the
    > personal data from it onto the new HDD or removable media (CD/DVD/Flash
    > drive ) . Next using RIGHT-click My Computerr>Manage > Disk Management see
    > if you can repartition and reforamt that old HDD. If you could do that you
    > might be able to reinstall ( image current working partition and clone it
    > back on the old HDD. ) the System. Otherwise leave the current system in
    > place and remove and discard the dead HDD.
    > CM
    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    >> restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    >> But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    >> reboots--its an infinite cycle!
    >>
    >> So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    >> wasn't the problem.
    >>
    >> I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    >> to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    >> the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    >> problem is in the hard drive.
    >>
    >> Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    >> old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    >> at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    >> reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
    >> bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
    >> it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
    >>
    >> Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
    >> connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Rob

    May I respectfully suggest you reread the OP, particulary this paragraph:

    "Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo."

    P.

    PeeCee, Oct 9, 2007
  7. Rob

    old man Guest

    Try connecting old hd via usb enclosure
    It *may* enable you to recover data providing its not totally shot

    Also there are some bootable utilities on www.bootdisk.com that may assist
    in recovering data

    Of course you can tell your friend that the best way to recover data is from
    a backup :(

    old man, Oct 9, 2007
  8. Rob

    cineman Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    > restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    > But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    > reboots--its an infinite cycle!

    SNIP

    I had this problem shortly after downloading and installing free software,
    it asked to reboot to complete install, which i did, and had same problem.
    Pressing f5 or f8 I got into safe mode, and uninstalled the software, also
    ran adaware se personal edition. Spybot S&D, and ccleaner.
    rebooted back into normal mode all was well.
    Not saying this is same fault but worth a try before stripping HD out,

    cineman, Oct 9, 2007
  9. Rob

    chuckcar Guest

    Rob <> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    >
    > A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    > restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    > But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    > reboots--its an infinite cycle!
    >
    > So what have I done so far. I first checked the powersupply. This
    > wasn't the problem.
    >
    > I then tried switching out the hard drive...and it worked. I was able
    > to boot (and in fact install windows) on to another hard drive. So
    > the computer worked fine with no obvious glitches whatsoever--the
    > problem is in the hard drive.
    >
    > Next, I set the old hard drive up as a slave, and connected both the
    > old and the new to the computer (with new as master). It detects both
    > at boot, but as soon as the old hard drive is connected, the computer
    > reboots before reaching the Windows XP logo. Again, goes through the
    > bios setup just fine, but resets as soon as it tries to read the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Is this hard drive dead?? Is there ANYTHING that can be done to get
    > it to work? Can anything be done to get the data off the drive?
    >
    > Question: what if I hook the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and
    > connect it to the computer after its booted? Could that work?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Rob

    Try try FDISK/MBR from safe mode command prompt only with *only* the
    questionable drive connected. Then try running scandisk on the drive
    from safe mode command prompt only (doing a *full* scan including *all*
    sectors). If noting is amiss there, you will have to remove the
    partition and add it again. Of course if that fails then the drive is
    dead. But try doing a virus/spyware scan if you can using a USB
    enclosure first, Hooking up the drive after all booting is complete.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 9, 2007
  10. Rob

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:02:52 -0700, Rob <>
    wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >A friend came to me with a computer problem: her computer would
    >restart on boot. It's a windows XP machine, AMD, fairly good speed.
    >But now, just before the Windows XP should appear, the computer
    >reboots--its an infinite cycle!

    The first things you would normall try is to press F8 (once a second)
    as the PC is starting up until the WIndows XP troubleshooting menu
    appears.

    Then try Last Known Good Configuration.

    If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode.

    If either of the above work its a Windows corruption problem, you
    might be able to fix by booting from the Windows CD and doing a Repair
    install (NOT Repair using Recovery Console). You will need to
    reinstall all Windows high-priority updates afterwards.

    Otherwise, yeah, it's probably hardware...

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Oct 10, 2007
  11. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Didn't think of pressing F8 before...but no-go. No matter which
    option I pick, it still reboots. Safe mode, safe mode w/ command
    prompt, safe mode w/ networking, last known good config, and others.
    Every one of them leads to a reboot right after pressing enter.

    Any other ideas?

    Rob

    Rob, Oct 10, 2007
  12. Rob

    Guest

    On 10 Oct, 01:02, Rob <> wrote:
    > Didn't think of pressing F8 before...but no-go. No matter which
    > option I pick, it still reboots. Safe mode, safe mode w/ command
    > prompt, safe mode w/ networking, last known good config, and others.
    > Every one of them leads to a reboot right after pressing enter.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    When you have two disks installed what is the boot priority list?
    Is it trying to bood from the "bad" one.

    Sounds like a corrupt registry:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

    A way to examine your disc is to create a CD as described at:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    There are various recovery utilites.

    , Oct 10, 2007
  13. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Update: Putting it into a USB enclosure, another computer detects it
    as a hard drive, partitioned, but unformatted.

    How can I get at the file system that I know is on there?

    Rob

    Rob, Oct 10, 2007
  14. Rob

    old man Guest

    It probably beyond home recovery

    old man, Oct 10, 2007
  15. Rob

    Rob Guest

    So no other ideas?

    Rob

    Rob, Oct 12, 2007
  16. Rob

    Guest

    Rob <> wrote:

    >So no other ideas?

    I don't know if it's been mentioned but try F8 and select no reboot on
    error.

    Then:
    1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

    2. Click the Advanced tab.

    3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and
    Recovery dialog box.

    4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the
    necessary number of times.

    5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

    >On Oct 10, 10:54 am, "old man" <> wrote:
    >> It probably beyond home recovery
    >>
    >> "Rob" <> wrote in message

    >> > Update: Putting it into a USB enclosure, another computer detects it
    >> > as a hard drive, partitioned, but unformatted.

    >> > How can I get at the file system that I know is on there?

    >> > Rob

    --

    A wife
    www.dnaco.net/~vogelke/pictures/bad-motivational-posters/image014.jpg

    , Oct 12, 2007
  17. Rob

    HT Guest

    I solve your problem!

    www.hindustantechnology.com
    Hindustan Technologies, the one of the biggest and best independent
    online suppliers in Computer technology field. HT is most Popular
    brand for resale the new Desktop PC, Laptop PC, Computer Parts &
    Computer Accessories etc.

    Contact me
    HT 9818728390

    HT, Oct 12, 2007
  18. Rob

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 02:37:37 -0700, HT <> wrote:

    >I solve your problem!

    No, you haven't. Google groupers like you are still allowed to post. That's
    worse than Al Gore winning the Nobel Prize.

    The world's really gone to hell. <sigh>

    --
    The smallest feline is a masterpiece.
    --Leonardo da Vinci