    behavior we're seeing right?

    thanks,

    Todd

    Todd Anderson, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Todd Anderson

    Brian Guest

    This kind of thing can happen when shipping a system. Your monitor goes to
    amber because it is not getting a video signal from the computer.
    What I usually do is:
    If you have a multimeter test the batery(take it off of the motherboard to
    test voltage) If it is a CR2032 it should be 3 volts. Less than 2 volts I
    would swap but if you dont have one handy 2 volts and up should get the
    system running (change when you can)

    Start by unplugging all external cables except power, video, keyboard (and
    mouse because it's sometimes easier to navigate but not necessary).

    If the system still is not booting but the CPU fan is spinning (which means
    you have power, I'll cover no power below *also), open the case and unplug
    all power cables to drives and data cables to drives, try it again.

    If you still have nothing, unplug all add on cards (modem, sound etc) except
    video, unplug and reseat the video card (make sure the monitor is turned off
    and unplugged from the card when you do this!!) and try again
    If you still get nothing, remove ALL memory and boot to see if you get a
    memory error. If you do get the error try putting in one stick of memory in
    slot 0, then try the other if that did not boot..if you do not get the error
    try reseating the CPU

    If at this point you are still not booting the problem could be either the
    CPU or the motherboard (everything else has been removed) I recommend
    replacing both together

    *If the CPU fan is NOT spinning its a power issue, turn it off and try
    cycling the voltage switch on the back of the power supply. Its usually red
    and switches from 120 to 250volts. Make sure it's back on 120 when you start
    it again. If your CPU fan is not spinning it's the power supply, replace it.

    If at some point the system boots the start adding the components removed
    one at a time to see where the problem is. It could be a faulty card or
    slot, too much power drain for the power supply, bad IDE/SATA drive etc.

    Hope this helps
    Brian

    Brian, Dec 23, 2006

  3. "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > This kind of thing can happen when shipping a system. Your monitor goes to
    > amber because it is not getting a video signal from the computer.
    > What I usually do is:
    > If you have a multimeter test the batery(take it off of the motherboard to
    > test voltage) If it is a CR2032 it should be 3 volts. Less than 2 volts I
    > would swap but if you dont have one handy 2 volts and up should get the
    > system running (change when you can)

    So a bad system battery can cause the system not to boot? I would not
    have expected that. I suspect the battery is bad so maybe that is the first
    thing they should try.

    > Start by unplugging all external cables except power, video, keyboard (and
    > mouse because it's sometimes easier to navigate but not necessary).

    Everything was working fine before the ship so I was looking for something
    that the ship might have caused. I am not there so on the other end you
    have
    2 computer illeterates trying to diagnose the problem. Too much plugging
    and unplugging of stuff on the motherboard is likely to end in disaster.

    Todd Anderson, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Todd Anderson

    Grappletech Guest

    > Everything was working fine before the ship so I was looking for
    > something that the ship might have caused. I am not there so on the
    > other end you have
    > 2 computer illeterates trying to diagnose the problem. Too much
    > plugging and unplugging of stuff on the motherboard is likely to end
    > in disaster.

    If they still can't get it going via your phone instructions, tell them to
    take it to the local starving PC technician advertised in the local Penny
    Saver type rag. should be $50 or so.

    Grappletech, Dec 24, 2006