    instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.

    If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    look into it.

    Mr Bond, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Mr Bond

    Harry Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    > load than it does in low CPU load?

    No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
    will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
    of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
    much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
    Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
    interrupt driven.

    > If so, is it significantly more?
    >
    > My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    > computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    > contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    > instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >
    > If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    > look into it.

    What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
    when their job is done.

    Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
    a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
    ftp download, or whatever.

    Harry, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Mr Bond

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    > load than it does in low CPU load?
    >
    > If so, is it significantly more?

    Yes, power consumption is up by around 50% when heavy number crunching
    is under way. This based on tests I did a few years ago on a 400 MHz
    PII. Only a rough guide as an ordinary DVM was used and power factor and
    waveform harmonics make it hard to get a good reading.

    Roger_Nickel, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Mr Bond wrote:
    > If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    > look into it.

    yeah, it'll use a bit more power.
    as to how much? it depends on the CPU, but I'd imagine that even if it
    used 70watts for the CPU, it'd be using a minimum of 35 when sitting
    idle.(assuming desktop CPUs)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Mr Bond

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:22:16 +1200, Mr Bond <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    >load than it does in low CPU load?

    Yes it does as the CPU gets hotter..

    >If so, is it significantly more?
    >
    >My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    >computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    >contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    >instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >
    >If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    >look into it.

    Dnloading files sould not use much CPU power at all.

    Karen Parker, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Mr Bond

    frederick Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > Mr Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    >> load than it does in low CPU load?

    > No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
    > will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
    > of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
    > much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
    > Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
    > interrupt driven.

    a strange conclusion

    >> If so, is it significantly more?
    >>
    >> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    >> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    >> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    >> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >>
    >> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    >> look into it.

    > What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    > whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    > crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    > whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
    > when their job is done.
    >
    > Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
    > a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
    > ftp download, or whatever.

    Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like you
    might get a surprise.

    frederick, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Mr Bond

    cowboyz Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > Mr Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    >> load than it does in low CPU load?

    > No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off
    > states will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing
    > with lots of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think
    > Windows makes much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would
    > save power. Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as
    > opposed to interrupt driven.
    >

    >> If so, is it significantly more?
    >>
    >> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    >> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    >> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    >> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >>
    >> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    >> look into it.

    > What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    > whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    > crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    > whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will
    > exit when their job is done.
    >
    > Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is
    > just a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an
    > http or ftp download, or whatever.

    Cant' speak for all but Get right and flashget download managers both have a
    "shutdown when finished" switch

    cowboyz, Sep 3, 2004
  8. Mr Bond

    Harry Guest

    frederick wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> Mr Bond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    >>> load than it does in low CPU load?

    >> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
    >> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
    >> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
    >> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
    >> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
    >> interrupt driven.
    >>

    > a strange conclusion
    >>

    >>> If so, is it significantly more?
    >>>
    >>> My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    >>> computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    >>> contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    >>> instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >>>
    >>> If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    >>> look into it.

    >> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    >> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    >> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    >> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
    >> when their job is done.
    >>
    >> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
    >> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
    >> ftp download, or whatever.

    > Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
    > you might get a surprise.

    I just get "Bad command or filename".
    Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    Harry, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Mr Bond

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Harry wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds
    >> like you might get a surprise.

    > I just get "Bad command or filename".
    > Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    No, you should get what I get:

    Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx]
    [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

    No args Display this message (same as -?)
    -i Display GUI interface, must be the first
    option
    -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    -s Shutdown the computer
    -r Shutdown and restart the computer
    -a Abort a system shutdown
    -m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
    -f Forces running applications to close without
    warning
    -d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
    u is the user code
    p is a planned shutdown code
    xx is the major reason code (positive
    integer less than 256)
    yy is the minor reason code (positive
    integer less than 65536)

    Nik Coughin, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Mr Bond

    frederick Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >>> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
    >>> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
    >>> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
    >>> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
    >>> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
    >>> interrupt driven.
    >>>

    >> a strange conclusion

    >>> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    >>> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    >>> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    >>> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
    >>> when their job is done.
    >>>
    >>> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
    >>> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
    >>> ftp download, or whatever.

    >> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
    >> you might get a surprise.
    >>>

    > I just get "Bad command or filename".
    > Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    :)
    No - you are just using an old OS - pre Win 2000.

    frederick, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Mr Bond

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:26:56 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >frederick wrote:
    >
    >> "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >>> No. Basically because the number of semiconductors in on and off states
    >>> will be roughly 50/50. But I suppose if your cpu is dealing with lots
    >>> of binary -1's then the load might differ. I don't think Windows makes
    >>> much use of the hlt and wait instructions which would save power.
    >>> Probably because much of Windows is message orientated as opposed to
    >>> interrupt driven.
    >>>

    >> a strange conclusion

    >>> What you need is a way to turn your computer off when your download or
    >>> whatever has finished. I don't know if such a thing exists, but one
    >>> crude way would be to have a scheduled task that periodically checks
    >>> whether a process is still running - trouble not all processes will exit
    >>> when their job is done.
    >>>
    >>> Another way would be to use Linux. Very easy because "shutdown" is just
    >>> a normal command like any other and it is so easy to script an http or
    >>> ftp download, or whatever.

    >> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
    >> you might get a surprise.
    >>>

    >I just get "Bad command or filename".
    >Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    No, you need to type it correctly, He did say windows command prompt.

    Bret, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Mr Bond

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    > load than it does in low CPU load?
    >
    > If so, is it significantly more?
    >
    > My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    > computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    > contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    > instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >
    > If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    > look into it.

    AFAIK the difference between running at 1% CPU and 100% CPU on your machine
    is roughly the equivalent to running a 40W light bulb. i.e. not a big
    difference.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Mr Bond

    Harry Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:26:56 +1200, Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>frederick wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >>> a strange conclusion

    >>> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds like
    >>> you might get a surprise.
    >>>>

    >>I just get "Bad command or filename".
    >>Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    > No, you need to type it correctly, He did say windows command prompt.

    I can read what he said.
    And I did type it correctly.
    And it was at the Windows command prompt.

    Harry, Sep 3, 2004
  14. Mr Bond

    Harry Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >> frederick wrote:
    >>> Type "shutdown /?" at the windows command prompt Harry - it sounds
    >>> like you might get a surprise.

    >> I just get "Bad command or filename".
    >> Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    > No, you should get what I get:
    >
    > Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx]
    > [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]
    >
    > No args Display this message (same as -?)
    > -i Display GUI interface, must be the first
    > option
    > -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
    > -s Shutdown the computer
    > -r Shutdown and restart the computer
    > -a Abort a system shutdown
    > -m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
    > -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
    > -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127
    > characters)
    > -f Forces running applications to close
    > without
    > warning
    > -d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
    > u is the user code
    > p is a planned shutdown code
    > xx is the major reason code (positive
    > integer less than 256)
    > yy is the minor reason code (positive
    > integer less than 65536)

    Somebody should sue Microsoft because that is a stolen Unix command.
    Where is SCO when you need them?

    Harry, Sep 3, 2004
  15. Harry wrote:
    >>>I just get "Bad command or filename".
    >>>Is that the surprise I am supposed to get?

    >>No, you need to type it correctly, He did say windows command prompt.

    > I can read what he said.
    > And I did type it correctly.
    > And it was at the Windows command prompt.

    try cmd?

    which OS are you using?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 3, 2004
  16. Harry wrote:
    > Somebody should sue Microsoft because that is a stolen Unix command.
    > Where is SCO when you need them?

    standing idle. :)

    heh, with MS in their back pocket :)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 3, 2004
  17. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Mr Bond wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>My question; Does a computer use more power in a state of high CPU
    >>load than it does in low CPU load?
    >>
    >>If so, is it significantly more?
    >>
    >>My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    >>computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    >>contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    >>instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.
    >>
    >>If it would cost me not a lot more in terms of power useage I should
    >>look into it.

    > AFAIK the difference between running at 1% CPU and 100% CPU on your machine
    > is roughly the equivalent to running a 40W light bulb. i.e. not a big
    > difference.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    and on that note. i would say yes, run seti, or prime or whatever you
    like. It makes you feel good when your PC is actually being used while
    its sitting there humming away warming up your house.

    12200 seti units and counting.. .

    late for dinner, Sep 3, 2004
  18. Mr Bond

    colinco Guest

    In article late for dinner says...
    > and on that note. i would say yes, run seti, or prime or whatever you
    > like. It makes you feel good when your PC is actually being used while
    > its sitting there humming away warming up your house.
    >
    > 12200 seti units and counting.. .

    Keep wasting power, I just got another dividend from Contact today.

    colinco, Sep 3, 2004
  19. Mr Bond

    Harry Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>No, you need to type it correctly, He did say windows command prompt.

    >> I can read what he said.
    >> And I did type it correctly.
    >> And it was at the Windows command prompt.

    > try cmd?
    >
    > which OS are you using?

    Windows OS

    Harry, Sep 3, 2004
  20. Mr Bond

    Peter Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > My computer is a AMD 2500XP with 1 gig of DDR. I often leave my
    > computer downloading files overnight and wonder if I should be
    > contributing to society in some way through Seti or something similar
    > instead of the computer constantly running at 1% CPU useage.

    When considering where to put your spare CPU cycles to use, take a look at
    folding.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

    And even check this one out ...
    http://www.hel-razor.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html

    Some people consider this produces more actual benefit to society than seti,
    as folding is researching medical areas. Of course, you should research
    this so you can form your own opinion.

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 3, 2004