    spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    is kept updated.
    TIA, Lynn
    Lynn, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Lynn

    frederick Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    > Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
    > have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
    > etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
    > spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    > is kept updated.
    > TIA, Lynn

    Free-AV (http://www.free-av.com/) has dialer protection. You may need
    to configure it on - not sure if it's enabled or disabled by default.
    Also, with dialers, you might want to check where your kids have been on
    the net to pick them up from. Often, they come disguised as "viewer
    software" for hard core porno sites etc.
    Umm... and you still want to let the kids online?
    If not - pull the modem out and lock it up somewhere safe.
    frederick, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Lynn

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
    > have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable etc
    > to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm, spybot
    > search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME is kept
    > updated.
    > TIA, Lynn

    your running ME thats your 1st problem :p
    krazy Bob, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Lynn wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the
    >> kids have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable ,
    >> disable etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with
    >> zone alarm, spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti
    >> virus. Also ME is kept updated.
    >> TIA, Lynn

    > Free-AV (http://www.free-av.com/) has dialer protection. You may need
    > to configure it on - not sure if it's enabled or disabled by default.
    > Also, with dialers, you might want to check where your kids have been on
    > the net to pick them up from. Often, they come disguised as "viewer
    > software" for hard core porno sites etc.
    > Umm... and you still want to let the kids online?
    > If not - pull the modem out and lock it up somewhere safe.

    Thanks will give the puter a good check over tomorrow. I think Ill be
    disabling their dialup as well. Cheers.
    Lynn, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Lynn

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lynn <> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
    > spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    > is kept updated.

    AVG, mmm
    Try avast.

    Try Trend micro housecall.

    Try NOT using IE

    Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
    tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
    not know about, check advanced mode.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Lynn

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:50:10 +1300, Lynn wrote:

    > Hi, my last phone bill has calls to Latvia in the morning when the kids
    > have been online. Where is the best place to check to enable , disable
    > etc to stop puter from dialing out. Puter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
    > spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    > is kept updated.
    > TIA, Lynn

    Your computer has a dialer program(s); e.g. a trojan, a virus. And likely a
    lot more.

    The fact that an updated ad-aware and spybot find nothing is cause for
    concern; you may have a root-kit. Very nasty.

    1. Get onto telecom, and put a toll-bar on your line. Explain to them why.
    Telecom will not refund your bill after the first time you get infected
    with a dialer. You could be forking out $3000 in phone bills. Believe it,
    it has happened before regularly. Courts are not sympathetic.

    2. Backup your files. Your wanted DATA files. Onto cd. Scan them on a
    friends computer that is know to be ok. Print out your contacts email
    addresses.

    3. wipe your hard drive. Format C: or equivalent. Reinstall.

    4. install protection and keep it up to date.

    5. change the password on your internet account with your ISP. Do NOT 'save
    password' when dialling in. Ever. This way the kids cannot use the net
    without you typing it in. When you do that is up to you.

    Lynn, do not think for a second that if this happens again you will be ok
    and not have to pay. I cannot emphasize this enough. You will be paying.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #142934 +(6095)- [X]

    docsigma2000: jesus christ man
    docsigma2000: my son is sooooooo dead
    c8info: Why?
    docsigma2000: hes been looking at internet web sites in fucking EUROPE
    docsigma2000: HE IS SURFING LONG DISTANCE
    docsigma2000: our fucking phone bill is gonna be nuts
    c8info: Ooh, this is bad. Surfing long distance adds an extra $69.99 to
    your bill per hour.
    docsigma2000: ...!!!!!! **** **** ****
    docsigma2000: is there some plan we can sign up for???
    docsigma2000: cuz theres some cool stuff in europe, but i dun wanna pauy
    that much
    c8info: Sorry, no. There is no plan. you'll have to live with it.
    docsigma2000: o well, i ccan live without europe intenet sites.
    docsigma2000: but till i figure out how to block it hes sooooo dead
    c8info: By the way, I'm from Europe, your chatting long distance.
    ** docsigma2000 has quit (Connection reset by peer)

    Note: All my comments are copyright 26/02/2006 12:58:46 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Feb 25, 2006
  7. On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:37:14 +1300, Lynn wrote:

    > Thanks will give the puter a good check over tomorrow. I think Ill be
    > disabling their dialup as well. Cheers.

    You should also consider installing a better OS than Microsoft Windows.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer-overflow vulnerabilities are simply programming errors; they occur when
    coders fail to deploy proper memory-management techniques.
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 25, 2006

    http://www.tucows.com/preview/329276
    wogers nemesis, Feb 25, 2006
  9. Lynn

    Ross Guest

    On 26 Feb 2006 01:04:11 +1300, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Lynn <> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
    >@news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
    >> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    >> is kept updated.
    >>

    >AVG, mmm
    >Try avast.
    >
    >Try Trend micro housecall.
    >
    >Try NOT using IE
    >
    >Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
    >tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
    >not know about, check advanced mode.

    I second use of a HOSTS file. Search for HOSTS.ZIP. Extract to your
    windows\system folder. (98 or ME).
    You should also install SpywareBlaster 3.5.1

    These BLOCK known baddies, whereas the other tools you mention
    (except ZA) only LOOK for them in your files, perhaps after they have
    done their dirty work.

    Ross
    Ross, Feb 26, 2006
  10. Lynn

    Ross Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:21:34 +1300, Ross <>
    wrote:

    >On 26 Feb 2006 01:04:11 +1300, Dave Taylor
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Lynn <> wrote in news:dTULf.154393$vH5.1358089
    >>@news.xtra.co.nz:
    >>
    >>> uter runs Win ME with zone alarm,
    >>> spybot search and destroy, and adaware and also AVG anti virus. Also ME
    >>> is kept updated.
    >>>

    >>AVG, mmm
    >>Try avast.
    >>
    >>Try Trend micro housecall.
    >>
    >>Try NOT using IE
    >>
    >>Windows Me, well no user lock down features in that so, just keep those
    >>tools up to date and use a hosts file. Spybot may have features you did
    >>not know about, check advanced mode.

    >I second use of a HOSTS file. Search for HOSTS.ZIP. Extract to your
    >windows\system folder. (98 or ME).
    >You should also install SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
    >
    >These BLOCK known baddies, whereas the other tools you mention
    >(except ZA) only LOOK for them in your files, perhaps after they have
    >done their dirty work.
    >
    >Ross

    Whoops, the HOSTS file goes in the Windows folder on 98 and ME
    It goes in Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder on 2K and XP
    Ross, Feb 26, 2006
  11. Lynn

    Reg Guest

    This has been a most informative thread. Because of it I have just installed
    SpywareBlaster.
    With an external router and broadband connection do I still need to install
    DialerSpy as per this link ?

    Reg, Feb 26, 2006
  12. Lynn

    PC Guest

    "Reg" <> wrote in message
    > This has been a most informative thread. Because of it I have just
    > installed SpywareBlaster.
    > With an external router and broadband connection do I still need to
    > install DialerSpy as per this link ?
    >

    >> http://www.tucows.com/preview/329276

    Reg

    "Dialers" use dial up modems to connect to their servers.
    They use the POTS (plain old telephone system) part of the phone line that
    comes into your home/office.
    i.e. they instruct the Dial up modem (internal or external) to 'off hook'
    and tone dial their access number just the same as if you had picked up the
    phone and dialed the same premium rate phone number yourself.
    The cost comes from the automated billing system's telco's have in place for
    dial up calls.

    Broadband routers while connected to the same phone line are 'not' dial up
    modems.
    They utilise the broadband signal that is added to your phone line when you
    sign up for broadband.
    By it's very nature broadband is 'always connected' and there is no
    automated 'call' billing system (well AFAIK)

    Do be aware you can still be caught with Dialers even when you are on
    broadband if you still have a Dial Up Modem connected to your computer,
    connected to the phone line and turned on.
    The simplest solution in this case is to just pull the phone lead out of the
    socket.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Feb 26, 2006
  13. Lynn

    Reg Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Reg" <> wrote in message
    >> This has been a most informative thread. Because of it I have just
    >> installed SpywareBlaster.
    >> With an external router and broadband connection do I still need to
    >> install DialerSpy as per this link ?
    >>

    >>> http://www.tucows.com/preview/329276

    > Reg
    >
    > "Dialers" use dial up modems to connect to their servers.
    > They use the POTS (plain old telephone system) part of the phone line
    > that comes into your home/office.
    > i.e. they instruct the Dial up modem (internal or external) to 'off hook'
    > and tone dial their access number just the same as if you had picked up
    > the phone and dialed the same premium rate phone number yourself.
    > The cost comes from the automated billing system's telco's have in place
    > for dial up calls.
    >
    > Broadband routers while connected to the same phone line are 'not' dial up
    > modems.
    > They utilise the broadband signal that is added to your phone line when
    > you sign up for broadband.
    > By it's very nature broadband is 'always connected' and there is no
    > automated 'call' billing system (well AFAIK)
    >
    > Do be aware you can still be caught with Dialers even when you are on
    > broadband if you still have a Dial Up Modem connected to your computer,
    > connected to the phone line and turned on.
    > The simplest solution in this case is to just pull the phone lead out of
    > the socket.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul for that clear explanation.
    Reg
    Reg, Feb 26, 2006
  14. Lynn

    SchoolTech Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:37:14 +1300, Lynn wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks will give the puter a good check over tomorrow. I think Ill be
    >> disabling their dialup as well. Cheers.

    > You should also consider installing a better OS than Microsoft Windows.

    A better OS than Windows ME is Windows XP.
    SchoolTech, Feb 28, 2006
  15. On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:05:05 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:

    >> You should also consider installing a better OS than Microsoft Windows.

    > A better OS than Windows ME is Windows XP.

    That's still Micro$oft virusware.

    XP - the "most secure version of Windows ever" which had a "critical"
    security hole discovered only a week after it was released.

    Choose Linux or Unix if you want a secure, stable, mature OS.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to Linux, and
    it does all the things that they want."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 28, 2006
  16. Lynn

    SchoolTech Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:05:05 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:
    >
    >>> You should also consider installing a better OS than Microsoft Windows.

    >> A better OS than Windows ME is Windows XP.

    > That's still Micro$oft virusware.

    No, it's an operating system. Has nothing to do with viruses.

    > XP - the "most secure version of Windows ever" which had a "critical"
    > security hole discovered only a week after it was released.

    There are holes in every OS on the market.
    SchoolTech, Mar 15, 2006
  17. Lynn

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "SchoolTech" <> wrote in message
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    >>> A better OS than Windows ME is Windows XP.

    >> That's still Micro$oft virusware.

    > No, it's an operating system. Has nothing to do with viruses.
    >

    >> XP - the "most secure version of Windows ever" which had a "critical"
    >> security hole discovered only a week after it was released.

    > There are holes in every OS on the market.

    There weren't any when XP was first released. There will be big claims
    about Vista, but even MS own claims about how great Vista is won't stop MS
    from releasing a much better 64bit OS that will cover most of the problems
    that crop up in Vista.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 15, 2006