Computer only recognizes 2 HD's, not 1 (on the same channel)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adam Steiner, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Hey,

    I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD 2000JB
    (200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan was registering
    the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max operating temp is 55, so
    I figured why take chances and decided to unplug my 200GB drive until I
    could get a new fan.

    Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the primary
    channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to Master (or
    'primary' for those folks who get offended) and the 200GB set to slave.
    Unplugged the 200GB and the 120 wasn't recognized.

    So I plugged the 200 back in and have it placed elsewhere in my case so both
    drives will get sufficient airflow until I get a new fan. Everything worked
    fine.

    Any idea why this happend? The PC originally only had the 120, I added the
    200 later. I have an Intel D845PESV motherboard with BIOS A09

    Thanks,

    Adam
    Adam Steiner, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Adam Steiner

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD 2000JB
    > (200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan was registering
    > the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max operating temp is 55, so
    > I figured why take chances and decided to unplug my 200GB drive until I
    > could get a new fan.
    >
    > Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the primary
    > channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to Master (or
    > 'primary' for those folks who get offended) and the 200GB set to slave.
    > Unplugged the 200GB and the 120 wasn't recognized.
    >
    > So I plugged the 200 back in and have it placed elsewhere in my case so both
    > drives will get sufficient airflow until I get a new fan. Everything worked
    > fine.
    >
    > Any idea why this happend? The PC originally only had the 120, I added the
    > 200 later. I have an Intel D845PESV motherboard with BIOS A09
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adam

    Were the jumpers set correctly?
    Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there are
    different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave present)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Adam Steiner wrote:
    >
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD 2000JB
    > > (200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan was

    registering
    > > the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max operating temp is

    55, so
    > > I figured why take chances and decided to unplug my 200GB drive until I
    > > could get a new fan.
    > >
    > > Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the

    primary
    > > channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to Master (or
    > > 'primary' for those folks who get offended) and the 200GB set to slave.
    > > Unplugged the 200GB and the 120 wasn't recognized.
    > >
    > > So I plugged the 200 back in and have it placed elsewhere in my case so

    both
    > > drives will get sufficient airflow until I get a new fan. Everything

    worked
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > Any idea why this happend? The PC originally only had the 120, I added

    the
    > > 200 later. I have an Intel D845PESV motherboard with BIOS A09
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Adam
    > >

    > Were the jumpers set correctly?
    > Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there are
    > different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave

    present)

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    Looks like that was it. I don't remember changing the jumpers when I first
    installed my second drive. I also didn't know that WD had seperate settings
    for master with and without slave.

    Thanks.

    Adam
    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Adam Steiner

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message

    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > > Adam Steiner wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hey,
    > > >
    > > > I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD

    2000JB
    > > > (200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan was

    > registering
    > > > the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max operating temp is

    > 55, so
    > > > I figured why take chances and decided to unplug my 200GB drive until

    > > > could get a new fan.
    > > >
    > > > Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the

    > primary
    > > > channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to Master

    (or
    > > > 'primary' for those folks who get offended) and the 200GB set to

    slave.
    > > > Unplugged the 200GB and the 120 wasn't recognized.
    > > >
    > > > So I plugged the 200 back in and have it placed elsewhere in my case

    so
    > both
    > > > drives will get sufficient airflow until I get a new fan. Everything

    > worked
    > > > fine.
    > > >
    > > > Any idea why this happend? The PC originally only had the 120, I

    added
    > the
    > > > 200 later. I have an Intel D845PESV motherboard with BIOS A09
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Adam
    > > >

    > > Were the jumpers set correctly?
    > > Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there are
    > > different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave

    > present)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cheers
    > > Oldus Fartus
    > >

    > Looks like that was it. I don't remember changing the jumpers when I

    first
    > installed my second drive. I also didn't know that WD had seperate

    settings
    > for master with and without slave.

    CS always works for me.
    Michael-NC, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Adam Steiner

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    > 2000JB

    > > registering

    is
    > > 55, so

    until

    > > primary

    > (or

    > slave.

    > so
    > > both

    Everything
    > > worked

    > added
    > > the

    > > > Were the jumpers set correctly?
    > > > Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there

    are
    > > > different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave

    > > present)
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Cheers
    > > > Oldus Fartus
    > > >

    > > Looks like that was it. I don't remember changing the jumpers when I

    > first
    > > installed my second drive. I also didn't know that WD had seperate

    > settings
    > > for master with and without slave.

    > CS always works for me.

    I usually use that too. I'm not sure why I didn't in this instance.
    Adam Steiner, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Adam Steiner

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Adam Steiner wrote:

    > "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    snipped

    >>Were the jumpers set correctly?
    >>Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there are
    >>different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave

    > present)
    >

    > Looks like that was it. I don't remember changing the jumpers when I first
    > installed my second drive. I also didn't know that WD had seperate settings
    > for master with and without slave.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Adam

    No worries Adam, glad you got it sorted.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Adam Steiner

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 06:07:17 GMT, "Adam Steiner" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD 2000JB
    >(200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan was registering
    >the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max operating temp is 55, so
    >I figured why take chances and decided to unplug my 200GB drive until I
    >could get a new fan.
    >
    >Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the primary
    >channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to Master (or
    >'primary' for those folks who get offended)

    'Primary' has its own meaning...so don't start usin' 'primary' when
    you really mean 'master'.

    If you disconnect one of the drives, you need to change the jumper
    setting on the other drive.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !
    Trent©, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Michael-NC wrote:

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message

    > 2000JB

    >>registering

    >>55, so

    >>primary

    > (or

    > slave.

    > so
    >
    >>both

    >>worked

    > added
    >
    >>the

    >>>Were the jumpers set correctly?
    >>>Looking at http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp there are
    >>>different jumper settings for a master (no slave) and master (slave

    >>present)
    >>
    >>>--
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Oldus Fartus
    >>>

    >>Looks like that was it. I don't remember changing the jumpers when I

    > first
    >
    >>installed my second drive. I also didn't know that WD had seperate

    > settings
    >
    >>for master with and without slave.

    > CS always works for me.

    I ran across a statement recently that I haven't been able to verify.
    The statement (can't find the source again either) is that some drives
    only work at ATA33 when jumpered as master/slave-that you need to jumper
    them as CS to support higher speeds. Any knowledge about that? (Wish I'd
    noted where I ran across that-but I didn't think it'd be too hard to
    verify and that turned out to be wrong.)
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Adam Steiner

    Thor Guest

    > I ran across a statement recently that I haven't been able to verify.
    > The statement (can't find the source again either) is that some drives
    > only work at ATA33 when jumpered as master/slave-that you need to jumper
    > them as CS to support higher speeds. Any knowledge about that? (Wish I'd
    > noted where I ran across that-but I didn't think it'd be too hard to
    > verify and that turned out to be wrong.)

    Never heard of such a thing. I seriously doubt it's factual.
    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  10. Thor wrote:

    >>I ran across a statement recently that I haven't been able to verify.
    >>The statement (can't find the source again either) is that some drives
    >>only work at ATA33 when jumpered as master/slave-that you need to jumper
    >>them as CS to support higher speeds. Any knowledge about that? (Wish I'd
    >>noted where I ran across that-but I didn't think it'd be too hard to
    >>verify and that turned out to be wrong.)

    > Never heard of such a thing. I seriously doubt it's factual.

    Thanks. Wish I could remember where I found it-seems to me that it was
    on a manufacturer's web site but I certainly won't swear to it.
    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 2, 2003
  11. Adam Steiner

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:52:37 -0900, Calvin Crumrine
    <> wrote:

    >I ran across a statement recently that I haven't been able to verify.
    >The statement (can't find the source again either) is that some drives
    >only work at ATA33 when jumpered as master/slave-that you need to jumper
    >them as CS to support higher speeds. Any knowledge about that? (Wish I'd
    >noted where I ran across that-but I didn't think it'd be too hard to
    >verify and that turned out to be wrong.)

    This has gotta be incorrect...especially since the drives can be
    toggled out of 33, etc. by using software.

    Trent©, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Adam Steiner

    Grump Guest

    >> I have two drives in my PC, a WD 1200JB (120GB 8MB cache) and WD
    >> 2000JB (200GB 8MB cache). One of my case fans died and Speedfan
    >> was registering the 200GB getting to 50 degrees C. WD says the max
    >> operating temp is 55, so I figured why take chances and decided to
    >> unplug my 200GB drive until I could get a new fan.
    >>
    >> Funny thing happend. The computer wouldnt recognize anything on the
    >> primary channel when only one drive was plugged in. It was set to
    >> Master (or 'primary' for those folks who get offended)

    > 'Primary' has its own meaning...so don't start usin' 'primary' when
    > you really mean 'master'.
    >
    > If you disconnect one of the drives, you need to change the jumper
    > setting on the other drive.

    Having both my drives on CS. Am able to unplug the second (cabled as slave)
    drive without problems.
    Grump.
    Grump, Dec 4, 2003