    intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.

    was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4
    and i think that may be when this started happening...?

    cgimofo, Apr 2, 2008

  2. cgimofo

    impossible Guest

    "cgimofo" <> wrote in message
    news:fsugeq$opq$...
    > got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it doesn't
    > boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not intermittant, it
    > happens every time its been off for a while. when it doesn't boot it
    > gets power, but there's the screen is dead & the hard drives don't tick
    > over. stuffed mobo or psu?
    >
    > intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
    >
    > was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4 and
    > i think that may be when this started happening...?

    Does your machine otherwise run fine once you've booted up? I'd restore all
    the default bios settings first so you have a known baseline to work from.
    Still seeing the boot problem? Then consult your motherboard vendor --
    especially the online forums they typically run. This may be a known fault,
    and there may already be a fix for it.

    impossible, Apr 2, 2008

  3. In article <>, thingy <> wrote:
    >cgimofo wrote:
    >> got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it
    >> doesn't boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not
    >> intermittant, it happens every time its been off for a while. when it
    >> doesn't boot it gets power, but there's the screen is dead & the hard
    >> drives don't tick over. stuffed mobo or psu?

    >Suspect the PSU myself.
    >
    >> intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
    >>
    >> was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to 2.4
    >> and i think that may be when this started happening...?

    ... might be worth replacing the on board battery ?
    Is the puter 3 ish years old maybe ? I know mine did odd things for a while
    until the battery was replaced.

    Good luck.

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 2, 2008
  4. cgimofo

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bruce Sinclair" typed:
    > In article <>, thingy
    > <> wrote:
    >> cgimofo wrote:
    >>> got a scary problem with my pc, after its been off for a while it
    >>> doesn't boot on the first attempt, only the second. this is not
    >>> intermittant, it happens every time its been off for a while. when
    >>> it doesn't boot it gets power, but there's the screen is dead &
    >>> the hard drives don't tick over. stuffed mobo or psu?

    >> Suspect the PSU myself.
    >>
    >>> intel 6600 core2duo, 2.4GHz, 2x2GB ram, 7950GT, dell 24" LCD.
    >>>
    >>> was actually OC'd to 3GHz for a while, but just reduced it back to
    >>> 2.4 and i think that may be when this started happening...?

    > .. might be worth replacing the on board battery ?
    > Is the puter 3 ish years old maybe ? I know mine did odd things for a
    > while until the battery was replaced.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I'll second the battery thing. Cheap and easy to try. I was going to suggest
    it as a first step but then saw Bruce beat me to it. :)

    Most likely to be a CR2032, availble most everywhere that sells batteries.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 2, 2008
  5. cgimofo

    cgimofo Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Does your machine otherwise run fine once you've booted up? I'd restore all
    > the default bios settings first so you have a known baseline to work from.
    > Still seeing the boot problem? Then consult your motherboard vendor --
    > especially the online forums they typically run. This may be a known fault,
    > and there may already be a fix for it.

    resetting to bios defaults seems to have sorted it... i must have
    forgotten to change something back when reverting the OC lol....

    thanks :)

    cgimofo, Apr 2, 2008