    possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
    off of the new HD.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    lucky33, Apr 7, 2007

  2. lucky33

    Gazwad Guest

    lucky33 <>, the dowdy-shopping-bag-man and
    obtrusive peanut popper who likes illicit meat beating with xenopus, and
    whose partner is a woman of accomodating morals with a slimy muffhole,
    wrote in <>:
    >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
    > a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
    > would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
    > both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
    > installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
    > short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
    > it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
    > to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
    > possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
    > off of the new HD.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Remove all cables from both hard drives.
    check to see if the system boots reliably and consistently.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Gazwad, Apr 7, 2007

  3. lucky33

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <> wrote:

    >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
    >a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
    >would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
    >both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
    >installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
    >short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
    >it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
    >to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
    >possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
    >off of the new HD.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Re-seat all memory and cards.
    It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

    Shel-hed, Apr 8, 2007
  4. lucky33

    lucky33 Guest

    On Apr 7, 4:43 pm, Shel-hed <> wrote:
    > On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
    > >a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
    > >would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
    > >both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
    > >installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
    > >short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
    > >it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
    > >to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
    > >possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
    > >off of the new HD.

    > >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    > Re-seat all memory and cards.
    > It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

    Guy at the computer store told me the EID port on the motherboard was
    probably going bad. Looking at buying a GX150 barebone of ebay for
    less than new motherboard.

    lucky33, Apr 8, 2007
  5. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On 7 Apr 2007 17:06:41 -0700, "lucky33" <> wrote:

    >On Apr 7, 4:43 pm, Shel-hed <> wrote:
    >> On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
    >> >a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
    >> >would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
    >> >both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
    >> >installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
    >> >short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
    >> >it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
    >> >to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
    >> >possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
    >> >off of the new HD.

    >> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >> Re-seat all memory and cards.
    >> It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

    >Guy at the computer store told me the EID port on the motherboard was
    >probably going bad. Looking at buying a GX150 barebone of ebay for
    >less than new motherboard.

    I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
    this, although I'd try a different ribbon and molex connector first before I
    bought a new PS. And make sure, if you're running two hard drives on the same
    cable, that they're jumpered correctly.

    --
    <AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
    fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  6. lucky33

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <> wrote:

    >I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
    >this,

    When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.

    bad ports bad ports
    Whatcha gonna do...
    Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    Bad ports...

    Shel-hed, Apr 8, 2007
  7. lucky33

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:42:46 -0600, Mara <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:
    >
    >>When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
    >>
    >>bad ports bad ports
    >>Whatcha gonna do...
    >>Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    >>Bad ports...

    >See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
    >the edge eventually.

    Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we speak!

    Shel-hed, Apr 8, 2007
  8. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <> wrote:
    >
    >>I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
    >>this,

    >When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
    >
    >bad ports bad ports
    >Whatcha gonna do...
    >Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    >Bad ports...

    See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
    the edge eventually.

    --
    You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
    You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  9. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:44 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:42:46 -0600, Mara <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
    >>>
    >>>bad ports bad ports
    >>>Whatcha gonna do...
    >>>Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    >>>Bad ports...

    >>See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
    >>the edge eventually.

    >Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we speak!

    You can't do that. That's vince's job.

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  10. On 2007-04-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mara waxed eloquently:
    snip

    > See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
    > the edge eventually.

    Hell, he's been over the edge for a loooong time...

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I never pray before meals -- my wife's a good cook.

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 8, 2007
  11. On 2007-04-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Shel-hed waxed eloquently:
    > On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <> wrote:
    >
    >>I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
    >>this,

    > When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
    >
    > bad ports bad ports
    > Whatcha gonna do...
    > Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    > Bad ports...

    <Groan> Go to your room! Now!

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    I never pray before meals -- my mom's a good cook.

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 8, 2007
  12. On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:36:55 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:44 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:42:46 -0600, Mara <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you
    >>>over the edge eventually.

    >>Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we
    >>speak!

    > You can't do that. That's vince's job.

    Um, now you mention it....Vince hasn't been around for a long time. Say,
    you don't suppose she's cooking *him*, do ya?

    William Poaster, Apr 8, 2007
  13. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 05:59:18 -0500, The Old Sourdough <> wrote:

    >On 2007-04-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mara waxed eloquently:
    >snip
    >

    >> See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
    >> the edge eventually.
    >>

    >Hell, he's been over the edge for a loooong time...

    Yes. But now, I've got that stupid song stuck in my head.

    Grrrrrrrrrf!

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  14. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 06:01:45 -0500, The Old Sourdough <> wrote:

    >On 2007-04-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Shel-hed waxed eloquently:
    >> On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
    >>>this,

    >> When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
    >>
    >> bad ports bad ports
    >> Whatcha gonna do...
    >> Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
    >> Bad ports...
    >>

    ><Groan> Go to your room! Now!

    Thank you. That was just awful. It reminded me of...of....

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  15. lucky33

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:11:23 +0100, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:36:55 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:44 GMT, Shel-hed <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >>>Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we
    >>>speak!

    >> You can't do that. That's vince's job.

    >Um, now you mention it....Vince hasn't been around for a long time. Say,
    >you don't suppose she's cooking *him*, do ya?

    Not likely, with her being stewed and all....

    Mara, Apr 8, 2007
  16. On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 07:59:26 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:11:23 +0100, William Poaster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 22:36:55 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:44 GMT, Shel-hed <>
    >>> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> You can't do that. That's vince's job.

    >>Um, now you mention it....Vince hasn't been around for a long time. Say,
    >>you don't suppose she's cooking *him*, do ya?

    > Not likely, with her being stewed and all....

    The only way to cook. I recall The Galloping Gourmet, & he was always
    stewed!

    William Poaster, Apr 8, 2007