Computer not booting. pls help

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jay, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    My computer will not boot and noting comes up on the screen.

    When I power on the computer, this is what happens:
    1. The lights on the keyboard flicker once but do not come back again.
    2. The light on the pc is on and green.
    3. The light on the monitor flickers at a slow slowly - it is green.
    4. The CD-Rom has power - just fine.
    5. The fan on the power supply at the back of the pc is running.
    6. The HD seems to be spinning.
    7. There is no beep sound (the type that usually comes when no
    keyboard is connected).

    Since nothing comes on the screen, it is a problem before the OS is
    loaded. I checked the power cable to the Motherboard, tried a
    different monitor. But, since it i a pre-boot problem I am stuck. How
    do I know if the Mother board is getting power or if the system bios
    is okay or the processor is working fine? Please guide as to how could
    troubleshoot this problem further?

    Thanks.
    Jay, Mar 26, 2007

  2. Jay

    Neil Green Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > My computer will not boot and noting comes up on the
    > screen.
    >
    > When I power on the computer, this is what happens:
    > 1. The lights on the keyboard flicker once but do
    > not come back again.
    > 2. The light on the pc is on and green.
    > 3. The light on the monitor flickers at a slow
    > slowly - it is green.
    > 4. The CD-Rom has power - just fine.
    > 5. The fan on the power supply at the back of the pc
    > is running.
    > 6. The HD seems to be spinning.
    > 7. There is no beep sound (the type that usually
    > comes when no
    > keyboard is connected).
    >
    > Since nothing comes on the screen, it is a problem
    > before the OS is
    > loaded. I checked the power cable to the
    > Motherboard, tried a
    > different monitor. But, since it i a pre-boot
    > problem I am stuck. How
    > do I know if the Mother board is getting power or if
    > the system bios
    > is okay or the processor is working fine? Please
    > guide as to how could
    > troubleshoot this problem further?
    >
    > Thanks.

    What sort of system, how old etc?
    Neil Green, Mar 26, 2007

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    This is a two year old HP computer with Windows XP and most othe
    standard stuff.
    Jay, Mar 26, 2007
  4. Jay

    Neil Green Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > This is a two year old HP computer with Windows XP
    > and most othe
    > standard stuff.

    Try pulling the motherboard battery, leave it out for
    ten minutes, then put it back in.
    While you've got it out remove and reseat the RAM and
    video card, and check that all the cables to the
    drives are well seated and tight..
    Neil Green, Mar 27, 2007