    question is the power supply going bad or is it something else. I am running
    XP Pro lots of mem and Lg HD.Any help appreciated as I do not know what to
    do,Thanks

    Dog, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Dog

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would try another power supply to start with. It is also possible that
    there is a card or even the mother board that is failing. You would have to
    use the process of elimination to fix this.

    Just recently, I had a machine that was not starting up all the time. It
    ended up being the mother board that had to be replaced. But, this is rare.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "Dog" <> wrote in message
    When I press the start button on my comp it just powers up for about 5/6
    seconds then shuts down and I have to turn off and on the main power switch
    at the back of comp sometimes up to 6/7 times before it stays on. My

    Jerry G., Jun 21, 2004

  3. Dog

    ric Guest

    Dog wrote:

    > When I press the start button on my comp it just powers up for about 5/6
    > seconds then shuts down and I have to turn off and on the main power switch
    > at the back of comp sometimes up to 6/7 times before it stays on. My
    > question is the power supply going bad or is it something else. I am running
    > XP Pro lots of mem and Lg HD.Any help appreciated as I do not know what to
    > do,Thanks

    When your system fails to start, what is the voltage on pin 9? If it is
    less than 4.75v, either a) the logic on your motherboard is shorting
    b) your +5vsb is under powered, or c) your PS is bad. It is
    most likely a combination of b) and c).

    If your +5vsb is OK, measure pin 14 of the PS/MB connector. If it is <0.8v
    (and the +5vsb is OK), the power supply should be on. If pin 14 is <0.8v,
    the +5vsb is OK, and the PS is OFF, the PS is bad. If pin 14 is >2.0v, the
    power supply is being told to stay OFF by the MB. If depressing the front
    panel ON/OFF switch does NOT lower pin 14 to <0.8v (and the +5vsb is OK),
    then the problem is NOT the power supply, but rather MB related.

    ric, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Dog

    soxtsq Guest

    Good, gotta to print this out for future reference!

    soxtsq, Jun 23, 2004