Computer NIC killing ports on my cisco 2950...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jazz, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Jazz

    Jazz Guest

    I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
    of something like this I have ever come across...

    In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
    the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
    yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.

    A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
    that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
    connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
    work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.

    Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
    more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
    switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it
    with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
    question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
    I assume.

    Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
    switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.

    Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
    cabling?

    Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
    helpful.
    thanks in advance!
    Jazz Mann
    Jazz, Aug 29, 2006

  2. Jazz

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:49:30 -0700, Jazz Has Frothed:

    > I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first of
    > something like this I have ever come across...
    >
    > In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
    > the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so yeah,
    > it can be done... I got it working and all was well.
    >
    > A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned that
    > she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network connection. I
    > fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only work if I put
    > the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.
    >
    > Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some more
    > and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he switch
    > (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it with other
    > cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in question in the
    > ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port I assume.
    >
    > Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
    > switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
    >
    > Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
    > cabling?
    >
    > Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
    > helpful.
    > thanks in advance!
    > Jazz Mann

    Call a CAT5 installer and have them put an analyzer on the drop. If it's
    got problems fix it. If not replace the nic.

    Meat Plow, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Jazz

    why? Guest

    On 29 Aug 2006 08:49:30 -0700, Jazz wrote:

    >I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
    >of something like this I have ever come across...
    >
    >In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
    >the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
    >yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.

    Just as helpful as www.google.com, www.cisco.com for Cisco products.

    Troubleshooting Cisco Catalyst Switches to NIC Compatibility Issues

    http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_tech_notes_list.html
    Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches
    Troubleshooting TechNotes

    http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/products/...stallation_guide_chapter09186a00801cd6d7.html
    LED indicators, fault finding.

    >A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
    >that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
    >connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
    >work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.

    So the settings at the PC NIC end are manual / auto set to what speed &
    duplex? They match the switch port or not?

    After the fault, on the 2950 the output of (depends on IOS)

    show int status

    show int <type> <interface>

    Is the show int, clocking up FCS, collisions?

    sh cont e <type> <interface>

    sh int status err

    sh int count err

    >Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
    >more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
    >switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it

    Then the show int status says, connected / not connected?

    >with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
    >question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
    >I assume.

    If you do a conf t for

    inf <portname>
    no shut

    What happens?

    If port status is logged, show log at the times it was connected failed
    show anything, beyond up/down link / line protocol.

    >Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
    >switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
    >
    >Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
    >cabling?

    Maybe, getting the cabling tested is easy.

    >Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
    >helpful.
    >thanks in advance!
    >Jazz Mann

    Me
    why?, Aug 29, 2006
  4. Jazz

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I have been in the IT industry for about 7 years and this is the first
    > of something like this I have ever come across...
    >
    > In our library at work the librarian wanted an extra computer set up on
    > the network for her assistant. There was a CAT5 drop in that room so
    > yeah, it can be done... I got it working and all was well.
    >
    > A few days later (before anyone had even used it once) she mentioned
    > that she tried to log on that day and was unable to get a network
    > connection. I fiddle with the duplex speed and found that it would only
    > work if I put the NIC on 10mps half duplex... all was, again, well.
    >
    > Next day it isnt getting on the network. After fooling with it some
    > more and noticing that NONE of the duplex speeds work, I go tot he
    > switch (cisco 2950) and note that the port light is not on. I test it
    > with other cables and it doesnt work either. I plug the computer in
    > question in the ONLY empty port and it lights up, all is well. bad port
    > I assume.
    >
    > Now, here we are a day later and it doesnt work again. I looked at the
    > switch. Now the one extra port that worked yesterday is dead as well.
    >
    > Is it possible somehow for a NIC to be frying ports? Or could it be the
    > cabling?
    >
    > Kind of a broad question I know, but any ideas or theories would be
    > helpful.

    Several things:

    1) You ran the new cable to close to electrical wires and the new cable
    is picking up voltage from the AC lines and killing the switch.

    2) You didn't test the new cable and have created a ground-loop between
    the computer and the port on the CISCO?

    3) Run a new cable, making sure to keep it at least 1 foot away from AC
    lines, and try it again.

    4) Replace the NIC in the PC, a cheap $10 would do.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Aug 29, 2006