Computer Name to IPAdress probs on Home Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MickyMick, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. MickyMick

    MickyMick Guest

    I am attempting to setup a wireless network using 2 Win XP Home (SP2)
    laptops and a Belkin wireless router.

    PC1 is known as MGRLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.2, it also
    has a printer attached to it.
    PC2 is known as PCBLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.4
    The router has an IP address of 192.168.2.1

    The PC's belong to workgroup MRHOME.

    My problem is that i can view the shared folders on both laptops and
    use PC1's printer without any problems if i enter the IP address in
    windows explorers address bar but when trying to use the PC's name
    i.e. MGRLap1 i cannot do so unless i add it the 'hosts' file under c:
    \windows\system32\etc\hosts. I have set up the router to have its
    'DHCP Server' function enabled. I am under the assumption that this
    means that i could have a different ipaddress for each laptop each
    time it connects and thus using the hosts file is not advised as it
    should only be used for static IP addresses. if this assumption is
    correct how do i access each laptop using it's computer name, is this
    achievable using a wireless DHCP home network?

    In addition, using the netview command with the computer name returns:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\PCBLap1
    System error 53 has occurred.

    The network path was not found.

    although with the ipaddress it returns:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\192.168.2.4
    Shared resources at \\192.168.2.4

    Pauls New Toy

    Share name Type Used as Comment

    Documents Disk
    MR Shared on PCBLap1 Disk
    Printer Print EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series
    Printer2 Print Epson Stylus COLOR 640 ESC/P 2
    The command completed successfully.

    I look forward to any help that can be given,
    cheers,
    Mick

    MickyMick, Jun 13, 2007

  2. MickyMick

    Chuck Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:49:12 -0700, MickyMick <> wrote:

    >I am attempting to setup a wireless network using 2 Win XP Home (SP2)
    >laptops and a Belkin wireless router.
    >
    >PC1 is known as MGRLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.2, it also
    >has a printer attached to it.
    >PC2 is known as PCBLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.4
    >The router has an IP address of 192.168.2.1
    >
    >The PC's belong to workgroup MRHOME.
    >

    >My problem is that i can view the shared folders on both laptops and
    >use PC1's printer without any problems if i enter the IP address in
    >windows explorers address bar but when trying to use the PC's name
    >i.e. MGRLap1 i cannot do so unless i add it the 'hosts' file under c:
    >\windows\system32\etc\hosts. I have set up the router to have its
    >'DHCP Server' function enabled. I am under the assumption that this
    >means that i could have a different ipaddress for each laptop each
    >time it connects and thus using the hosts file is not advised as it
    >should only be used for static IP addresses. if this assumption is
    >correct how do i access each laptop using it's computer name, is this
    >achievable using a wireless DHCP home network?
    >
    >In addition, using the netview command with the computer name returns:
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\PCBLap1
    >System error 53 has occurred.
    >
    >The network path was not found.
    >
    >although with the ipaddress it returns:
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\192.168.2.4
    >Shared resources at \\192.168.2.4
    >
    >Pauls New Toy
    >
    >Share name Type Used as Comment

    >Documents Disk
    >MR Shared on PCBLap1 Disk
    >Printer Print EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series
    >Printer2 Print Epson Stylus COLOR 640 ESC/P 2
    >The command completed successfully.
    >
    >I look forward to any help that can be given,
    >cheers,
    >Mick

    Mick,

    Most DHCP servers will assign a given IP address to a given MAC address,
    persistently. Some you can even set to manually assign a given IP address to a
    specific MAC address. But dynamic or fixed, you have to have name resolution
    working for you to reference a computer by name.

    Look at IP Configurations of the computers.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html

    And look at NetBT settings, and personal firewalls.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

    If you're going to manually address each computer using a local file on each,
    using LMHosts is a better choice than Hosts.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/local-name-and-address-resolution-on.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/local-name-and-address-resolution-on.html

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jun 13, 2007

  3. Hi
    A good way to avoid some of thses trepadtion is to map the computers Drive.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing#map
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 13, 2007