    (because I'll need access to the university system in the future)?

    Thanks,

    pjs

    =?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=, Sep 30, 2007

  2. Sounds like name resolution issue. Have enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Also you
    should not keep change the workgroup/domain name. These links may help,

    Name ResolutionThe ping command uses Windows Sockets-style name resolution
    to resolve a computer name to an IP address, so if pinging by address
    succeeds, but pinging by ...
    www.chicagotech.net/nameresolution.htm

    workgroup networking faqs
    You should be able to logon the domain at work and home, and the
    laptop can access the workgroup resources too. 2) logon domain user on the
    domain laptop ...
    www.chicagotech.net/workgroupnet.htm

    Domain FAQs
    Domain or Workgroup Name is gray out How configure TCP/IP to
    access to different networks How to access different domain without changing
    the network ...
    www.chicagotech.net/domainfaqs.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L \(MS-MVP\), Sep 30, 2007

  3. Robert --

    Thanks for the answer, but it's a bit over my head. I'm at the level of
    wondering if I need to re-run the wireless networking wizard or something
    simple like that.

    pjs

    =?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=, Oct 1, 2007
  4. pjs,

    Did you change the 'computer name'? Or was it the 'domain name'? Or the
    'Workgroup name'? You should never have to change your Computer Name to log
    on to any network, though the admin's of the network may need to know what
    the name of your computer is.

    I found a link to a bit of shareware software that may assist you in moving
    from your school network to your home network...

    http://www.netswitcher.com/

    The also make a freeware utility called NetStumbler that is supposed to do
    the same thing, but with limitations. Good luck in your search for an
    answer.

    Bruce W. Darby, Oct 1, 2007
  5. Bruce --

    The only thing I changed was teh Computer Name. Domain and Workgroup names
    were unchanged. When I requested access to the university network, I got a
    message saying the name "Notebook" was already in use, and I needed a unique
    computer name. Ergo the switch.

    I figured this would be easier to fix than I'm finding itr to be.

    pjs

    =?Utf-8?B?cGpz?=, Oct 1, 2007
  6. pjs,

    How did you originally join the laptop wirelessly to the home network? Did
    you use the Network Setup Wizard? Or did you use the Wireless Network Setup
    Wizard? If you used the Wireless Network Setup Wizard, did you elect to save
    your Wizard settings to a diskette or a USB drive? I would connect to the
    network at home, then insert the diskette or USB drive and elect to rejoin
    the home network. This should cause the Wireless Network Setup Wizard to
    rewrite the information for your computer so that you can properly connect
    to your home network and should be all that is required.

    Bruce

    Bruce W. Darby, Oct 2, 2007