Computer / modem suddenly wont detect dial tone

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jcfox1992@yahoo.com, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am having a severe problem with my modem being able to recognize a
    dial tone
    I have been trying to fix this for >10 hours and at this point am
    really frustrated...
    Here is the story -
    Last weekend, the modem got unplugged. This should be no big deal since
    we live in an
    area that looses power frequently....
    We tried to connect to the internet before realizing the modem was
    unplugged, and recieved
    an error. The modem was plugged back in, and it said "there is no dial
    tone detected,
    please check to make sure that the modem is connected correctly"

    >From there I have tried everything I can think of

    * uninstalled the modem, and reinstalled it with the original drivers
    * Checked to make sure that the phone line was connected correctly
    I am able to connect through the same phone line with a laptop
    computer running windows xp with an internal modem.
    * Unchecked the wait for dial tone box
    * Forced dialed with the AT X0 command. I have also used the init
    settings
    of xxx, x3, ,,,, and several others. I can get the computer to dial
    without detecting a dial tone first, but it wont connect even when
    dialing
    * Ensured that I have no port errors
    * Tried both com1 and com2 mutliple times
    * Uninstalled and reinstalled DUN
    * tried a different modem
    * Used hyperterm to try to dial - same problem, no dialtone. I can
    force dial,
    but get no connect
    * tried both jacks on the back of both modems
    * checked to make sure that my cables are in good working condition,
    and replaced them
    * reinstalled the winsock.dll files
    * chekced to make sure there where no communication programs running
    * no port conflicts
    * verified my TCP/IP settings
    * I have client for mircrosoft networks, microsoft family logon, dial
    up adapter,
    and TCP/IP in the network configuration

    It is a windows 98 computer, with an external modem. The two modems I
    have tried are
    US robotics 36.6 and a CNet v.90 56k externally connected through a
    serial cable.

    In the modems control panel, I am able to run the diagnostics on the us
    robotics modem
    and get no errors, eith the CNet modem, it tries to run the
    diagnositcs, and states that
    there is no dial tone. I can see that the computer is communicating
    with the modem, as
    the lights turn on, and blink.

    I always get the error, "there is no dialtone or your modem is not
    connected correctly"

    I had this same problem last august, and spent many days trying to
    correct it. I remember
    that once I got it working it was a computer problem, and not a modem
    problem.
    I don't remember for the life of me what I did to get it working,
    (teaches me not to
    write these things down!) At that point I thought that it was a broken
    modem, purchased
    a new one, and had trouble with the new one. Once I got it working, I
    remember thinking,
    that it wasn't a broken modem, that the old one would still work, and
    maybe I should return
    the new one....

    For the life of me I can't figure this out...

    Please help if you can

    Julia

    , Sep 11, 2005

  2. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>I am having a severe problem with my modem being able to recognize a
    |>dial tone

    Go into Hyperterm and type ATZ <enter>
    this will reset the modem.

    --