    oscilloscope. The problem sometimes occurs during the boot process but
    usually 5 minutes after boot.

    Peter F.

    Peter Fournia, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Peter Fournia

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:27:47 GMT, Peter Fournia <> wrote:

    >How does one isolate the source of computer errors among the
    >Motherboard, RAM or Microprocessor?
    >
    >My computer occasionally shuts down some programs and locks up with
    >other programs when I operate at 133 Mhz Clock speed. This does not
    >occur at 100 Mhz clock speed. I replaced the motherboard but the
    >symptoms returned but less sever. So now I suspect the Athlon 1Ghz
    >microprocessor or the PC133 SDRAM. Could it be something else? The
    >power supply voltages look OK although I did not look for noise with a
    >oscilloscope. The problem sometimes occurs during the boot process but
    >usually 5 minutes after boot.
    >
    >Peter F.

    Lockups are generally memory related. If you have two sticks, remove one
    and see if the problem goes away. If not, swap out the other.
    Better yet, borrow a known good stick.

    Unk, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Peter Fournia

    Bluesky Guest

    I can concur
    Every blue screen and lock up I have had in the last years
    has always been memory related

    --
    Cheers
    Paul [Bluesky Marketing]

    OFFER 20% Off Gadgets/Lasers/Nodding Dogs !

    http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk/shopaff.asp?affid=12
    Then enter - newsgroup - as coupon at checkout to get discount

    Bluesky, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Peter Fournia wrote:

    > How does one isolate the source of computer errors among the
    > Motherboard, RAM or Microprocessor?

    > My computer occasionally shuts down some programs and locks up with
    > other programs when I operate at 133 Mhz Clock speed. This does not
    > occur at 100 Mhz clock speed. I replaced the motherboard but the
    > symptoms returned but less sever. So now I suspect the Athlon 1Ghz
    > microprocessor or the PC133 SDRAM. Could it be something else? The

    That CPU's probably not wonky unless you don't have it adequately
    cooled. More likely a memory thing. Got a buddy with a PC133 stick
    or two you can try?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Boulder Pledge http://blinkynet.net/spag/boulder.html

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Peter Fournia

    philo Guest

    "Peter Fournia" <> wrote in message
    > How does one isolate the source of computer errors among the
    > Motherboard, RAM or Microprocessor?
    >
    > My computer occasionally shuts down some programs and locks up with
    > other programs when I operate at 133 Mhz Clock speed. This does not
    > occur at 100 Mhz clock speed. I replaced the motherboard but the
    > symptoms returned but less sever. So now I suspect the Athlon 1Ghz
    > microprocessor or the PC133 SDRAM. Could it be something else? The
    > power supply voltages look OK although I did not look for noise with a
    > oscilloscope. The problem sometimes occurs during the boot process but
    > usually 5 minutes after boot.
    >
    > Peter F.

    I'd say that it is probably the RAM...especially of you are using the
    "generic"
    type.

    philo, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Peter Fournia

    RJB Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:27:47 GMT, Peter Fournia wrote:

    > How does one isolate the source of computer errors among the
    > Motherboard, RAM or Microprocessor?
    >
    > My computer occasionally shuts down some programs and locks up with
    > other programs when I operate at 133 Mhz Clock speed. This does not
    > occur at 100 Mhz clock speed. I replaced the motherboard but the
    > symptoms returned but less sever. So now I suspect the Athlon 1Ghz
    > microprocessor or the PC133 SDRAM. Could it be something else? The
    > power supply voltages look OK although I did not look for noise with a
    > oscilloscope. The problem sometimes occurs during the boot process but
    > usually 5 minutes after boot.
    >
    > Peter F.

    Are you saying you have your FSB to 133? If so lower it to 100. AFAIK the
    only AMD's using 133 FSB are Bartons.
    --
    RJB
    12/18/2003 3:32:38 PM

    "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of
    incompetence."
    -Laurence J. Peter

    RJB, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Peter Fournia

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Peter Fournia said:

    > How does one isolate the source of computer errors among the
    > Motherboard, RAM or Microprocessor?
    >
    > My computer occasionally shuts down some programs and locks up with
    > other programs when I operate at 133 Mhz Clock speed. This does not
    > occur at 100 Mhz clock speed. I replaced the motherboard but the
    > symptoms returned but less sever. So now I suspect the Athlon 1Ghz
    > microprocessor or the PC133 SDRAM. Could it be something else? The
    > power supply voltages look OK although I did not look for noise with a
    > oscilloscope. The problem sometimes occurs during the boot process but
    > usually 5 minutes after boot.
    >
    > Peter F.

    Check your cpu's temperature.
    Make sure you have fan with a high airflow.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 18, 2003