    Martin R. Howell
    "Photographs From the Universe of Amateur Astronomy"
    http://members.isp.com/
    Martin, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Martin

    kenny Guest

    There is probably a SHELL EXTENSION that is messing with your system.

    Download this utility and disable all NON microsoft shell extensions accept
    ones for your antivirus (if you there is one for that) (these are the PINK
    ones on the list)

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

    After you do that restart and see if it has fixed. Please tell me if this
    fixes your issue
    Kenny S www.computerboom.com
    HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.

    kenny, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Martin

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Martin <> wrote in

    > This just started today. Yesterday I installed XP service pack 2 if
    > that has anything to do with it.
    >
    > I right click an icon on the desktop and everything freezes up. I
    > can't even get the start menu to come up. Just an hourglas that
    > doesn't go away and prevents me from clicking anything. I have to
    > unplug the power and disconnect the battery and then turn the computer
    > back on to be able to "move" again.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Dr. DivX installed?
    If so add EncodeDivXExt.dll to the exception list for Data Execution
    Prevention.
    Control Panel-System-Advanced-Performance Settings-Data Execution
    Prevention. Browse to the DrDivx folder and type (cut 'n paste) the
    filename.

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Sep 23, 2005